Windsor Spitfires 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I think he's embraced the challenge but it can still frustrate you, especially if you don't think you're doing your best. Maybe a change of scenery will help him because I believe the talent is there. Give him a good defence and he could get back to GAA around 3 and SV% over 90.

If it were up to me, I'd keep Froggett/Windbiel, have them tandem this season, and bring in another veteran, stay-at-home D.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I've thought that for a long time now. This isn't a go for it year and the defense serms to be improved....Go with Frogget and Windbeil.
I would be careful saying the defense is improved when Mathurin is the only new player. Going with 2 goalies that really haven't played in a real OHL game isn't a recipe for success. Yes we hope the D is improved just like fans of other teams think their returning players are better.

northwest

Apr 21, 2024
Based on early returns with acknowledgement of a couple of changes here is my starting lineup and 4 extras to start the season
Goal-Costanzo, Froggett,
Defense- Eichler,Woodall, Christoforo, Mathurin, Winegard, Walton
Forwards-/Lines- Abraham, Belchetz, Spellacy, Protas-Greentree-Davis,Nesbitt-
Morneau-Outwater, Garden-Martin-Gaymes

Extras-Windbiel-Goal,Manzo-D,Lemieiux, Greenwell-F
Now I could see Manzo flipping with Carter Hicks but think Hicks will serve some time for his match penalty his last game,we will see.
Players sent to Jr B
Goal-Newlove
Def- Hjelholt and Lavigne
Forwards- Brocklehurst, Stewart and Morgan
Now could the next 3 exhibition games change things yes,though I am more settled on 19-20 guys,it's the 3 or 4 that could change,time will certainly tell,but it is fun to speculate,possible tough decisions.
I can see Hicks having a few games to sit out. Windbiel wasn't great and I would dress Newlove over him. Belchetz should be exciting to watch this season. He seems to fit in well.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I agree with everything that u wrote about though I would like to see both Newlove and Windbiel play another game each,1/2 a game each more to the point,though am thinking Newlove will play in GeorgeTown this season to start with,already playing well.
Costanzo have to play a game each of the last 3 exhibition games,all next week starting Tuesday.
Agree about Belchetz, though I think Garden and possibly Lemieux will be interesting to watch, all 16 year olds to boot,and throughout the season sure we will see Brocklehurst, Hicks and Windbiel get some playing time over the season,that is 6-16 year olds I have mentioned appears to be quite the haul imo,and Newlove is 17 and Protas is 18.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Definitely won’t be a 16 and 17 year old tandem

Constanzo should stay. Had an off year last year but the defence was atrocious and that doesn’t help goalies.

Next year he will be an OA and I it’ll be a “go for it” year with potentially Greentree back as a 19 year old- and belchetz potentially being a top 5-10 pick in the NHL

I assume they trade Abraham for picks they can use next year. They’ll already have a high octane offence losing 1 guy won’t hurt too much and Abraham should bring in a half decent package too

OA’s next year-

Constanzo? (Or maybe they elect to use his spot on an OA D man if Windbiel and Newlove are looking great and Constanzo doesn’t improve lots over the next season and a half)
Outwater??
??? Maybe another OA D?

I assume they will upgrade outwater if he doesn’t have a big breakout year too

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I would agree it definitely won't be a 16 and 17 year old goalie tandem,now I could definitely see Froggett an 06 goalie with Newlove and Windbiel moving forward.
Having 3 goalies 16,17,18 years of age,2 of them 6'4" Froggett and Windbiel, and Newlove at over 6'2".
If Costanzo can't rebound from a real bad year,and yes team defense was a factor for his bad season,going from 3.03 to 5.00 wasn't the best season to see.
I have been a Costanzo supporter since he arrived,though admittedly I am concerned about him moving forward, and I just can't ignore the other 3 goalies with their abilities and potential.
I do think Windsor has the best 06 and 08 born combination of players in the West moving forward, but the least in 05 and 07 born overall players,only a couple in each year.
I like the look of this year's group,not a run year but alot of potential and next season a run year.
I am looking forward to seeing how the rest of exhibition goes,been a great start curious to see how things unfold

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Goalie stability and another older D man are must needs. Id hope BB has his eyes on a guy or 2. This team looks improved but real games are what matters, age will be a factor with a tough OHL sched. New HC adds to the drama.

Last edited:

spitsfan24

Mar 18, 2017
Personally, I'm not a fan of adding another OA dman. As of now:

Mathurin - Cristoforo
Woodall - Eichler
Walton - Manzo/Hicks
Winegard

In a year that we're not going all-in, I think it's beneficial to have that last D spot filled by a guy who is younger, and part of the team for years to come.

I'm not sure what the plan is yet for the rookies, but I think it's important to prioritize their development this year. From what I've seen throughout camp and preseason, that last spot deserves to go to either Manzo or Hicks.

I think I'd prefer Manzo, just because if it's Hicks, does Manzo benefit more from another year in Jr. B, or acting as the team's #7 D? Either option isn't the greatest in my opinion.

Winegard is a solid enough #7 to occasionally get into a game, and not have to worry about him: A) stinking up the joint or B) having his development stalled.

Anyway, I got a little sidetracked there. The point is, I think adding an OA dman might do more long-term harm than short-term gain.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Sorry meant to say older D man. Not an oa. I fixed it.
I agree that an older D would be the best route but might be far too expensive to achieve that. In order to upgrade and to find a willing partner is likely a tough ask. An OA D may be the best option to be cost effective. But a one and done doesn't solve the problem for next year, lol. Sure glad I'm not the GM!

thespitslurker

Aug 29, 2024
Yeah I wish they got an 06 or 05 D-Man to replace someone like Cristo, Winegard or Hjelholt when those bottom 6 spots should be filled by guys like Manzo, Lavigne or Hicks. It is what it is though we'll see how Bowler fumbles this lmao

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Gm made this mess, its his to figure out! Maybe a trade for a kid who needs a scenery change for our kid who needs a change.
If you're looking at the big picture you can't disagree. Speaking from the perspective of next year being the run year. That's ambitious and cool but for that to happen this year has to be a good year off the backs of the 06s. The 05s aren't great, the 07s are small on numbers and we are left with the 08s and 04s. A lot to ask of of 08s and there are only 3 04s.

Even next year the 08s would have to be elite next year along with the 06s. Look no further than last year the 06s who were 17 had to do a lot of the lifting and it ended up bad. I'm not blaming the 06s just to point out they got zero help.

If next year is a run you need to totally revamp the D. Winegard isn't OA quality, Mathurin graduates, Eichler won't be back. People have questions about goaltending. All these questions would need to be solved via trade. Currently there are 3 trade acquisitions on the roster Outwater/Costanzo/Mathurin. If you think Bowler has drafted well enough to make next year that's great. The results to date would prove otherwise.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Yeah I wish they got an 06 or 05 D-Man to replace someone like Cristo, Winegard or Hjelholt when those bottom 6 spots should be filled by guys like Manzo, Lavigne or Hicks. It is what it is though we'll see how Bowler fumbles this lmao
To get an 06 is going to cost a lot. Look at even an 05 like Bertucci couple 2s 3 3rds etc.. He's a top shutdown 19 year old. Even in a best case scenario Hicks and Manzo most likely aren't elite D next year and that's fine. They can still contribute and be plus guys but you have to find different ways.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Looking at next year only Walton maybe will be grow into a top pairing D defensively. Woodall and especially Cristoforo add in Manzo are offensive minded. 1 maybe 2 import picks next year will be needed in addition to a trade. Young forwards, we are in great shape. D is as everyone states is the glaring issue. I am not sure you want to expose young goaltending to the current situation but it is going to happen. Maybe Abraham at the deadline can be used to acquire a young D stud.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Personally, I'm not a fan of adding another OA dman. As of now:

Mathurin - Cristoforo
Woodall - Eichler
Walton - Manzo/Hicks
Winegard

In a year that we're not going all-in, I think it's beneficial to have that last D spot filled by a guy who is younger, and part of the team for years to come.

I'm not sure what the plan is yet for the rookies, but I think it's important to prioritize their development this year. From what I've seen throughout camp and preseason, that last spot deserves to go to either Manzo or Hicks.

I think I'd prefer Manzo, just because if it's Hicks, does Manzo benefit more from another year in Jr. B, or acting as the team's #7 D? Either option isn't the greatest in my opinion.

Winegard is a solid enough #7 to occasionally get into a game, and not have to worry about him: A) stinking up the joint or B) having his development stalled.

Anyway, I got a little sidetracked there. The point is, I think adding an OA dman might do more long-term harm than short-term gain.
Agreed. A defensive upgrade for a couple high picks could be the difference between home ice and 5th place.

I’ll take 5th place, save the picks and be ready to fill our 05’ overagers next year. Costanzo’s our goalie, sorry guys. He’s set up to be an OA on our contending team, in a year where we have no other OAs.

That being said… the crease is up for grabs. If Frogget goes out there and makes it hard on the coaches not to play him, we’ve got some decisions come the deadline.

This team has go for it potential next year, we need the right goalie back there. I think Joey has it in him, but if not, we could be paying heavy next year. Save the picks we can and don’t burn them on anything 04, or even 05, unless they’re a lock to return as an OA

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Just reflecting that DiPietro played 29 games in his rookie season. Although that was with a better defensive style team at the time, he did excellent and also consider the pressure he had being local kid as well. Windbiel might surprise us even in year 1. He has already played in a National Championship and won. Hoping Joey bounces back to his potential but pressure will be on with 3 youngsters nipping at his heels for crease time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad