THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I saw these player spots a bit different:

Talbot > Husso/Reimer

Tarasenko > Perron

Berggren >= Sprong

Motte vs. Fabbri, totally different dimension, more defence and 1.PK add, less production at 4th line minutes.

Edvinsson = Walman. Edvinsson could be equal as Walman, but you need to open a future slot to bank for better future years.

Gustafsson = Gostisbehere, secondary PP weapon instead of primary, better defence, less offence.

Snively > updated Czarnik.

Lagesson = Simek

Campbell = Hutchinson
I think veleno is going on the trade block

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
That time Wings was on the top of NHL , pretty much competition was AVS only. Don't remember myself even researching prospects, especially late rounds. When Datsyuk joined Red Wings, I was like who is this guy? Why i never heard about him
I think I knew that Dats was an interesting prospect from snippets online, but it wasn't until his training camp that it became clear he was an exciting arrival. On the other hand we all knew about Zetterberg in advance.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
On this signing, it has multiple areas of value
1) incremental improvement on wing
2) experience of winning SC twice in 2 very different organsiations
3) excitement. while not the player he was, Tarasenko and Kane will both put bums on seats, and give us some magical moments, which given where this team has been for the last 7-8 years is very welcome.

Just had a flash back to when the Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzzi line started red hot and for about a month was one of the top 5 lines in the NHL....at least Stevie is trying to build solid foundations. As recent FA classes have shown us, its easier to get fairly one dimensional scoring wingers in FA for decent value than D-men or 2-way centers, so our drafting strategy makes sense

Reactions: Winger98 and Henkka

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I think I knew that Dats was an interesting prospect from snippets online, but it wasn't until his training camp that it became clear he was an exciting arrival. On the other hand we all knew about Zetterberg in advance.
Ironically Henk draft year we didn't have first 3 round picks , then seventh round happens.

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
Highly doubt that. Maybe with Kronwall, but some goalie would have taken 30 by now if it was available since Ozzy retired. Feds, Dats and Z all haven't had theirs available to be picked. 91 is a popular number and Feds has been gone a long time and 13 likely would be used by now as well.
Ya I'm referring to kronwalls 55

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Yeah, Datsyuk scored seven points the entire regular season and his team went to the non-televised relegation play the year Detroit drafted him.

There is no way in hell you were watching Russian hockey in 1998. On what channel?

Oh, and, IF he had been making clowns of experienced veterans, he wouldn't have been drafted as #171 as a third year eligible player (with his seven points). He wasn't even on the Russian U18 or U20 national teams as a junior, but you happened to see him clown experienced veterans. Nice job.
tbf to the guy he was talking about watching datsyuk in 2001 not 1998.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Yeah, Datsyuk scored seven points the entire regular season and his team went to the non-televised relegation play the year Detroit drafted him.

There is no way in hell you were watching Russian hockey in 1998. On what channel?

Oh, and, IF he had been making clowns of experienced veterans, he wouldn't have been drafted as #171 as a third year eligible player (with his seven points). He wasn't even on the Russian U18 or U20 national teams as a junior, but you happened to see him clown experienced veterans. Nice job.
Relax man…

Imagine Senko finds a second wind and pops off for us. Would be like signing a 1 line winger who’s a still a stud.

Still see him getting 55-65 points. Which is better than both Perron and Fabbri.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
I have always liked Tank and Ive been pumped since the signing. I really dont get how there is still doom and gloom around here. So they didnt move Holl, boohoo. Hell be the 7th or 8th dman when its said and done. We get burgers in for Sprong, Tank in for Perron, and kept Kane. And unless the wheels fall of Talbot, we upgraded in net. GR will be stacked again, weve got Kasper and Nate ready to step in if theres an injury. And there is zero chance we lose Mo or Ray, theres plenty of cap. Im more excited than last year tbh. Cant wait to watch the dev camp scrimmage later today

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
After the final 3 months he had on the season, I think Veleno SHOULD be on the trade block. If we can get rid of Holl's contract by trading Veleno instead of a pick I'm happy with that exchange.
Yeah I’ll gladly take a kid from GR over Veleno…Joe brings nothing, no scoring ability, unable to generate offense, near zero physicality, maybe some defensive awareness - just a waste.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Highly doubt that. Maybe with Kronwall, but some goalie would have taken 30 by now if it was available since Ozzy retired. Feds, Dats and Z all haven't had theirs available to be picked. 91 is a popular number and Feds has been gone a long time and 13 likely would be used by now as well.

Aside from the respect issue, when a player picks a number he always gets compared to previous players that have worn the number. This team hasn't had many players worthy of being compared to a HOFer.

I think someone will eventually wear 30 and 55. D, Z, and Feds are basically unofficially retired.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
So, it took him three years to realize that he was drafted by Detroit? ... I don't know if that makes it more or less of a good story. ;):DD

If he was living in Russia, he probably wasn't paying as much attention to the NHL draft. You really seem to lack perspective.

Personally, I didn't pay any attention to hockey between 1998 and 2000, because I was in grad school and skiing every weekend. I would've had ZERO clue who Datsyuk was.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
If he was living in Russia, he probably wasn't paying as much attention to the NHL draft. You really seem to lack perspective.

Personally, I didn't pay any attention to hockey between 1998 and 2000, because I was in grad school and skiing every weekend. I would've had ZERO clue who Datsyuk was.

Same with me. I'd been staying on top of Wings' picks as best I could since Dionne, but there was little prospect info available for a long time and in 90s family and work got in the way. Datysuk was a nobody. Started to change for me at Salt Lake Olympics with more resources and all games on TV. Still, I knew very little about Z, just some rumors he might be a good one. Watched him in all Sweden games at those Olympics and remember thinking, "Holy shit, I think we've got something." Just shows up now as one assist in four games, but there was so much more to like.

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008

He was talking about how he wanted Chelios late in the 90's and thereby implying he has been a fan of Detroit for at least 25 years. I think you are the one who missed that exact perspective. And I will add on to having a perspective: Now, if you are a Russian routing for Detroit Red Wings and apparently knows the value of both a player like Chelios and a player like Datsyuk (could they be much further apart as players?), how do you NOT know about the relatively few Russian's drafted by your absolute favourite team?

If I was a Russian back then routing for Detroit and seeing this Datsyuk guy absolutely clowning veterans, I would definitely know that he was one of the few Russians taken by my team!!

But he didn't know, so I took the liberty of pointing out the obvious.

Let's not forget Datsyuk wasn't even in top-10 on the scoring list in the Russian league the year he apparently was "clowning" everyone with his 29 points in 46 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad