Winnipeg Attendance

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
lol read the article dude, it says the exact opposite of what you’re claiming.

The company that OWNS the jets hasn’t lost money since 2011, in part because they get a ton of revenue from hosting concerts and other events at their arena.

The Jets themselves have in fact lost money, and that’s even with the payments they receive through the NHL’s revenue sharing program.

In fact the team’s chairman is quoted in the article as saying Winnipeg is not a viable NHL market without revenue sharing (aka the “Welfare payments” southern teams are so often ridiculed for relying on), and that the Jets would have never been able to return without those payments.

the hilarious thing is that "technically doesn't lose money when you factor in the money from concerts!" is exactly the same position the Florida Panthers were in with their own attendance struggles and unlike Winnipeg at least had the excuse of being a bad team for most of that

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Hockey just doesn’t work in Canada outside of the biggest cities. Meanwhile Jacksonville Florida, one of the largest North American markets, sits unused despite Florida clearly being hockey Mecca.

• Haha
Reactions: These Are The Days

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Team isn't going anywhere. When the owner said this is unsustainable last year he clarified and said he meant spending to the cap ceiling. And you notice that already this year a few million under cap max. Worse case scenario they spend to the floor unless attendance picks up. and as interest rates drop over next few years attendance will increase.

Reactions: Monkey D Luffy

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
we get taxed almost 50% does anyone in Canada have money to go to a game? other than the super rich?

we also just had like 2 or 3 years of Arizona playing in a 5k arena and we were all told ts fine. little below 13k is incredible compared

Hockey just doesn’t work in Canada outside of the biggest cities. Meanwhile Jacksonville Florida, one of the largest North American markets, sits unused despite Florida clearly being hockey Mecca.
did anyone in Florida care 10 years ago when they were shit?
fans go to these teams games when they are good. when they are losing most avoid

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
View attachment 916924
Sub 13k during a long weekend coming off a successful season + playoffs. What gives Winnipeg? The media keeps harping on how Quebec city deserves a team but given that Winnipeg is in the smallest arena and cannot sell out consistently with a good team in a larger market - I don't see any further teams in Canada.
Their attendance hasn't been great for more than this past season, it's nice when you have Billionaire owners that can take that hit, but that's not a team that's generating much revenue and eventually the ownership will start to ask questions why a team that makes the playoffs regularly (6 of their last 7 seasons), continues to have a bottom 5 attendance in the league.

I'm not saying it's been crap forever, the Jets had pretty decent attendance, around 15k average before the covid season hit. After that, they haven't been able to rebound at all attendance wise and in that span - the 3 seasons after, they missed the playoff once and made them back to back heading into this season, although both were 1st round exits.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
lol read the article dude, it says the exact opposite of what you’re claiming.

The company that OWNS the jets hasn’t lost money since 2011, in part because they get a ton of revenue from hosting concerts and other events at their arena.

The Jets themselves have in fact lost money, and that’s even with the payments they receive through the NHL’s revenue sharing program.

In fact the team’s chairman is quoted in the article as saying Winnipeg is not a viable NHL market without revenue sharing (aka the “Welfare payments” southern teams are so often ridiculed for relying on), and that the Jets would have never been able to return without those payments.
Yeah along with a whole bunch of other NHL teams. You think its just the Jets that require revenue sharing??? The overall point still stands, True North is a cash cow with their fingers in numerous pies. A couple thousand empty seats isnt going to bankrupt them, let along force them to move the Jets. These threads are a f***ing joke and a waste of time. Just a place for trolls to bash Winnipeg.

Last edited:
Reactions: Monkey D Luffy

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Bomber tickets are far more than $35 average, I actually haven't seen a $35 ticket since before the pandemic. The seats I usually get are the dead last row at the 55 yard line (that's not a typo, HFAmericans) and they're like $55-60 each in the regular season and $78 in the playoffs. I think the cheapest ticket in the house is around $45? It's easy to drop $100 on a Bomber ticket, but they have the support of the city because they make the right moves. TNSE can learn a lot from them.

People here talk about Blue Bombers ticket prices like they are junior A hockey but in reality they are broadly similar to Jets ticket prices. Bomber season tickets range between $24-$167 a game. Jets season ticket prices are $40-$206 a game. Obviously season tickets for the Jets are substantially more expensive in total because there's 4x the number of home games. But for a casual fan looking for a night out, the difference is not that vast.

Personally I spend more money on Blue Bombers tickets than I do on the Jets in any given season. But that said, the Jets are moving in the right direction... the team is doing well, and the game experience is improving. Keep doing that and the Jets will soon be in the same boat as the Bombers.

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
Their attendance hasn't been great for more than this past season, it's nice when you have Billionaire owners that can take that hit, but that's not a team that's generating much revenue and eventually the ownership will start to ask questions why a team that makes the playoffs regularly (6 of their last 7 seasons), continues to have a bottom 5 attendance in the league.

I'm not saying it's been crap forever, the Jets had pretty decent attendance, around 15k average before the covid season hit. After that, they haven't been able to rebound at all attendance wise and in that span - the 3 seasons after, they missed the playoff once and made them back to back heading into this season, although both were 1st round exits.
The arena holds 15k

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
we get taxed almost 50% does anyone in Canada have money to go to a game? other than the super rich?

we also just had like 2 or 3 years of Arizona playing in a 5k arena and we were all told ts fine. little below 13k is incredible compared

did anyone in Florida care 10 years ago when they were shit?
fans go to these teams games when they are good. when they are losing most avoid

apparently not

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
They did say "markets like Miami", and I think it's hard to argue that the Panthers don't play in the Miami market.

You didn't quibble with "Bay Area" even though there's only one team at one edge of the bay.
The way I see it, if you were to pick up the city if Miami and place it somewhere I Kansas, the Pathers will go with them. They may not actually be geographically located in Miami, but they are there because of Miami. Same goes for the Ottawa (Kanata) Senators and even the New England (Boston) Patriots.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Jets fans can try to defend these diminishing numbers all they want but if this continues, you will not have a team down the road.....the problem for the Jets is that Manitoba is not a rich province....those are facts....are regardless of how rich their ownership is, they will not be happy about losing money......simple economics.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It costs $60 Canadian (~$43 USD) to sit in the back of the arena, in this economy? f*** no. You can get tickets to watch the florida panthers a team whom just won the Stanley cup for half the price (~$20 USD)
*Screams, laughs, and cries in Madison Square Garden*

Reactions: Ossific

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
The way I see it, if you were to pick up the city if Miami and place it somewhere I Kansas, the Pathers will go with them. They may not actually be geographically located in Miami, but they are there because of Miami. Same goes for the Ottawa (Kanata) Senators and even the New England (Boston) Patriots.

Sounds like something Thanos would do.

Ossific

Aug 23, 2010
Jets fans can try to defend these diminishing numbers all they want but if this continues, you will not have a team down the road.....the problem for the Jets is that Manitoba is not a rich province....those are facts....are regardless of how rich their ownership is, they will not be happy about losing money......simple economics.
Thanks.... for your....simple interpretation...

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Hard to argue that statement regarding the Champions State

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad