OT: Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2024 Season Thread (0-3) - Looking for answers - Next at Calgary June 29 600pm

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Harder to feel that bad about that game compared to the other two.

The secondary and defensive line was way too thin and play calling didn’t really make adjustments to counteract that. Still played their conservative “bend don’t break” junk with no pressure and pitiful coverage. Offence finally started to get rolling but they were completely out of bodies, too.

Play calling was tomfoolerish at the end of the first but the team did get shafted by the league there. BC is supposed to be a top team in the league and we hung with them with all these backups … but 0-3 is a hole to climb and there are multiple concerns with this team that any moral victory won’t make up for.

Reactions: FonRiesen

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Lots of problems with this team... can be fixed but...

Offence
Buck's play calling is pretty blah - ghosts of Lapo... rinky dink trick plays and no creativity with Oliviera
Running game is getting us points so Buck abandons it
OL gets pushed around a lot

Defence
Richie Hall D - without elite DEs
Alexander has lost a step and Holm is getting abused this season
I don't see closing speed in Kramdi or Wilson...
Thomas/Schmekel are just not good enough
WJ spying all game - didn't make much sense

ST
Chris Smith looks solid
Coverage teams looked good

Osh with some bad coaching and bad personnel decisions so far...

Reactions: snowkiddin

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
BVdlVnICQAADO9I.jpg

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
And hey, I thought Smith showed some good burst last night. Maybe all isn’t lost.
He later returned to the game, but point still kinda stands.

I agree on Smith, he showed more last game than Myron Mitchell did in either of his.

All isn't lost, IMO. This team is BADLY banged up. They had to use a QB as a WR last game. Large portions of the DL, DB, and WR corps are out with injuries. They will grit out a couple of wins here over the next few weeks, if they can get to the bye at around 4-5 into week 10 and getting healthy for a second half push with 9 games and 3 bye weeks, watch out. This team could easily do what Montreal did last year.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Bombers brought back Ravi Alston. Spent much of 2023 on the PR and appeared in one game failing to record a stat. He was in camp this year but was released in the first week of camp.

WR corps may look like this to open next game
FWR - Drew Wolitarsky
BWR - Josh Johnson (0 career CFL games)
SB - Nic Demski
SB - Ontaria Wilson (3 career CFL games, 4 career catches)
SB - Kevens Clercius (3 career CFL games, 0 career catches?)/Myron Mitchell (2 career CFL games, 0 career catches)/Ravi Alston (1 career CFL games, 0 career catches)

Going to be a VERY young WR corps with Schoen, Lawler both out.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Bombers brought back Ravi Alston. Spent much of 2023 on the PR and appeared in one game failing to record a stat. He was in camp this year but was released in the first week of camp.

FWR - Drew Wolitarsky
SB - Nic Demski
SB - Kevens Clercius (3 career CFL games, 0 career catches?)/Myron Mitchell (2 career CFL games, 0 career catches)/Ravi Alston (1 career CFL games, 0 career catches)

Hopefully these guys show a bit more than Ontaria Wilson

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Hopefully these guys show a bit more than Ontaria Wilson
I'm hoping we give Clercius a chance. I'm a fan of what ive seen from him. He was WIDE open in the endzone last game from the 7 but Collaros decided to dump it underneath instead and we settled for a FG. Big physical Canadian kid.

Wilson is going to need to step up. Only reason he's still in the lineup, IMO, is due to the injuries. This is his chance and if he doesn't get it done over the next couple of weeks with crazy injuries in WR corps, he's gone.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

FWR - Drew Wolitarsky
SB - Nic Demski

This does not instill confidence

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
This does not instill confidence
True. However, it's also opportunity for these guys. Maybe we have a star hiding here somewhere and this is his chance. Josh Johnson was reportedly one of the stars of the camp. Clercius is a Canadian kid with plenty of upside. I watched Mitchell alot as a WR in pre-season and I saw him open alot, just Wilson/Barriere/Grainger couldn't get him the ball.

Funny note, despite all the doom and gloom (not saying you specifically Wolfhouse, just in general around the Bombers) the betting people are not on the same bandwagon. Bombers are opening as 4 point FAVOURITES over the Stamps in Calgary this week.

Last edited:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
True. However, it's also opportunity for these guys. Maybe we have a star hiding here somewhere and this is his chance. Josh Johnson was reportedly one of the stars of the camp. Clercius is a Canadian kid with plenty of upside. I watched Mitchell alot as a WR in pre-season and I saw him open alot, just Wilson/Barriere/Grainger couldn't get him the ball.

Funny note, despite all the doom and gloom (not saying you specifically Wolfhouse, just in general around the Bombers) the betting people are not on the same bandwagon. Bombers are opening as 4 point FAVOURITES over the Stamps in Calgary this week.
Also seeing lots of fans of others teams absolutely slobbering their knobberings over the fact the Bombers window has slammed shut.

Call it copium but I was honestly encouraged by how we battled BC given how decimated this team is by injuries right now. The secondary got creamed but it was a good portion of backups and VAJ had all day because our training camp cuts started on the DL.

It won't be easy and there are still lots of issues that need correcting but hopefully if this team gets healthy they can go on a run.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

I mean the Stamps also suck...

Offence still looks good - if Buck maximizes Demski/Oliviera/Strev - I still don't see enough playaction or quick outs/screens to Oliviera... hopefully he has no choice now

Defence is the scary one - they have looked 'decent' at times... but Holm/Alexander/Kramdi have been abused every game

Really surprised that the Bombers haven't found real LB depth... Cole is a bright spot but I am not a fan of Karamoko's game and Wilson has aged out - I don't see closing speed anywhere in the secondary

Think the DL will come together if we can move on from Thomas and not have injuries every game - Younger calling a really conservative game though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad