Windsor Spitfires 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

SpitfireHabs1

Dec 3, 2021
Southern Ontario
In the CHL top 10 but i hope these Boys dont give into the noise and early season accolades and keep steaming ahead full speed. All teams are mostly set on returning players and most teams have had a chance to gel and gain chemistry so the next few weekends will be able to see if this Spitfires squad is real.

Like Walters so far. Makes changes in game when needed and uses his bench.

Hope to see a good hockey game tonight. Two way effort and physical game, Joey has been riding a wave so far this season and confidence is a hell of a thing in sports. Hope he continues!!

Let's Get er Done,
Go spits Go.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Good win for the Spits. Game seemed very slow to develop. Little excitement. Officiating was terrible, but evenly terrible.

Take the two points and play better tomorrow.

Greentree, Protas and Abraham scored all the goals. Hopefully, the rest of the team will stand up again.

Costanzo had another very strong game.

Random thought on Belchez. He was dominate the 1st week, but has done little since then. He may need to watch 1 game from the pressbox. Sometimes watching a game puts everything in perspective. The OHL was way too easy the 1st 3 games.

Reactions: ohloutsider

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Good win for the Spits. Game seemed very slow to develop. Little excitement. Officiating was terrible, but evenly terrible.

Take the two points and play better tomorrow.

Greentree, Protas and Abraham scored all the goals. Hopefully, the rest of the team will stand up again.

Costanzo had another very strong game.

Random thought on Belchez. He was dominate the 1st week, but has done little since then. He may need to watch 1 game from the pressbox. Sometimes watching a game puts everything in perspective. The OHL was way too easy the 1st 3 games.
Linesman were very confused all game long..

Reactions: Living Vicariously

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Interesting take - care to expand on the explanation?
As a Philadelphia Flyers fan the team i least look forward to playing every year is the Islanders.

Why? They are absolutely boring. Very little risk to their game. Cycle heavy. Not a ton of speed. Clog up the neutral zone. The games are just boring to watch. Every time. (Example yesterday they played a 1-0 overtime game, haha)

Guelph I've found for the last 3or4 years have played that kind of style. Not a ton of flash & dash. Not a ton of skill. Not a ton of speed. Just cycle heavy. Clog up the middle. Don't allow much & don't create much. I remember last yr hearing their commentary team mention it was a struggle for them to hit 25 shots in games.

It's early but they've allowed the least goals in the conference & are still sitting in last.

Not hating on them for it. Do what u gotta do. Burnett is smart GM. They just aren't a team I look forward to playing because I find myself getting bored more often than not.

• Haha
Reactions: Living Vicariously

spits

Jul 24, 2013
I was legit thinking the exact same thing, the Storm are the Islanders of the OHL! Games always seem boring against that squad. They have a great fan base, at least 4500 every game.

Anyways a solid road win. I actually thought Belchetz had one of his better games. He had a partial breakaway and 5 shots on net.

Spits have a star player in Protas. 8 goals in 6 games. He has the ability to slow the game down when the puck is on his stick, and let plays develop. Great playmaker and a great shot.

Greentree leads the OHL with 20 points in 8 games but he can still find that extra gear which we haven't seen yet. As someone alluded to above, is a scary thought. Spellacy is great on the PK.

+25 goal differential which is by far the best in the league. Kudos to everyone including the coaches. One more road game to complete one of the hardest stretches on the schedule this season.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Agree with pretty much everything that u wrote, even more impressive was learning near the end of the game that the Spits didn't arrive at the rink till 35 minutes before game time because of highway issues,wondered why Spits off to a sluggish start now we know after that I am even more impressed the team won,Protas,Greentree, Abraham line pretty I damn good 10 points between tonight,8 the last game very tough line to deal with.
Costanzo continues to impress,now 3rd in the league withva 2.14 average and a 928 save percentage and he is 7-0 so far,as mentioned before he won 10 all of last year and had a 5.08 goals against average.
Question I have who starts tomorrow, he only allowed 1 goal,he is on fire,had it been 3 or 4 against I would all in going with Froggett tomorrow at Owen Sound, but I can't wrap myself around that,go with hot hand imo.
Pretty impressive Spits now 7-1-1 after 9 games and 6 of them have been on the road.
Spits are 4-1-1 on the road and Joey is 4-0.
Changes I would make at Owen Spund tomorrow, while I know Davis is close to returning I would not play him tomorrow wait till next weekend,I would put Winegard and Lemieux back in and exchange them with Hicks and Manzo, would give Windsor 6D and 12F,and on a back to back with travel would rather go with 12F,instead of 11 like tonight's game.
Nevertheless should be interesting tomorrow
Go Spits Go
Keep up the good work.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I'm not too concerned with Belchetz. Has to adapt to the grind and long road trips. He had prime ice early when players were still at camp snd showed he could play on top lines. He'll be fine. How about that Costanzo?? What a fantastic surprise. He doesn't give up when the team supports him. Something that is new this year. As much as I whined about hiring Walters the crow sandwich 🥪 tastes great lol

Reactions: hockeylegend11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad