Confirmed with Link: Wings re-sign Cleary, 1 yr $1.75 MM

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
barring some ridiculously amazing trade by holland, the problem is today and over each of the last five season ken holland is among the worst GM's in all of hockey and possibly north american pro sports.

garth snow looks so good right about now..

:laugh: Overreact much?

Garth Snow has a grand total of 0 playoff series wins, has finished last in his division all but twice in his career, and is responsible for Rick DiPietro being paid for the next 16 years.

Also Jay Feaster still exists.

Holland isn't even the worst GM in the city.

You should look at any Toronto sports franchise...The Raptors and Blue Jays are wastelands of terrible management, the Leafs haven't faired much better, and Toronto FC probably fired 2 more in the time it took me to type this post.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

Garth Snow has a grand total of 0 playoff series wins, has finished last in his division all but twice in his career, and is responsible for Rick DiPietro being paid for the next 16 years.

You should look at any Toronto sports franchise...The Raptors and Blue Jays are wastelands of terrible management, the Leafs haven't faired much better, and Toronto FC probably fired 2 more in the time it took me to type this post.

The Worst GM's in Detroit.

1. Mayhew
2. Dumars
3. Holland
4. Dave Duuuuh

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Is that list going from worst to best?

I think Dombrowski did a good job of filling the hole left by Peralta, and does have a damn good contender built for the time being..

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Is that list going from worst to best?

I think Dombrowski did a good job of filling the hole left by Peralta, and does have a damn good contender built for the time being..

Worst to best.

Holland may be doing pretty awful as late. But Mayhew and Dumars are horrible.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
Z-Pav-Abby
Franzen-Weiss-Alfie
Nyquist-Anderson-Cleary
Tatar-Helm/Emmerton-Miller

Eaves/Bert/Sammy???

or Z-Pav-Alfie
Franzen-Weiss-Cleary
Nyquist-Anderson-Bert
Tatar-Abby-Miller

Eaves/Sammy???

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Well, it's pretty obvious Ken Holland thinks he's GM of a country club and not an NHL hockey club. My hope is this is a way for Danny to save face before getting cut during training camp. He clearly didn't want to go the PTO route and the Flyers were also not willing to guarantee him anything.

Like Brunner he had every opportunity to "test the market" and the league told him to go pound sand. There are some bad GMs in the league, but when no one comes anywhere remotely close to your demands it's pretty obvious you are grossly overrating your talent at this point in your career.

The best case scenario is he gets cut during training camp. He's been injured or completely ineffective for like two years now. As Charles Barkley once pointed out the only person to go undefeated for his entire career is father time.

It's over.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

see here is the problem either you didnt read what i said or you use decisions and players that we have now that came well before the last 5 years as a basis for your support

last 5 years i said quite clearly

playoff success as a result of players from before that dont count

over the last 5 years what decisions/actions has he made that make us better going forward and which has he made that have stunk/were/are bad

compare that list and yah he is among the worst over the last 5 years

bad
-deliberately choosing to keep franzen over hossa
-letting hudler walk for nothing
-letting filppula walk for nothing
-trading Vasilevski/Subban for Quincey
-signing Sammy and giving him a NTC
-signing coliacovo then having to buy him out
-signing bertuzzi
-signing cleary
-unable to identify, draft and develop more then one forward prospect the GM and coach trust to be among our top 12 forwards(article today in SI speaks about this)

good
-signing weiss

Last edited:

RedWingsNow*

Well, it's pretty obvious Ken Holland thinks he's GM of a country club and not an NHL hockey club. My hope is this is a way for Danny to save face before getting cut during training camp. He clearly didn't want to go the PTO route and the Flyers were also not willing to guarantee him anything.

The country club theme was the reason why Dave Lewis was shipped out of town. But Lewis was Holland's pick.
Bowman and Barry Smith liked to make things uncomfortable for players. Lewis, like Holland, was a country club softie.

Holland came to realize he needed a tougher coach and dumped Lewis for Babcock. But Holland's country club attitude is pervasive.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Like Brunner he had every opportunity to "test the market" and the league told him to go pound sand. There are some bad GMs in the league, but when no one comes anywhere remotely close to your demands it's pretty obvious you are grossly overrating your talent at this point in your career.

The best case scenario is he gets cut during training camp. He's been injured or completely ineffective for like two years now. As Charles Barkley once pointed out the only person to go undefeated for his entire career is father time.

It's over.

They have guaranteed contracts, this isn't football. They could waive him, doubt that is being seriously considered at all.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
At least were not whining about the defensive pairings much.

Just wait till DD get's sent down for cap reasons and it's LASHOFF time.

Lashoff if inserted into the lineup due to injury was gonna be the favorite to be the whipping boy. No longer. Dan Cleary bailed Brian out.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Okay at the time Quincey was thought to shore up our blueline and they controlled him with RFA, hasn't panned out but I did agree with the trade and why he did it.

But in any event, they weren't taking either of those goalies. So people who keep bringing up those two are out to lunch. Now would you like Scott Laughton? Sure, I would.

Osgood said Paterson was the best draft goalie he saw in the OHL that season and the guy he wanted the most when scouting them. Yes that means Ozzie was higher on him than Subban. Quite frankly at this point I really like the Paterson pick in the third round. They also went out and got a big rangy college free agent and have completely shored up the goaltending position. But like I am saying the we could have had one of those two thing is doubtful, I don't think they were going to pick one of those guys had they held onto the pick.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
At least were not whining about the defensive pairings much.

Just wait till DD get's sent down for cap reasons and it's LASHOFF time.

Lashoff if inserted into the lineup due to injury was gonna be the favorite to be the whipping boy. No longer. Dan Cleary bailed Brian out.

For some people, the second Lashoff hits the ice he will at least for me take that position. Man does he stink.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
bad
-deliberately choosing to keep franzen over hossaTerrible
-letting hudler walk for nothing Fine with it
-letting filppula walk for nothingSame, yeah I would've liked to of traded him for a first rounder. But that was not gonna happen
-trading Vasilevski/Subban for QuinceyIrrelevant
-signing Sammy and giving him a NTC - Mod Edit
-signing coliacovo then having to buy him outWasn't a bad signing, just didn't work out.
-signing bertuzzi Meh, jury is still out. Depends on his health and production this year.
-signing cleary - Mod Edit
-unable to identify, draft and develop more then one forward prospect the GM and coach trust to be among our top 12 forwards(article today in SI speaks about this) That's on the coach and management, the Wings have plenty of potential future high-end talent forwards. Hard to fault the Wings with the lack of high picks. Wait and see on this I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Cleary will not affect for the faith of Nyquist or Tatar. Why would anyone think that stupid?

This overreacting has just gone out of hands. Cleary competes against Bertuzzi, Sammy, Eaves, Tootoo, etc.

Eaves and Tootoo are the most probable guys who can start packing.

I will be honest. Most of the time I defend the moves made by the organization.

I think people here overreact a lot.

But this signing is questionable because:

Most teams carry 14 Forwards, 7 D-men, 2 goalies (23 man roster)

We have 16 Forwards signed. We just signed a 17th:

1st Liners: Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Alfie
2nd Liners: Weiss, Franzen
3rd Liners: Nyquist, Tatar, Helm, Anderson, Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, Cleary
4th Liners: Miller, Eaves, Emmerton, Tootoo, Abdelkader.

Look at that mess.
My God.

I do not think Cleary is a bad player. He plays well sometimes.
His contract is not bad.

The bad part is he is the 17th guy.

Who are the 3 we cut??.... how the F do we even cut them? ... They have to be traded, for NOTHING probably.

Helm LTIR - This is not a permanent solution
Samuelsson LTIR - This is also not a permanent solution what happens when these guys get healthy.

Lets be honest about who is NOT being traded due to "long term" deals
-Helm, Abdelkader, Miller

Two year deal
-Tootoo.

NTC
-Bertuzzi, Samuelsson

Easiest to trade is Eaves, Tootoo (2 yrs - maybe), Emmerton.

Thus. Without arguing WHY and WHO should go for reasons of skill.

I will argue Eaves, Tootoo and Emmerton go for the sake of the fact they are EASIEST to trade.

Imagine the DRW with Tatar moved to russia or Nyquist traded... No other forward is ready for 1.5 years IMO.

They need to be on the team, or else we are going into the dregs of the NHL in 3-4 years.

We are all afraid Tatar or Nyquist will be cut... And honestly we should be!

Edit: If Eaves, Tootoo, Emmerton are traded away... are we even under the cap??!

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
see here is the problem either you didnt read what i said or you use decisions and players that we have now that came well before the last 5 years as a basis for your support

last 5 years i said quite clearly

playoff success as a result of players from before that dont count

over the last 5 years what decisions/actions has he made that make us better going forward and which has he made that have stunk/were/are bad

compare that list and yah he is among the worst over the last 5 years

bad
-deliberately choosing to keep franzen over hossa
-letting hudler walk for nothing
-letting filppula walk for nothing
-signing Sammy and giving him a NTC
-signing coliacovo then having to buy him out
-signing bertuzzi
-signing cleary
-unable to identify, draft and develop more then one forward prospect the GM and coach trust to be among our top 12 forwards(article today in SI speaks about this)

good
-signing weiss

:laugh:

If anyone didn't read the others post it was you.

If you want to just limit it to the past 5 years, then Snow has finished last all but 1 year of his career as GM. Everything else in my post still stands.

You want some more good from the past 5 years?

Signing Nyquist to an incredibly team friendly contract.
Signing Andersson to a team friendly contract
Signing Smith to a team friendly contract
Getting a extra 2nd round pick for nothing.
Using Filppula and Brunner's money to sign Weiss and Alfredsson
Assembling a group of prospects that won the Calder Cup.
Extending Datsyuk for 3 more years
Using Hudler's money to sign Brunner
trading down from 24th overall for 2 extra picks (Ouellet and Jurco)
Hiring Jeff Blashill
Moving Blashill from Assistant coach to Head coach of the Griffins
Getting Backman for Leino
Claiming Miller off waivers
Signing Hossa in the first place.
Making the playoffs in every season
getting to within one game of the Cup

bad
- Didn't do what Zetterberg4Captain would have done. :sarcasm:

I'm not saying he's been among the best the last 5 years but he's been better than most and nowhere near the worst.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
comes back home

goto tsn nhl, read the news

put a pop corn in microwave

enjoying the show :laugh:

Hammerheart

Now how about a hug?
Aug 1, 2011
I look forward to moving key pieces of this team's future in order to make room for a 34 year old oft-injured winger. Great signing!

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
FlashyG

I'm very disappointed in Holland's moves with the big club as of late overall. Some of the terrible moves outweigh the positives. Some of the points you made though didn't have much to do with Holland. Hossa called Kenny. Datsyuk had nothing to do with Kenny etc. But you're spot on in pointing out some of the sly moves and picks he has made at the draft. Definitely more positive than negative.

RedWingsNow*

I will argue Eaves, Tootoo and Emmerton go for the sake of the fact they are EASIEST to trade.

Imagine the DRW with Tatar moved to russia or Nyquist traded... No other forward is ready for 1.5 years IMO.

They need to be on the team, or else we are going into the dregs of the NHL in 3-4 years.

We are all afraid Tatar or Nyquist will be cut... And honestly we should be!

Edit: If Eaves, Tootoo, Emmerton are traded away... are we even under the cap??!

Problem is, why would any team give away even a 7th round pick for these guys. Check out the UFA Market. Why get a Tootoo for $1.9M when you can sign Brenden Morrow around that price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad