Winners and losers of the 2024 NHL draft?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
I am curious to know who Montreal was targeting when they moved up to 21.

It sounds like Hage. They definitely spent of lot of energy following him throughout the year.

I'm guessing they had some intel that one of the 22-25 teams was in on him. Hughes also said they had a backup plan if Hage was gone before 21.

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
The contention that Anaheim is a loser in this draft because they chose Sennecke over Demidov is so amateur. Look at the players Verbeek has drafted in the first round recently: Carlsson, McTavish, Mintyukov, Sennecke, Solberg, etc. Big, physical bodies that won't be pushed around like Zegras and Terry. Demidov doesn't fit that mold.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Seeing lots of people saying Calgary so I’ll go a bit more in depth for anyone reading not sure why they’re listed. Calgary seemingly decided that with an abundance of draft capital this year, they’d bet on high end skill with plenty of question marks knowing that while there will plenty of misses, the players they get will be impact players. Breaking it down by just production, here’s what it looks like:
PlayerRoundLeaguePos.PointsGP
Parekh1 (9)OHLD9666
Gridin 1 (28)USHLRW8360
Basha2WHLLW8563
Battaglia2OHLRW6567
Mews3OHLD6165
Hoskin4OJHLRW10052
Misa 5OHLC8166
Jamieson6WHLD3266

Plenty of high level of production there, even across the later rounds. Most won’t make it due to their limitations that made them slide to the spot Calgary picked, but the ones who do should have a high level of impact.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Sometimes it’s best to not overthink it …. And just take the guys that fall to you

I feel like minnasota has kinda had that happen to them for a few years

Credit to Guerin, he works the phones really well, and has traded up 1-2 spots for both Buium and Wallstedt now. No guarantee either of them make it to the Wild's original pick, but Guerin made sure they secured those guys.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Credit to Guerin, he works the phones really well, and has traded up 1-2 spots for both Buium and Wallstedt now. No guarantee either of them make it to the Wild's original pick, but Guerin made sure they secured those guys.
Fair, i meant it as a compliment... that they were prob considered falling and wild did what they needed to do to grab these guys.

Been a big fan of what Minnasota has done in the draft the last little while(with minimal in terms of high picks)... i feel like the Wild and the Hurricanes just put on clinics.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Fair, i meant it as a compliment... that they were prob considered falling and wild did what they needed to do to grab these guys.

Been a big fan of what Minnasota has done in the draft the last little while(with minimal in terms of high picks)... i feel like the Wild and the Hurricanes just put on clinics.

Yeah I'm definitely glad they haven't tried to be the smartest guys in the room. We'll see how they all turn out now, but can't ask for much more yet. We have gotten pretty lucky that some of these guys dropped in the first place though.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yeah I'm definitely glad they haven't tried to be the smartest guys in the room. We'll see how they all turn out now, but can't ask for much more yet. We have gotten pretty lucky that some of these guys dropped in the first place though.
Getting kiviharju at 122 seems pretty wild(no pun)

Like ritchie at 45 too (i was thinking thats who wed go for at our original 31 pick, or 35)

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Getting kiviharju at 122 seems pretty wild(no pun)

Like ritchie at 45 too (i was thinking thats who wed go for at our original 31 pick, or 35)

I think most of their picks the last several years have been fallers. Rossi "fell", Boldy fell, Wallstedt, Lambos, Yurov, Heidt, Buium, Ritchie, Kiviharju all considered fallers. It's kind of incredible actually.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Pittsburgh the big loser. Take this with a grain of salt, as I am a Caps fan.

This organization is struggling with the “in between times”, and seem to be making things worse.

It’s time to blow it up Pittsburgh.
? They got a 2nd for free and made ok picks.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
besides Montreal and San Jose...I thought Calgary had a pretty solid draft....Parekh, Gridin, Basha, Mews, Misa all real good picks.

I still think Montreal missed the boat not taking Thomas Lavoie in the draft, they drafted Sawyer just before him.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
What if you added in their two dmen, Solberg and Dickinson? Who won the battle of the best F and D twosome?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
The contention that Anaheim is a loser in this draft because they chose Sennecke over Demidov is so amateur. Look at the players Verbeek has drafted in the first round recently: Carlsson, McTavish, Mintyukov, Sennecke, Solberg, etc. Big, physical bodies that won't be pushed around like Zegras and Terry. Demidov doesn't fit that mold.

So? They've made some picks, none of whom have proven much yet. Time will tell.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
No argument that Demidov is a non-stop highlight reel now. But everything that Verbeek does - every single draft pick and trade - is with the playoffs in mind. I really believe that as time and space disappears, Sennecke will not. He proved that in the recent OHL playoffs. I'm not sure we can say the same about Demidov but only time will tell.
How did Demidov do in the MHL playoffs?

Anaheim reached. It may work out, but only time will tell.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I liked the Capitals draft way more than most. I'm higher on Parascak than everyone besides Craig Button, Hutson has very good offensive upside, Muggli has shown he can be a solid pro D as a 17 year old, and Protas was pretty good in the USHL last year. Sure, this draft could backfire on them, but I thought they got solid value, especially since they traded Malenstyn (a 4th liner) for a mid 2nd.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $27,750.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 2