Windsor Spitfires 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
You have some young gems it appears! Belchetz still has some work to do with his feet but man can he rip a puck. Hicks is gonna be a damn good Dman. Little Oliver Bonk vibes. Costanzo really struggled... Badly. That Garden kid is gonna be a big time PT producer if he can develop well. Serious skills on him.

Hopefully Woodall is ok. He was not doing to good on the ice. Seems as though these teams both wanna play with an edge & it's making for some intense hockey even in pre season. As long as the refs don't go nuts & ruin the game (awful both ways) like they did tonight it should make for some awesome games this yr between us. 🍻🍻

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Hicks does look very promising. The bigger issue is when your 16 yr drafted D with now 3 games OHL experience was your best D tonight, Bowler has alot a work to do.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Not sure how you could not keep Hicks up? He was the best D out there. Also hoping Woodall injuy is not serious.
For me some cuts are pretty clear but we will see.
Well if you keep him then you're going with Costanzo but people have soured on him. I find all of this ironic the team was terrible last year. They add Mathurin to the D and it's the same guys. Adding Hicks is fine but him playing as a 5th or 6th D isn't great for his development. They need to raise the floor for this team and at this stage Hicks most likely doesn't accomplish that. It would be ironic to make Costanzo the fall guy and double down on Eichler/Winegard/Cristoforo(who fans dislike) and figure out Lavigne/Manzo to play on D.

Reactions: Cherrydon

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I don't think there's a single answer to the D. They seem to play better in front of Froggett and Newlove, decent in front of Windbiel, and 2023-24 in front of Costanzo. It's not the first time that's happened, either. Mathurin was a marked help when he played before going to Chicago so I'll be interested in how things change once he returns. Right now, I'd imagine Hjelholt and Winegard are on the bubble with Hicks and either Lavigne or Manzo making the case to stick around. Eichler isn't going anywhere, as long as he stays disciplined, and Cristoforo isn't likely being moved unless it's a change of scenery. The "dislike" from fans is mostly on here. Once Mathurin returns, we'll likely know more, but there are too many possibilities right now.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
With 4 regular D not dressed,Mathurin, Christoforo, Walton, and Eichler,then losing Woodall, didn't play the last 44 minutes, that's 5 and coming back from behind,toss in 4 of the 5 best forwards out I will happily take a W on the road and scoring 6 to boot.
I thought Hicks and Manzo played very well tonight best exhibition game so far for Manzo,those 2 will certainly challenge Winegard for the 6 spot,and Hjelholt didn't look out of place and he doesn't turn 18 till December.
Froggett was outstanding overall,in 4 periods of play he has yet to give up a 5 on 5 goal,2PP at Flint and 1 tonight.
Very good in the shootout allowing 2 for 10 is very good.

Last edited:

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
The fans and scouts on more than here have soured on Cristoforo. A- rated draft player to start last year, falling out of the draft completely. Not all 1st round picks work out to be a gems, but honestly a new start might be the best for his development. Bowler has taken a few reclamation projects, most recently Outwater. Maybe time he doles one out the other way.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
125 combined regular season games for your d in their career for the guys that played tonight.

110 of those are between Woodall and winegard. winegard had a whopping 6 points last year and is 19 this season. And by the sounds of it- your best d in this game (Woodall) left early leaving behind a whopping 68 games total between the remaining d.

Take it easy on the kids they’re young and inexperienced. The positives are atleast you can score. Once you get the defence figured out you’ll be great. Missing mathurin and Christoforo. Although people don’t like christoforo on here- he’s better than the other guys playing tonight.

That’s your 2 best d gone from this game on an already weak d core and the third one got hurt.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
With 4 regular D not dressed,Mathurin, Christoforo, Walton, and Eichler,then losing Woodall, didn't play the last 44 minutes, that's 5 and coming back from behind,toss in 4 of the 5 best forwards out I will happily take a W on the road and scoring 6 to boot.
I thought Hicks and Manzo played very well tonight best exhibition game so far for Manzo,those 2 will certainly challenge Winegard for the 6 spot,and Hjelholt didn't look out of place and he doesn't turn 18 till December.
Froggett was outstanding overall,in 4 periods of play he has yet to give up a 5 on 5 goal,2PP at Flint and 1 tonight.
Very good in the shootout allowing 2 for 10 is very good.
Hicks and Manzo played well but was not impressed with Hjelholt. Winegard should not make the team but I'm not the gm. Considering this was basically a jrb game players like Winegard, Greenwell, Martin, Outwater should shine. They did not. The rookies looked better. I personally would keep Hicks over others but not sure they can with the limit on rookies and the talent they are showing. Again glad I'm not the gm. Be safe.

Reactions: Cherrydon

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Here are the update goalie stats so far
thru exhibition schedule.
Michael Newlove-1GP- 1GA-2.03 Ave,. 909 save percentage 1-0 record
Jake Windbiel-2GP-2GA-.2.38 Ave.,.926
save percentage 0-0 record
Carter Froggett-2GP--3GA-3.00 Ave.,.875
save percentage- 2-0 record
Joey Costanzo-1GP-5GA-7.50 Ave.-.808
save percentage-0-0 record.

OHL 17

Nov 8, 2018
Windsor, On
Here are the update goalie stats so far
thru exhibition schedule.
Michael Newlove-1GP- 1GA-2.03 Ave,. 909 save percentage 1-0 record
Jake Windbiel-2GP-2GA-.2.38 Ave.,.926
save percentage 0-0 record
Carter Froggett-2GP--3GA-3.00 Ave.,.875
save percentage- 2-0 record
Joey Costanzo-1GP-5GA-7.50 Ave.-.808
save percentage-0-0 record.
Joey this must hurt.......better days ahead ?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Interesting to compare last year Spits were 1-4 in exhibition play GF=16,GA-26,this season 3-0,2 wins on the road,GF-20,GA-11,keep up the overall impressive work,15 different players this season have played that didn't last year
Belchetz, Garden, Brocklehurst, Lemieux, Hicks, Windbiel, all 16 year olds,only 3 last year,Nesbitt, Manzo, and Lavigne, add Protas,Newlove,Mathurin, Walton, Eichler who didn't play an exhibition game last year,Gaymes also didn't play an exhibition game last,Outwater who was acquired mid season,Davis and Christoforo who missed exhibitions ,Davis with appendix taken out.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Very concerned for Costanzo's play but sounds like he is not 100% yet so did not play the 3rd period.
You really want these kids to do well but Spits need one of these goalies to step up and make a save when you really need a save. Did not see that last night until the 3rd period. The numbers posted above are very concerning. Spits can't continue to depend on winning games 7-6 every night. Yes the D is also a big problem so ----

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Very concerned for Costanzo's play but sounds like he is not 100% yet so did not play the 3rd period.
You really want these kids to do well but Spits need one of these goalies to step up and make a save when you really need a save. Did not see that last night until the 3rd period. The numbers posted above are very concerning. Spits can't continue to depend on winning games 7-6 every night. Yes the D is also a big problem so ----
Actually the 1st 2 games they played the scores were 6-3 and 7-2,and only 1 goal was scored 5 on 5 against so defense and goaltending were not a problem and to boot 3 regular D didn't play each game.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Actually the 1st 2 games they played the scores were 6-3 and 7-2,and only 1 goal was scored 5 on 5 against so defense and goaltending were not a problem and to boot 3 regular D didn't play each game.
Costanzo didn't play in those games that I'm aware of?

Unless that's temporary until Costanzo is moved, I don't get this at all. He's been your best goaltender through camp and has more than paid his due.
Because I believe there has been a "promise" made to one of the rookie goalies to get him to sign. This is just me speculating but it seems to be playing out that way.

Reactions: rve24 and windsor7

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Yea theres gotta be something going on. Thats a disappointing move. Get the kid a fresh start somewhere, goaltending is a very mental position, if his heads not right or his confidence is broken he needs a fresh start! I get we have bodies missing but so do the other teams, that cant be ignored!

thespitslurker

Aug 29, 2024
Yeah Windbiel being here kinda throws a wrench in all this because yeah he might have been promised ice time in like a Backup or 1B role when meanwhile goalies like Froggett and Newlove have been playing as good as or better than Windbiel. This'll screw over those two unless Costanzo or one of the others is ill or gets injured so I guess get ready for rollercoaster games this season if BB is so hellbent on this tandem

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Froggett assigned to The London Nationals last night.
Have not seen any info on Froggett and London JrB,both Spitfires and London's Jr B rosters have not changed deleting or adding a tender,perhaps a temporary paper transaction only speculation on my part because of lack of definitive info.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
2024-09-17

London Nationals

Carter Froggett
Carter Froggett (G)
DEL Released to Windsor Spitfires (OHL)

I'm honestly not sure what to think right now. IF it plays out that Froggett is being sent back to London, I'm not a fan of the move and wouldn't be shocked if he was moved. He deserves/d better than this. If anything, move Costanzo for a D or a pick and let Froggett/Windbiel battle it out in a tandem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad