Windsor Spitfires 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Getting back on some relatively normal track - I don't see him approving the Spitfires right now given his cautious approach to date. It's a tricky situation and he's shown to be far more patient than "we're good to go." That said, again, I don't envy him and the decision-making process.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Will this management actually spend in future or will some other management have to?????
The boughner group squeezed every ounce of profit out of this franchise
I doubt the savages will bring in a high priced coach or gm
They can't raise ticket prices. 9 bucks is alot a COORD LITE and there is way too much sports to compete with

Spits will be a niche market now .and since all the best players played in Europe or THE AHL its gonna be hard for motivation going forward for a high drafted player after they see what's out there

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Getting back on some relatively normal track - I don't see him approving the Spitfires right now given his cautious approach to date. It's a tricky situation and he's shown to be far more patient than "we're good to go." That said, again, I don't envy him and the decision-making process.

Well hes on a 2 week leave of absence now...

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Funny how his 2 week absence coincides with st pattys day and the proposed back to hockey decision lol. I think he errs on the side of caution always!! Not the guy you want if hoping for some easing of restrictions. I see the minister loved the ball back into the O’s lap lmao. We’re close just a few more obstacles, then localities decide she said.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Nothing new from me ... it seems every few days we get a hint that things might break for the OHL but so far nothing definite. I really feel sorry for the boys but until you can have fans in the seats it just can’t happen.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Just took a look around - Cuylle, Foudy, Henault, and Douglas all played as recently as today.

Angle last played a week ago and Afanasyev scored a goal for Krasnaya Armiya (AHL) in their playoffs on Friday night. Slick little move on a 2-on-1, I might add.

Last edited:

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Hub cities getting closer to reality as per McLeod today. Problems that need ironing out is referees committed to the bubble, housing the players, school and what to do with the U.S. teams and the border isdue. I'd imagine TV coverage would be nixed as those are mostly volunteers.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Hub cities getting closer to reality as per McLeod today. Problems that need ironing out is referees committed to the bubble, housing the players, school and what to do with the U.S. teams and the border isdue. I'd imagine TV coverage would be nixed as those are mostly volunteers.

That a lot of issues.
Tick toc.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
The hurdles are costly and many too jump over. Don't rule out the possibility of a U.S. hub city. Way less restrictions. These are mostly kids. I can't see it more than 20 games. With the NHL draft pushed back, it may not even start until schools out. I think there maybe some kind of T.V. for the scouts. They are not going to live in a bubble with kids. Isn't that the whole purpose of having a return to play. To give the draft eligible kids a chance to show the scouts what they offer. Maybe it's all chin music so the government can say we gave them safe parameters to return to play and the league refused to budge.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Think you hit the nail cherry! That’s a lot of stuff to still resolve!

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Does anyone know the conditions of the Afanasyev trade with Ottawa. In 2021 the Spits owe OTTAWA a 2nd & 3rd round pick and in 22 a 3rd . Since he was assigned to the KHL by his NHL team he may not come back. Do the Spits still owe those picks?

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I read on hockey writers those picks were conditional he signs with the Spits. He did sign so I believe those picks have sailed. No mention of anything other than sign no mention to duration.

Reactions: punch1943

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Does anyone know the conditions of the Afanasyev trade with Ottawa. In 2021 the Spits owe OTTAWA a 2nd & 3rd round pick and in 22 a 3rd . Since he was assigned to the KHL by his NHL team he may not come back. Do the Spits still owe those picks?

The deal hasnt really amounted for much....

member 71782

2018-12-04WSRMikey DiPietro
KGN 2ND 2024
WSR 4TH 2020
TOOTTEgor Afanasyev
OTT 2ND 2019
LDN 2ND 2020
OTT 2ND 2022
OTT 2ND 2023
OTT 2ND 2021 (COND)
OTT 3RD 2021 (COND)
OTT 3RD 2022 (COND)
https://windsorspitfires.com/video/dipietro-traded-to-ottawa
https://ottawa67s.com/article/dipietro-ottawa-67s-swing-deal-spitfires-goalie
https://windsorstar.com/sports/hockey/spitfires-trade-dipietro-to-67s
Conditions:
> (per The Windsor Star website) Should Afansyev report, all three conditional picks in Tuesday’s trade will return to the 67’s.
> Afanasyev reported and signed with Windsor.OTT keeps the OTT 2ND 2021, OTT 3RD 2021 and OTT 3RD 2022).
> OTT received the LDN 2ND 2020 from NIA with no record of a trade.. LDN 2ND 2020 from NIA to OTT must have fulfilled outstanding conditions from a previous trade.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: punch1943

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Well the Ontario government $138 k per OHL team is not going to pay the bills. Won't even cover TL lol.They will say they did something, the league will say it is not enough. unless there is some serious coin coming I'm thinking return to play is Sept as bubble costs would be extraordinary and no fans=no income. Unless a BIG league sports T.v. contract is signed. I don't blame the government funding, Everything is hurting and a bail out to the OHL isn't exactly dollars for all the other businesses that are suffering and health care costs. Be nice for some of the millionaire NHL players to recognize where they got their careers started for the big show.

Reactions: windsor7

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
The league and the Spitfires have both said the money is a big help.
For sure anything is better than nothing. That is a 138 k they didn't have yesterday. I must note that McLeod hasn't ruled out that more funding is possible.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
For sure anything is better than nothing. That is a 138 k they didn't have yesterday. I must note that McLeod hasn't ruled out that more funding is possible.

Just have to wait longer.
Kick the can down the road..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad