Winnipeg Attendance

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
The blue bombers had a big game the same night with over 30k people.
That was the season opener on Friday, which overlapped with the Bomber game. A 33,000+ sellout for the Bombers and 14,564 at the Jets game. This thread is about disappointing attendance at the second game that happened during thanksgiving dinner, and is ridiculously overblown.

Ossific

Aug 23, 2010
Hi. I'm from Winnipeg. I had to host a Thanksgiving family dinner at 5:00PM. Everyone wanted to watch the Bombers game after. Just a bad time to have a Jets game, we'll be fine.

Last edited:

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
View attachment 916924
Sub 13k during a long weekend coming off a successful season + playoffs. What gives Winnipeg? The media keeps harping on how Quebec city deserves a team but given that Winnipeg is in the smallest arena and cannot sell out consistently with a good team in a larger market - I don't see any further teams in Canada.

You're wondering why, on Canadian Thanksgiving, people may not attend a dinner-time game?

Reactions: BLNY and hui43210

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
But would it really be much different for the team's overall finances at only 95% capacity? Explain please.
If they were at 95+% capacity this isn't a discussion. But they aren't. Last year they were close to 85%. And the real issue is the dwindling season ticket base. It's at ~10,000 people right now when it needs to be closer to 13,000. They reduced prices by 10-15% for season ticket packages and saw a gain of only 500 (~5% gain). By lowering those prices they may be bringing in less season ticket money this year. If the average ticket price was $100 last year and $90 this year they lose 50k of revenue per game compared to last year.

Plus, there is a massive difference in getting 5000 mores people in the building every night compared to 2000. Businesses plan most around guaranteed income and that isn't where it needs to be. Winnipeg as a locale also will have less corporate sponsorship which does put extra pressure on fans to fill the seats.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Please tell me why I, as s fan, am better off with every-game sellouts and ridiculous ticket prices.

Thanks in advance.

I said this exact same thing when I lived in AZ. Tickets were cheap because people didn't go to the games(and honestly, when I had season tickets, I didn't go to half the games because I didn't want to drive all the way out there). This forum has a hard on for full arenas. If the league was more popular, it wouldn't matter who showed up to the games, because they'd be financially fine because of TV money.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
If they were at 95+% capacity this isn't a discussion. But they aren't. Last year they were close to 85%. And the real issue is the dwindling season ticket base. It's at ~10,000 people right now when it needs to be closer to 13,000. They reduced prices by 10-15% for season ticket packages and saw a gain of only 500 (~5% gain). By lowering those prices they may be bringing in less season ticket money this year. If the average ticket price was $100 last year and $90 this year they lose 50k of revenue per game compared to last year.

Plus, there is a massive difference in getting 5000 mores people in the building every night compared to 2000. Businesses plan most around guaranteed income and that isn't where it needs to be. Winnipeg as a locale also will have less corporate sponsorship which does put extra pressure on fans to fill the seats.
Yeah, but the Jets' owner has like $60+B so this difference wouldn't even be a noticeable rounding error.

If the Jets were owned by the Poor Sisters of the Downtrodden who were using the business profits to buy their daily macaroni & cheese these attendance figures might be a big deal, but such is not the case.

Also, for all the owners, the real profit is in franchise appreciation. Just look at Meruelo and that mess that he had in Phoenix with the Coyotes playing their last years in a college stadium with limited seating. At the end of the day, Meruelo paid $425M for the franchise and sold it for a cool $1B -- a profit of $575M.

Reactions: jetsmooseice

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario

One game data sample. On thanksgiving. Don’t blame Winnipeggers for the NHL’s incompetence in scheduling. The NHL doesn’t even schedule games on US thanksgiving because turnout is going to be awful - but for us with our slightly reduced ticket prices, it means we’re a terrible hockey market? Get lost.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
It is unfortunate. It really depends on the owner and how he sees it. If he thinks he can make more money in another market, then it will become a real problem.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
The Toronto Leafblowers would be a fun team. Charge half the price for tickets and fans can bring foam leaf blowers to every game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad