Winners and losers of the 2024 NHL draft?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
I liked the Capitals draft way more than most. I'm higher on Parascak than everyone besides Craig Button, Hutson has very good offensive upside, Muggli has shown he can be a solid pro D as a 17 year old, and Protas was pretty good in the USHL last year. Sure, this draft could backfire on them, but I thought they got solid value, especially since they drafted Malenstyn (a 4th liner) for a mid 2nd.
Did you intend to type 'traded' Malenstyn for a mid 2nd? (Which was used to select Huston.)

Beck was originally a 5th round pick.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Much too early to know if a team won/lost.

I "draft" as Buffalo and Detroit (Mom's Basement Stakes). Last year I was confident I had a better haul than Detroit--but a year later ASP and Augustine look to be good picks, so I would say DRW and my picks are close. Though I still prefer Brzustewicz/Pekarcik/Fischer to Gibson/Cleveland/Dower-Nilsson.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
I liked ANA SJ MIN CGY WSH and MTL just because of Demidov and Hage, I think we got 2 top 6 in the first round, amazing picks

IMO PHI TOR EDM draft were not that good

Last edited:

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
A few thoughts:

1. I think the criticism of the Flyers for taking Luchanko at 13 (not that they took him, but that they didn't trade down & get more) is incorrect. If they wanted *him*, they should not have traded down. If, on the other hand, they had 2-3 players they'd have loved to get, then they absolutely should have traded down. I know one shouldn't always consider fit or need wrt drafting, but their need & his fit there make Luchanko an excellent fit for Philadelphia. If there's a team that can insulate a center who is slightly undersized, it's Philadelphia. If there's a team who needs a center who help get their speedy goal scoring wingers out on transition, it's the Flyers, and Luchanko can do that. I don't know enough about their other picks to say much more, but I think what they did made sense. I think Luchanko's athleticism, late August birth date, and hockey sense him had him flying up boards. As a NYI fan who wanted him, the week before the draft gave me a sinking feeling that he'd be long gone by 20. And he was.

2. Opinions divide on Levshunov. I don't know enough to have an opinion. But Boisvert, Vanacker, Mustand, and Spellacy are quite a haul of forwards who could play diverse roles. Perhaps they should have gotten another D, but boy did they get a load of projectible forwards.

3. Utah drafted 6 defenders, and 5 are 6'2" or larger. One smells a strategy.

4. I'm a NYI fan, so a note: This felt like a Garth Snow draft probably because of the two goalies, and some home run swings. While some Garth Snow drafts were pretty bad (and weird), some were really good - 2008 & 2009 in particular. At any rate, I said before the draft that in the unlikely event Eiserman should fall to them, they should pick him, and they did. So, I'm glad they did. I'm also very happy with Bednarik, don't know Pulkkinin, and like the Gidlof. pick, I'm sure picking the 6'2" athletic but streaky russian goalie from CSKA was done with some insider knowledge. Like Montreal, I felt like they let the draft come to them, and did well that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Devonator and Maitz

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
A few thoughts:

1. I think the criticism of the Flyers for taking Luchanko at 13 (not that they took him, but that they didn't trade down & get more) is incorrect. If they wanted *him*, they should not have traded down. If, on the other hand, they had 2-3 players they'd have loved to get, then they absolutely should have traded down. I know one shouldn't always consider fit or need wrt drafting, but their need & his fit there make Luchanko an excellent fit for Philadelphia. If there's a team that can insulate a center who is slightly undersized, it's Philadelphia. If there's a team who needs a center who help get their speedy goal scoring wingers out on transition, it's the Flyers, and Luchanko can do that. I don't know enough about their other picks to say much more, but I think what they did made sense. I think Luchanko's athleticism, late August birth date, and hockey sense him had him flying up boards. As a NYI fan who wanted him, the week before the draft gave me a sinking feeling that he'd be long gone by 20. And he was.

The talk about fit is a part of the problem. I don't mind taking Luchanko at #13, I had him there on my own list, but Briere's rationale for passing on Buium was all about not having room for another small D with Andrae and York already in the system. I think Buium is going to be much better than those guys, a real All-Star, and a better move would be to draft Buium and trade lesser D later if it gets crowded. And Luchanko is the kind of guy that would fit on any team.

2. Opinions divide on Levshunov. I don't know enough to have an opinion. But Boisvert, Vanacker, Mustand, and Spellacy are quite a haul of forwards who could play diverse roles. Perhaps they should have gotten another D, but boy did they get a load of projectible forwards.

The forwards are fine with where they took them, especially Marek Vanacker. But Levshunov is not top pair material in my opinion, and that's going to live with them for a long time. You only get so many top picks.

3. Utah drafted 6 defenders, and 5 are 6'2" or larger. One smells a strategy.

Bill Armstrong has talked at length about how he wants a big heavy D group that will weigh on opponents. Lamoreux, Simashev, etc... they're going to be towers.

4. I'm a NYI fan, so a note: This felt like a Garth Snow draft probably because of the two goalies, and some home run swings. While some Garth Snow drafts were pretty bad (and weird), some were really good - 2008 & 2009 in particular. At any rate, I said before the draft that in the unlikely event Eiserman should fall to them, they should pick him, and they did. So, I'm glad they did. I'm also very happy with Bednarik, don't know Pulkkinin, and like the Gidlof. pick, I'm sure picking the 6'2" athletic but streaky russian goalie from CSKA was done with some insider knowledge. Like Montreal, I felt like they let the draft come to them, and did well that way.

You should watch some Jesse Pulkkinen highlights. He's incredible. 6'6 physical defender with amazing hands who can make amazing plays. In game footage you'll also see some warts, but he's a late bloomer and might be an all-star someday. I had him 10th on my list.

Reactions: saintunspecified

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Winners:
SJS - Easily the best draft. They get the best player, as well as a guy who should've been gone before 11. Whether you think they should've taken Buium doesn't matter, it was a win-win scenario, and Dickinson is one of the more sure-fire things in the draft. Getting Chernyshov at 33 was the cherry on top.

MTL - Great first round. 2 guys they clearly needed, and all the skill in the world.

MIN - Buium, Ritchie, Kiviharju are all great where they got them.

ANA - Where they took Sennecke might not please a lot of people, but walking out of the draft with Sennecke, Solberg, Pettersson, Masse, and Smith is great.

Losers:
CHI - This is coming from a guy who was high on Levshunov all year...having as bad a year as Chicago just had, and coming out of the 1st round with Levshunov and Boivert (especially after trading up) is just not ideal. They got some NHL players, but when you come 2nd last in the entire league, you want more. Maybe it's not fair to call them a loser when the draft just lacked that clear #2 overall.

PHI - Like Luchanko...but not at 13. Maybe he's only a reach by a couple spots, but you had the chance to get some better players. That other trade was also very questionable.

• Haha
Reactions: dj Mahoney

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Originally I thought it was to target stolberg,

or maybe a more enticing piece for a potential trade they were working on, if Demidov didn’t fall to them

I'm not sure if it was one guy being targeted, but comments after the draft by the front office and prior to the draft in Montreal media makes it sound like Hage was at the very least one of the guys being targeted.

It sounds like if someone taken earlier who Montreal wasn't targeting was available instead of Hage, that Montreal had a trade including the 21st pick ready to go.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'm not sure if it was one guy being targeted, but comments after the draft by the front office and prior to the draft in Montreal media makes it sound like Hage was at the very least one of the guys being targeted.

It sounds like if someone taken earlier who Montreal wasn't targeting was available instead of Hage, that Montreal had a trade including the 21st pick ready to go.
Ya I’m sure they prob had a cut off of tier of player at some point…. And have enough of a prospect pool that they can afford to jump up and guarantee they are getting a player in their 3rd tier

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Trying to determine winners/losers a few days after the draft is generally futile.

That said, I feel bad for whichever venue has to host next year's draft. The Sphere was fantastic and will be a tough act to follow.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Winners:
SJS - Easily the best draft. They get the best player, as well as a guy who should've been gone before 11. Whether you think they should've taken Buium doesn't matter, it was a win-win scenario, and Dickinson is one of the more sure-fire things in the draft. Getting Chernyshov at 33 was the cherry on top.

MTL - Great first round. 2 guys they clearly needed, and all the skill in the world.

MIN - Buium, Ritchie, Kiviharju are all great where they got them.

ANA - Where they took Sennecke might not please a lot of people, but walking out of the draft with Sennecke, Solberg, Pettersson, Masse, and Smith is great.

Losers:
CHI - This is coming from a guy who was high on Levshunov all year...having as bad a year as Chicago just had, and coming out of the 1st round with Levshunov and Boivert (especially after trading up) is just not ideal. They got some NHL players, but when you come 2nd last in the entire league, you want more. Maybe it's not fair to call them a loser when the draft just lacked that clear #2 overall.

PHI - Like Luchanko...but not at 13. Maybe he's only a reach by a couple spots, but you had the chance to get some better players. That other trade was also very questionable.
Blackhawks had a better draft then Sharks . Dream On Man .

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Blackhawks had a better draft then Sharks . Dream On Man .

1000004067.gif

Reactions: ThorNton Apologist

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
People in glasses houses and all that 🤣.

You definitely are going down that road less traveled. Better bring that cart with you.
Any idea why you didnt sign Ben Gaudreau ? Your last two drafts good , the previous decade pathetic . Still bitter about Brian Campbell lol, 3 CUP's for Blackhawks recently , more on the way !! Have a good day sport .

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad