Windsor Spitfires 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I would agree work to be done on PK overall once the full roster plays upfront and back.
Note the last time Windsor allowed a 5 on 5 goal or even strength is the 12.08 mark in the 2nd period vs Sarnia the other nite at home,that's almost 88 minutes and the scored then was against a 16 year old in his 1st game put in 2 minutes or so earlier on a goalie change not that I am blaming Windbiel more the circumstances then the tender.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Going to be interesting in the last 3 exhibition games with 8 of the 31 man roster not available for duty with 7 players headed for NHL rookie tournaments and camps 4F,3D plus rookie dman Carter Hicks looking at a suspension for being tossed for kicking.Assuming that's the case it leaves Windsor with 4G, 6D and 13F for those games upcoming. If Costanzo remains ill for the next game Tuesday at Sarnia make it 3G available and 22 players available for duty.
I could see Morneau moved back to D if needed pretty versatile guy lets hope not.

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Here are the goaltending numbers to date for Windsor 's 3 goalies and not including vet Joey Costanzo who has yet to suit up
Carter Froggett- 1GP- 2.00 Ave-2GA,.931 save per centage 1-0,60 minutes played
Micheal Newlove- 1GP-30 minutes played
2.03 Ave-1GA-.903 save per centage,1-0
Jack Windbiel-'1GP-30 minutes played,2GA
.875 save percentage
Interesting stat through 2 games both Froggett and Newlove have yet to allow a 5 on5 goal or even strength goal while Newbiel has only given up 1 5 on 5 goal.
Goalies to date have all performed well to date,keep it up boys,things will get more challenging with 7 players including 3D away at NHL camps and a pending suspension to Carter Hicks-D for his kicking actions in the game at Flint.

Reactions: OHL 17

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Though only 2 exhibition games played,interesting stat lines.
1-Windsor has scored 13 goals in 2 games,and none of the them have come from Greentree, Abraham and Spellacy,the 1,2 and 4 highest goal scorers returning from last year,36,31,20.
As well no defenseman have scored a goal yet.
Might bode well for the future and before some people mention the D,Windsor has allowed only 1 even strength 5 on 5 goal total in the 2 games and that came against 1 of the 3 rookie goalies playing with a combined 2-OHL regular game experience both by Carter Froggett.
Course scoring 4 shorties in 2 games is a another story lol.

Reactions: OHL 17

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Glad you said all teams in your question, re Windsor same results regardless of lineup regarding scoring, shorthanded goals,5 on 5 goals against and for and for the most part goaltending.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
What do all these stats tell anyone with rotating lineups for all teams? I don’t think anything can be drawn from them.

It's still a grain-of-salt but last season Windsor went 1-4 in the preseason, outscored 26-16 by the same two teams they just beat 6-3 and 7-2. I'm not about to plan a Memorial Cup parade but I see a group of 06s and 08s that are very engaged, goaltending that's eager to prove stuff, and a coaching staff that seems to have them ready to go. Again, very, very early, but it's better than this point 12-months ago.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I agree it's very early in the process,but I seeing things that I did not see last year at camp,no player last struck me at camp like Protas and Belchetz,then u look how guys like Davis,Greentree, Woodall, Spellacy are developing, the 08 players like Lemieux, Garden,Hicks.
Can't recall when I have seen 20 skaters out of 27,register at least 1 point in the 1st 2 exhibition games and almost half have played 1 of the 2 games, and almost 1/2 have 2 or more points,now if this after 5 or 6 games I get some of questions
There seems to be a different vibe will all involved from coaches to players and hope things will continue this way as we eventually move on to the season.
Hopefully the team will continue the way they are going, I believe the future is bright,think Windsor will surprise and I believe next year is a run year.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
It's still a grain-of-salt but last season Windsor went 1-4 in the preseason, outscored 26-16 by the same two teams they just beat 6-3 and 7-2. I'm not about to plan a Memorial Cup parade but I see a group of 06s and 08s that are very engaged, goaltending that's eager to prove stuff, and a coaching staff that seems to have them ready to go. Again, very, very early, but it's better than this point 12-months ago.
Yes it is preseason and numbers need to be veiwed with a whole lot of grains of salt but, it shows that our crop of rookies are better than other teams crop of rookies. Considering where they were drafting this should be the case and it seems it is.
Spits look like they will have a better year this year. This is what fans need to be excited about. Carry on.

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015
From watching camp and the first exhibition game I think some of the 18-20 yr olds could find themselves on the 4th line or worse with the play of the 16yr olds. Guys like Lemieux and Garden have not only showed well, but are playing on the top lines against ohl'ers and do not look out of place. They've played well enough to make arguments for top 12 roles which pressures guys like Martin, Morneau and Outwater to perform right out of the gate this year. Also leaves little room for guys like Stewart and Morgan. Are we going to carry a 19yr old as our 13th forward, looks like it (Greenwell). If you're expecting us to contend and are criticizing based off that you are being unreasonable. But just with the addition of Protas and Belch we will be much improved over last year.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
From watching camp and the first exhibition game I think some of the 18-20 yr olds could find themselves on the 4th line or worse with the play of the 16yr olds. Guys like Lemieux and Garden have not only showed well, but are playing on the top lines against ohl'ers and do not look out of place. They've played well enough to make arguments for top 12 roles which pressures guys like Martin, Morneau and Outwater to perform right out of the gate this year. Also leaves little room for guys like Stewart and Morgan. Are we going to carry a 19yr old as our 13th forward, looks like it (Greenwell). If you're expecting us to contend and are criticizing based off that you are being unreasonable. But just with the addition of Protas and Belch we will be much improved over last year.
Actually some of players must be paying attention as Morneau had 2G,2A on Sunday,Outwater had a goal and an assist in that game too,and Martin had a goal.
I agree about Stewart and Morgan,they are just fill players,of the 17 forwards on the exhibition roster they would 16 and 17.
As for Greenwell,he despite an excellent camp has his work cut out for him.
Only 4 forwards out of the 17 don't have a point in the 1st 2 exhibition games,and they are the 3 mentioned Stewart, Morgan and Greenwell,who all have played 1 game,which was the 1st game vs Sarnia and the other 1 is Nathan Gaymes who is pointless in his 1st 2.
That being said his aggressiveness and toughness and unlike the other 3 his age,18 compared to 19 makes him safe.
I would probably keep 14 and 7 in the F and D,rather then 8D.
I do think Greenwell is on the bubble but if they go 14 and 7,Stewart, Morgan and Brocklehurst will be sent to B.
Brocklehurst not 16 till Dec 30 needs playing time,and with league stating you can roster 4 16 year olds but only dress 3,Belchetz, Garden and Lemieux take up the 3,with dman Carter Hicks waiting in the wings and also 16 year old goalie Jack Windbiel too.
I am going to give Greenwell some rope and with the reasons expressed above I hope at least for the start of season he makes to the 14 and 7 group,would not surprise me if Protas and Greentree get some exhibition games in with NHL teams,coinciding with the start of the OHL season leaves room for guys like Brocklehurst and Greenwell to show their stuff.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Based on early returns with acknowledgement of a couple of changes here is my starting lineup and 4 extras to start the season
Goal-Costanzo, Froggett,
Defense- Eichler,Woodall, Christoforo, Mathurin, Winegard, Walton
Forwards-/Lines- Abraham, Belchetz, Spellacy, Protas-Greentree-Davis,Nesbitt-
Morneau-Outwater, Garden-Martin-Gaymes

Extras-Windbiel-Goal,Manzo-D,Lemieiux, Greenwell-F
Now I could see Manzo flipping with Carter Hicks but think Hicks will serve some time for his match penalty his last game,we will see.
Players sent to Jr B
Goal-Newlove
Def- Hjelholt and Lavigne
Forwards- Brocklehurst, Stewart and Morgan
Now could the next 3 exhibition games change things yes,though I am more settled on 19-20 guys,it's the 3 or 4 that could change,time will certainly tell,but it is fun to speculate,possible tough decisions.

Reactions: Section 103

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Having not seen Costanzo in goal yet, I'm not going to try to figure out the goaltending. I do think Froggett and Windbiel are around, especially Froggett, but I'm not sure what you do with Windbiel. Can he go back to the US for a season? (I recall something discussed earlier)

As for the F - I think Martin sticks around but you can't use up spots on Stewart, Morgan, or Greenwell right now.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I thought being a US born player signing he has to stick around. Maybe US is still am option. Definitely not Junior B or C eligible. Different from Brocklehurst who was born in Canada. Also believe there is a minimum games played to the equation. 9-10 something like that but again this is the grey area of the OHL not for privy million clauses you can't find in writing lol.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Having not seen Costanzo in goal yet, I'm not going to try to figure out the goaltending. I do think Froggett and Windbiel are around, especially Froggett, but I'm not sure what you do with Windbiel. Can he go back to the US for a season? (I recall something discussed earlier)

As for the F - I think Martin sticks around but you can't use up spots on Stewart, Morgan, or Greenwell right now.
I agree with your take on Stewart and Morgan,Martin too definitely, however if u are going to roster 14F,7D,2G,I would have no problem keeping Greenwell as the 14th foward,at least at this time of thinking, don't want a 17 year old as a 14th and definitely not a 16 year old,need to develop and sitting here wouldn't be beneficial.
Throw in the fact there are 6-16 year olds signed and at this time all are playing well,u can only keep 4 ,but only dress 3 a game.
Only reasons I favor Greenwell are ,his play at camp,and looking to see how Outwater works out,if Greenwell is just ok ,the next 3 games then a decision must be made.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Based on early returns with acknowledgement of a couple of changes here is my starting lineup and 4 extras to start the season
Goal-Costanzo, Froggett,
Defense- Eichler,Woodall, Christoforo, Mathurin, Winegard, Walton
Forwards-/Lines- Abraham, Belchetz, Spellacy, Protas-Greentree-Davis,Nesbitt-
Morneau-Outwater, Garden-Martin-Gaymes

Extras-Windbiel-Goal,Manzo-D,Lemieiux, Greenwell-F
Now I could see Manzo flipping with Carter Hicks but think Hicks will serve some time for his match penalty his last game,we will see.
Players sent to Jr B
Goal-Newlove
Def- Hjelholt and Lavigne
Forwards- Brocklehurst, Stewart and Morgan
Now could the next 3 exhibition games change things yes,though I am more settled on 19-20 guys,it's the 3 or 4 that could change,time will certainly tell,but it is fun to speculate,possible tough decisions.
Elite Prospects has Newlove with Georgetown of the OJHL. He has played in 1 game for them.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Newlove is the only goalie listed on their 24-25 Georgetown roster, so I expect that is his landing spot. Windbiel liklely promised a spot to sign. Chicago mission already shows 2 goalies on their roster for U18 and Jake is not one of them.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I've thought that for a long time now. This isn't a go for it year and the defense serms to be improved....Go with Frogget and Windbeil.
Costanzo although little defensive help was visibly frustrated with himself and the team often. We have had other good goalies in the past who embraced the opportunity to do their best to stop the bleeding on a bad team. I have not seen that with him yet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad