Windsor Spitfires 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Nice game. The grit continues. Love it. Another Gordie Howe Hattie with AJ. Stoked to see JC with a shutout. Gaymes 1 g 1 assist from the 4th line!. New HC is starting to make his mark on this team. Playing the Spits will be a task. Green Light on for not putting up with any BS. So fun to watch . GO SPITS GO!@

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
In a conference filled with mediocre teams your top-9 makes you a top team. Once London gets everyone back & Erie is healthy it should be a great battle. Saginaw can hang, too. Past that not sure anyone is close & you are gonna put it on some of these teams.
It's going to be a long year. Not calling for a parade yet but at least they won't be a push over team this year and will set themselves up nicely for a run next year with hopefully some playoff success this year.

Reactions: Section 103

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
How ‘bout Joey Costanzo?

Also @windsor7 your favourite player was +3 tonight and leads the ohl with +12 through 4 games. You still wanna get rid of him? He has the offence down, and now he is seemingly playing a lot better defence. You going to ever give him his flowers?

As I’ve said before- he would work on he defensive side of the puck a lot over the summer, same with guys like Zayne Parekh, Carter Yakemchuk(in WHL), Henry Mews as they all have the offence down

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
It's going to be a long year. Not calling for a parade yet but at least they won't be a push over team this year and will set themselves up nicely for a run next year with hopefully some playoff success this year.
Oh they'll be a super fun team to watch. D & G likely stop them from being a legit contender, but man that offence is crazy. Next yr you guys will be insane if Greentree, Protas are back. Like insane. Not looking forward to it lol...

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
How ‘bout Joey Costanzo?

Also @windsor7 your favourite player was +3 tonight and leads the ohl with +12 through 4 games. You still wanna get rid of him? He has the offence down, and now he is seemingly playing a lot better defence. You going to ever give him his flowers?

As I’ve said before- he would work on he defensive side of the puck a lot over the summer, same with guys like Zayne Parekh, Carter Yakemchuk(in WHL), Henry Mews as they all have the offence down
Offensively he is fine...

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Offensively he is fine...
Above average for d men the last 2 years. This year 7Pts so far in 4 games. Unlikely he keeps that pace but I’d predict atleast a ppg. So he is certainly more than “fine” lol

Also have to remember this isn’t a big towering defensive d man. Offense is his game.

Reactions: Section 103

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Above average for d men the last 2 years. This year 7Pts so far in 4 games. Unlikely he keeps that pace but I’d predict atleast a ppg. So he is certainly more than “fine” lol

Also have to remember this isn’t a big towering defensive d man. Offence is his game.
Everyone has a opinion..

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Everyone has a opinion..
Not an opinion- it’s a fact. He is not a 6’7 250 chunk of meat that bangs and crashes anything that moves. He’s an offensive d man which means chipping in helping out on the offensive end of the ice. 5’11 180

If you’ve been watching hockey for more than about a year you’d know this. And I’m sure you do but you just enjoy nitpicking anything and anyone.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Not an opinion- it’s a fact. He is not a 6’7 250 chunk of meat that bangs and crashes anything that moves. He’s an offensive d man which means chipping in helping out on the offensive end of the ice.

If you’ve been watching hockey for more than about a year you’d know this. And I’m sure you do but you just enjoy nitpicking anything and anyone.
It's a fact that it's an opinion..

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
It's a fact that it's an opinion..
You think he’s a defensive d man? If that’s the case then he’s the best defensive d man in the league while being undersized. Leading the d in points and plus minus id think you would appreciate that a little more.

thespitslurker

Aug 29, 2024
Welp that turned out pretty good. Thoughts:

- Spellacy and Protas came back and both played very well. I liked Spellacys goal a lot that was a good pass from Greentree
- Mathurin also had a cool falling down goal and mostly did alright, sometimes he was a little out of position tho and made some interesting decisions. Walton is in a very similar boat.
- If Costanzo plays with this much confidence in this game for the rest of the games he starts then I am 100% down with him being the starter or 1A. Hopefully he continues to play like he played today but we'll see if Froggett will play the same.
- Funny enough the line I was most impressed by today was the Garden-Martin-Gaymes line. They got in Soo's heads a bit and played pretty well together for a lot of the night.
- At the end of last season I was contemplating trading Nesbitt some time this year... I stand insanely corrected to say the least. He will have a super good draft year this year and meshes well with most of the Top 6.
- Belchetz was kinda quiet tonight tbh... just kidding he had good presence and was very impressive offensively same with guys like Greentree and Morneau
- When Lemieux comes back we'll see how the does and who gets bumped down but maybe if Outwater is hurt for a bit we can adjust.

Next up will be a big match in Brantford who will be one of the top teams in the East. Let's see how we do against them. Go Spits Go!

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
A few thoughts while I have a minute...

- I didn't expect a 5-0 final, but I'll take it.
- Eight different players had a point from (I think) all four lines. No matter who you throw out there, the line has the potential to score. That's depth this team desperately needed.
- The team looked a bit out of sync offensively at times. It's hard to get a read on that after you win 12-2, but something felt off.
- Costanzo was a rock; 27 saves, some very impressive ones, and gets his second career SO.
- Cristoforo and Mathurin lead the team with +3 and +4, respectively. I was watching Cristoforo in the second and he's playing a much more confident, simple game. Get the guy into the corner, get the stick on the puck, create havoc, turnover, onto the next. This isn't the same guy from last season and credit should be given where due.
- On a similar note, a guy like Walton is continuing that aggression in his own end, which is nice to see.
- Spellacy comes back from Chicago and promptly has a Gordie. The goal was sweet but I think he got away with no penalty prior to the fight. I need to see it again on replay. Solomon stepped up, though, and props for that.
- The more I watch Garden and Gaymes, the more I like their styles. They're not big but there's no fear and it's a good quality to have.
- Belchetz had a few really good chances that just missed. No points tonight but I'd imagine those games will be rare. We can't forget, he's just 16.
- Outwater left the game early, didn't return. I haven't heard anything definitive but....
- Protas continues to be as-advertised. He's a big train; takes a while to get going but will beat you any way he sees fit.
- I thought Schenkel played very well for Soo, especially late in the game. Without him, that might have been 7 or 8-0.
- Take the two points and head to Brantford on Saturday.

How did A J do in his scrap ? Thxs

Square-off at the blue-line, each got in a few rights before Spellacy took him down. More energetic than damage done.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad