News Article: "Wings must go all in for Draisaitl"

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
This is like the flyers Lindros trade if you ask me.
It... ALMOST worked out... I mean Lindros did make a Stanley cup... Just ran into a buzzsaw team ;). An was a very good player as a Flyer.

I can accept a massive loss if I can get a cup centered around with the player I traded for.
Prospects are prospects. All these guys could end up being Jurco, Pulkinen, Ouellette,Smith,Kindl Sheahan etc etc...
You're giving up Raymond/Edvinsson as a starter or Seider/Berggren. If a trades made it's not gonna look comfortable for Red Wings/Yzerman/Fans. No way a package of futures alone is accepted.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Prospects are prospects. All these guys could end up being Jurco, Pulkinen, Ouellette,Smith,Kindl Sheahan etc etc...

I don't disagree, I have a little more faith in this front office over the one that drafted those you listed but most often don't meet expectations regardless.

If the Wings had some success and this was to push them over the top or to even go from a playoff team to one with hopes of a deep run, makes sense. As of now you'd trade Danielson, Kasper, one of Ray or Ed and picks? Who knows but all of a sudden we just left a rebuild with no youth to keep the success going for multiple years.. that's the way I view it personally.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Unless whoever is making decisions for the Oil is drunk there is no way to trade for Drai that doesn't create further gaping holes in the roster. We don't have expiring fool's gold UFAs like Florida did.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
OctopusThrower is as reliable as a news source as Reimer is on shots aimed at his face.
giphy.gif

DanielMarois

May 25, 2013
How about something like Drai for Larkin + extras. EDM still has a very good 1-2 punch of McDavid/Larkin and with the money saved maybe can build a more complete team and Detroit gets a big upgrade at C.

Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
I can see him coming here as a UFA.

Don’t believe a trade with such player is even an option whether or not he plans on resigning.

Edmonton is in win now mode, you don’t trade away one of the best players in the league for futures and a team like Detroit who’s finally seeing some progression from their prospects, doesn’t want to trade such prospects along with some of its younger super stars for an older player….

Drai trade starts with Lark/Seider/Raymond + Ed + 1sts/Kasper/Danielson

In my opinion not worth it.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Don’t believe a trade with such player is even an option whether or not he plans on resigning.

Edmonton is in win now mode, you don’t trade away one of the best players in the league for futures and a team like Detroit who’s finally seeing some progression from their prospects, doesn’t want to trade such prospects along with some of its younger super stars for an older player….

On the other hand Edmonton risks losing him for nothing if they don't get a deal done before the start of the season. To say a guy who is on his way to UFA status in exactly one year "starts with Lark/Seider/Raymond + Ed + 1sts/Kasper/Danielson" is absurd. We may not be willing to pay the true cost but this is sky is falling fear mongering.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I'm not sure I'd deal Draisaitl, but if he's being dealt he's not getting a package that is of equal value to what he brings. If they want a better player, they aren't getting all of the ++ people want to add on. It'll be something more like the Huberdeau/Tkachuk deal.

But if they take a package built along the lines I suggest, they get a guy who replaces a big chunk of Draisaitl's offense, they get a prospect who can jump in and provide cost controlled depth...and they can turn those two picks around in trades to bring in other help.

I don't think they can deal him. If they do that guarantee's McDavid is gone. Plus with only 1 year remaining he wouldn't get anywhere near the value he could with him possibly walking.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
So people can be mad that it didn't happen because Steve didn't figure out a way to fleece a superstar without gutting the roster.
Eh, I mean sure it's unlikely to happen but for the first time in like 20 years we have a core you can build around and the assets to acquire an elite player. Again, not likely to happen but I don't see the harm in considering the impact he would have.

Now I will be upset if he pulls a Holland and if/when he can't sign Draisaitl (Stamkos) he fills up all the cap space with mid level dreck. But even that's not possible because if you miss out on Draisaitl you still have Mo, Ray, Ed, etc.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

Based on? Mom's spaghetti and coney dogs aint that good.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's a trade which will never happen.

Just like:
- Jonathan Hubeardeau will never be traded!
- Matthew Tkachuk will never be traded!
- Jack Eichel will never be traded!
- Taylor Hall will never be traded!
- Mark Stone will never be traded!
- Erik Karlsson will never be traded!
etc.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
When McDavid is gonna get his 5M raise, and Draisaitl too, it will close their Cup window.

Period.

They already lacked team depth, and after those deals they will lack even more. Bouchard is gonna get his share etc.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
On the other hand Edmonton risks losing him for nothing if they don't get a deal done before the start of the season. To say a guy who is on his way to UFA status in exactly one year "starts with Lark/Seider/Raymond + Ed + 1sts/Kasper/Danielson" is absurd. We may not be willing to pay the true cost but this is sky is falling fear mongering.
They are competing for a cup. Think of him as a rental that they aren’t losing any assets for.

A cup contending team will risk it all and take the potential economic loss 10/10 times.

If you’re trading for Draisaitl it’s a sign and trade. You’re not acquiring him for only 1 year (from a Detroit perspective) so a kings ransom is what it will cost (maybe not exactly what I wrote…. But not too far from it either).

Based on? Mom's spaghetti and coney dogs aint that good.
Based on his fellow German compatriot is on the team and he’d be playing for an original six team with the best/most respected GM in the league.

He would get his pay check, get a chance to prove that he doesn’t need McJesus and have a chance at a cup.

And if he’s not signing as a UFA then why are we even bothering trading for him for 1 year when this team is 2-3 years away from being a serious playoff threat lol.

Reactions: norrisnick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad