Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Trading for a one-dimensional mediocre player like Peer was a mistake. I said it then. I’ll say it now, because I’m actually capable of criticizing my team’s organization. I’m an adult and not a cheerleader for anything and everything the org does. The thing is they basically went even with picks at the trade deadline and got beat by a #1 seed. Not really that bad a look. Did you see headlines across the globe about it? No. Trading picks for Wright, Harrison etc and getting swept by an #8 seed? Now that is a historical level bad look and every hockey fan on the planet knows about it. I know you like to try to compare Windsor to London and view them as the Spitfires peer but they’re not. That’s why your grasping at straws as you argue with a Flint fan. Right now under Bill Bowler let’s place the Spitfires with their actual peer group which would consist of teams that haven’t won a playoff game in two years. That would be a list of only Windsor, Niagara and Owen Sound. There’s a great arena (one of my favorites) and fanbase in Windsor and the franchise will be fine long-term but being a cheerleader as Bowler completely fails in back to back seasons isn’t gonna get them back there any faster. As far as your friend there claiming people are envious of the Spitfires rebuild that hasn’t even truly begun yet? No. If anybody is envious of a rebuild it’s Peterborough’s or Hamilton’s or Brampton’s. Two of those teams actually hung banners before their rebuild and have a ton of proven young talent and picks.
What rebuild is Bowler doing that has GMs envious around the league? Is this just based off a draft in April???

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I don't believe he's signed with the Spitfires.

One dimensional mediocre player? 37 goals and 80 points with speed to burn is "mediocre"? Sorry, that comes across as trying to be bitter for the debate.
Yes. I never cared much for Peer as a player. I don’t see how you could argue he wasn’t one dimensional. He was fast but that was about it. It’s why he’ll be playing at a University next year instead of going Pro. I’m not saying he was bad, he was just the type of player that was a good complimentary piece to a line, not someone who would exactly drive the play and was soft in all zones. Not exactly a playoff type performer. He got top line minutes and would almost disappear for huge stretches. Over the last two seasons he played 7 playoff games and was pointless in 5. He had a 14 game stretch with 2 goals down the stretch run last year all while getting top line minutes. If he wasn’t scoring what else was he bringing to the table? I get it, Windsor fans liked him. As a FA pickup playing a complimentary role in the top 6? Oliver Peer was great. As “the guy” on the top line? Incredibly underwhelming.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
You called him "mediocre." The kid scored 80 points, had incredible speed, and was solid on the PK for us. That's not mediocre. If you don't like him, fine, but he was a solid player and was one guy I wish they hadn't traded.
Fair enough. Maybe mediocre was a bit harsh. You had to trade him for that return. No way they could turn that down. I didn’t think he was great on the PK though. At least not in Flint. He was on and could occasionally create SH opportunities with his speed but wasn’t great along the boards and would get out of position looking for that break too much. I saw a kid who was a PPG player getting top line minutes as an OA. If he had been on the second line in NB or Sudbury or London last year? I’d probably view him a little different. He could have been in a situation more suited to his skillset and utilized better for sure.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Fair enough. Maybe mediocre was a bit harsh. You had to trade him for that return. No way they could turn that down. I didn’t think he was great on the PK though. At least not in Flint. He was on and could occasionally create SH opportunities with his speed but wasn’t great along the boards and would get out of position looking for that break too much. I saw a kid who was a PPG player getting top line minutes as an OA. If he had been on the second line in NB or Sudbury or London last year? I’d probably view him a little different. He could have been in a situation more suited to his skillset and utilized better for sure.

Maybe Flint used him wrong?! He was as popular and productive as you'll see while with Windsor.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
You called him "mediocre." The kid scored 80 points, had incredible speed, and was solid on the PK for us. That's not mediocre. If you don't like him, fine, but he was a solid player and was one guy I wish they hadn't traded.
Medicare at best.
Soft.
Didn't play defense.
Disappeared or wasn't noticeable on ice often.

Reactions: oldPeng

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
What rebuild is Bowler doing that has GMs envious around the league? Is this just based off a draft in April???
Apparently. I personally prefer to wait until at least the end of year one to judge a rebuild but I guess you can claim the Memorial Cup Rebuild World Championship in July now and post like an angry 15yo about it online.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Maybe Flint used him wrong?! He was as popular and productive as you'll see while with Windsor.
I’d say yes and it’s no fault of Oliver’s but when you give up that level of picks for an OA the expectation from management and fans is going to be that he can drive play on the top line and be more than a one-trick pony. I’ll take half a Coulson Pitre over Oliver Peer any and every day of the week. Also I’ve seen quite a few players more productive in Windsor.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I’d say yes and it’s no fault of Oliver’s but when you give up that level of picks for an OA the expectation from management and fans is going to be that he can drive play on the top line and be more than a one-trick pony. I’ll take half a Coulson Pitre over Oliver Peer any and every day of the week. Also I’ve seen quite a few players more productive in Windsor.

Then blame your management for giving up that many picks, not Oliver for not delivering unrealistic expectations. He's speedy producer who can PK well when needed and lead in the room. That's what he did for nearly 2.5 seasons with Windsor. Easily one of the most hilarious, character kids I've come across, as well.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Honestly all this bickering about last year is tiresome at this stage . I was also on the hate wagon but the calendar has closed the 23-24 season, drafts etc for all leagues. Yes, it ended being a shit show as realistically expected by most. Let me know when we are discussing the upcoming season. Lots of high end talent with promise to cheer. When was the last time 6 draftees were signed prior to July?? Never. I was not happy about Walters either, but it is reality now. Suppose much better than hiring someone with zero experience as a HC Most complained including me how soft we were to play against and now there is hope for change. Everyone remembers going into Owen Sound on a road game and what it was a P.I.T.A. now we have the ring leader. BB still needs to bulk the D corp with size and D first, but as a forward group, we are golden.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Then blame your management for giving up that many picks, not Oliver for not delivering unrealistic expectations. He's speedy producer who can PK well when needed and lead in the room. That's what he did for nearly 2.5 seasons with Windsor. Easily one of the most hilarious, character kids I've come across, as well.
Lots of other stuff that didn't put him as elite player..

It's been one of the busiest summers they've had in recent memory. I'm eager to get back to the rink in August (or whenever camp formally starts). This is going to be a different looking team but one that's hungry to show they can compete.
Uv said similar before in recent years..

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
It's been one of the busiest summers they've had in recent memory. I'm eager to get back to the rink in August (or whenever camp formally starts). This is going to be a different looking team but one that's hungry to show they can compete.
Agree about a busy summer so far with still almost 2 months to go before camp, Spits have added 19 new players from the 3 drafts held post season,3G,7D,and 9F,along with 1 Head Coach and 1 Goalie Coach to their existing staff to fill things out.
With 6 players signed from the Entry draft,and 1 more expected from the Euro draft Ilya Protas (F).
All I can say so far is with the signings so far re players and coaches I see no reluctance for anyone to sign on with franchise.
4 forwards,1D,1G signed so far with Protas expected to sign soon I see maybe one more signed from the 1st -2 drafts,goalie Michael Newlove the 1st pick in the U18 Draft.
Bowler at the head coach signing indicated he was not done,so I expect an OA dman added and would not surprise me if a 19 year old dman is added too.
One player I don't expect back is overage forward Colton Smith,joining Struthurs,Toms and Zhugin as those not returning despite eligibility remains.
Let the fun again.
Meant to add Spits last year added 15 players to their overall roster at this time,11 +3+1, but signed 3 from the entry draft,1st,5th and 6th round picks,Nesbitt, Manzo and Lavigne and 1 Euro Josef Eichler (D)

Last edited:
Reactions: Cherrydon and OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Let's really start the season off right .....windsor7 & OHLTG can one or both of you put each other on ignore!!! Beyond getting old, I can't be the only one tired of this bullshit back and forth!

I don't bother with it. I enjoying the off-season and eager to see September get here.

One player I don't expect back is overage forward Colton Smith,joining Struthurs,Toms and Zhugin as those not returning despite eligibility remains.

I'm actually expecting him at training camp, barring a trade before that. He's likely the odd man out but...

Travis Bickle 77

Feb 11, 2020
I don't bother with it. I enjoying the off-season and eager to see September get here.

I'm actually expecting him at training camp, barring a trade before that. He's likely the odd man out but...
But you do at times bother with it, seriously put the troll on ignore. It's gone on too long...like years!! You would be making the world a better place!!

Reactions: scokan and OHL4Life

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Let's really start the season off right .....windsor7 & OHLTG can one or both of you put each other on ignore!!! Beyond getting old, I can't be the only one tired of this bullshit back and forth!
+1, they both have levels of guilt and both act like the other is totally at fault

you don’t ignore it you engage and troll back

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Agree about a busy summer so far with still almost 2 months to go before camp, Spits have added 19 new players from the 3 drafts held post season,3G,7D,and 9F,along with 1 Head Coach and 1 Goalie Coach to their existing staff to fill things out.
With 6 players signed from the Entry draft,and 1 more expected from the Euro draft Ilya Protas (F).
All I can say so far is with the signings so far re players and coaches I see no reluctance for anyone to sign on with franchise.
4 forwards,1D,1G signed so far with Protas expected to sign soon I see maybe one more signed from the 1st -2 drafts,goalie Michael Newlove the 1st pick in the U18 Draft.
Bowler at the head coach signing indicated he was not done,so I expect an OA dman added and would not surprise me if a 19 year old dman is added too.
Let the fun again.
Smith never should of been here to begin with. Hunter won that trade..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad