Windsor Spitfires 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
--Spits now 0-2 with 6 games remaining with the big dogs before the PO.
--Mikey kept them in it, they just dont have the firepower.
--Played with the Knights most game.
--Liked Days' play the most he was trying everything.
--Too bad he couldnt out muscle Kukkonen on that breakaway.
--Glad to see Day give it to Crawley from behind to take a penalty in the 1st,revenge for roughing up Bracco a min. earlier with no call.
--Knott/Mete with some stick work also, league loves players doing cheapshots now far more dangerous than dropping'em or an enforcer taking care of business.
--Spits could have tied it up before London broke it open but again chose to pass when an open shot is possible.
--I know Brown has issues but plz get your head out of your azz.

:rant::popcorn:

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015
talk to sth who have prime seats, end zone seats are not really coveted seats to the league. the chl took over seats up to row J I believe and moved them sections over or even on the other side of the arena.
and just because it didnt happen to you or the minimal amount of people you have talked to doesnt mean its not happening

Did you honestly think the CHL was just going to take the "leftover" seats. Pretty naïve of STH's going in to not think they'd be displaced. The seat re-arrangement happens every year to every rink the Mem cup is in. How is this even remotely on the Spits. Has nothing to do with the organization, its the CHL's doing.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
Did you honestly think the CHL was just going to take the "leftover" seats. Pretty naïve of STH's going in to not think they'd be displaced. The seat re-arrangement happens every year to every rink the Mem cup is in. How is this even remotely on the Spits. Has nothing to do with the organization, its the CHL's doing.

Your right its in the hosting agreement.And also the team did say in the seating ad's that some STH might not get same seats.

They should tell you though before you buy them.Two choices ... dont buy them or sell them on Kijji alot of out of town fan's will purchase.Make a few bucks.:yo:

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

--Spits now 0-2 with 6 games remaining with the big dogs before the PO.
--Mikey kept them in it, they just dont have the firepower.
--Played with the Knights most game.
--Liked Days' play the most he was trying everything.
--Too bad he couldnt out muscle Kukkonen on that breakaway.
--Glad to see Day give it to Crawley from behind to take a penalty in the 1st,revenge for roughing up Bracco a min. earlier with no call.
--Knott/Mete with some stick work also, league loves players doing cheapshots now far more dangerous than dropping'em or an enforcer taking care of business.
--Spits could have tied it up before London broke it open but again chose to pass when an open shot is possible.
--I know Brown has issues but plz get your head out of your azz.

Good post except I disagree with the lack of scoring,the games in London yes,been outscored 11-3 including empty netter and OT winner, record 0-2-1, however in Windsor ,Spits are 2-0 have outscored Knights 10-5, including 1 OT winner,and to boot Sergachev did not play either game,and Sean Day only the last one. Should be noted London's best dman this season Mete played in both games in Windsor.

stips

Apr 3, 2016
You certainly do not have any confidence that the Spits are able to win a big game.(have not one one in months) They will win when they get all their injured players back! Make Naittenen captain while DeGigcento is off on vacation. He is doing a great job on the first power play unit and first line. Reward what you like in his fine play.

Mismanagement....mismanagement.....mismanagement, it starts at the top and filters to the players.

Hard to see this team winning in the first round, especially with Rocky accepting, and making excuses for poor play.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

Time is really running out even if the Soo went a modest 6-4 and loss all 4 of those in regulation the Spits would need to go 8-2 with wins most likely against London/Soo/OS/Erie. In other words most likely the Memorial Cup hosts will not have home ice.

Should be noted,that the Spits have not lost in regulation at home to any of the teams,Erie, London,Owen Sound,SSM,since game 3 of the season,and that was against the Hounds in a 2-1 loss,plus empty netter in a game, where the Hounds scored an offside goal, League verified it,and a goal disallowed that should not have,again league verified too,after looking at Spits replay not Cogeco.Toss in the fact Spits lineup a lot different then that 3rd game vs Hounds,Spits have 10 players on roster that did not play that night,the Hounds have 5,I will take my chances.
That being important to win every home game here on out,and their home record shows they can do it.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
After last night's loss at London and getting ready for Sarnia this Sunday afternoon at home, lineup change that I am leaning to more so now then ever,is to bench Julius Nattinen,put Robertson back in the lineup on D, move Corcoran to the 4th line with Angle and Purboo.
McCool who has played well since returning Thursday and having scored playing with Laishram and Boka,would remain with them,while the top 6 would be Brown, Addison, Bracco, Vilardi, Knott and Luchuk.
Scoring from the likes of Brown and Bracco,as well as Day and Chatfield from the backend,is needed as all 4 are pointless in the last 2 games and in Chatfield's case 4 games.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Your right its in the hosting agreement.And also the team did say in the seating ad's that some STH might not get same seats.

They should tell you though before you buy them.Two choices ... dont buy them or sell them on Kijji alot of out of town fan's will purchase.Make a few bucks.:yo:

They did give us the option before we bought to take them or pass - I know a number of STH in section 105 that had to move - they went over to 117 - most are happy with their seats now after they reviewed them - this is a CHL thing don't blame the spits for that. Our ticket people are not even involved with that part - ticket e-mails come from a totally different group.
Took Punch's advise and waited a day before posting about last nights game - London is a better team - better coaching for sure - London picks off more passes than any other team - very opportunistic team. Why is it that every time we play a team their goalie gets hot - or are we helping with that? I will borrow an old line for this one - 4 out of 5 goalies prefer crest shots ( older posters will get that one).
So you put together a line for the game before - you're number 1 line - 0 points - not functional at all - so the smart move is to put them back together again the next night for a key game - 0 points - this coming from a coach that normally changes a line structure every shift - and you wonder why I keep hinting there is leadership ( coaching) issues - Rocky hockey is sputtering a bit - go to Rocky hockey 2.0 - this part never happens - the game plan is never adjusted to fit the game - watch how the winning teams adjust all night - we have the talent - need someone to guide this ship.
Have to say win or lose I love what Chatfield brings to each game - high energy and never tires, to me a real leader.
3 best rushes last night came from the D - Chatfield, Sergachev and Day. That tells you a lot.
Team now finds itself in a position of needing other teams to help us - not good when others control your future.

scokan

Nov 23, 2009
southern ontario

No I didnt believe they would just take the leftovers but thanks:shakehead
the point I was trying to make was some people being moved vs not being moved and some being happy about it or not. Most STH didnt get a say in where there new seats would be they just got a envelope saying these are your new seats. Prime seats are expected to be taken
Im sure all the new STH who bought tickets only to secure the Mcup seats werent shown a grid of "if you buy seats here you will be moved" vs "if you buy seats here you wont be moved" they only said there was a chance you could be moved

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
Could someone tell me why the CHL needs all those seats???.For the CHL board members have them all in a couple of the suites.Instead of whole sections.

I get it that STH would want their chosen seats for the tourney.I would too, thats why I purchased them.If its family and friends of the players, they get the leftovers sorry.I know it doesnt work that way in the mem cup but STH in any city shouldnt be put out jmo.

As for Rocky Hockey, it looks good on a white board at a coaches conference but you need more elite players with high hockey IQ to make it work imo.Spits dont have alot of those at the moment.

Bottom line is ......add Fish and Keller and have Brown rolling offensively and we have the firepower needed.We have to just hold our nose and move forward.

SpitsSTH

Feb 19, 2017
I'm curious (legitimately) - how many STH had to move seats for the Memorial Cup? I've talked to a bunch of people so far and none of them have had to, myself included.

I've heard from a couple STH's in the lower rows of sec 104 who said they had to move, sounds like league took all seats up to at least row H in sec 104, not sure about other sections. My seats are higher in the same section and I haven't heard anything about moving.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Could someone tell me why the CHL needs all those seats???.For the CHL board members have them all in a couple of the suites.Instead of whole sections.

I get it that STH would want their chosen seats for the tourney.I would too, thats why I purchased them.If its family and friends of the players, they get the leftovers sorry.I know it doesnt work that way in the mem cup but STH in any city shouldnt be put out jmo.

As for Rocky Hockey, it looks good on a white board at a coaches conference but you need more elite players with high hockey IQ to make it work imo.Spits dont have alot of those at the moment.

Bottom line is ......add Fish and Keller and have Brown rolling offensively and we have the firepower needed.We have to just hold our nose and move forward.

Need to reserve seats for family members of 3 other CHL teams ( teams yet to be determined) that can't really book ahead. Also there will be the usual gaggle of dignitaries that will need prime seats - was told the CHL has blocked out 1200 seats - typical for all Memorial Cups.

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015

You can't honestly think that way do you? I almost laughed out loud. The MasterCard Memorial Cup is like every other major sporting championship where its awarded on a bid structure. Its all business, its not about the fans or the team. We are lucky the even allow us to have as many seats as they do. You think when a team hosts a Superbowl STH's keep their seats? Its a major championship where people come from all over. Scouts, businesses, corporate sponsors, guests of CHL.etc.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Remaining schedule for Spits & SSM

Windsor Remaining Schedule
Feb. 26 SAR 0 WSR 0 2:05 PM
Mar. 2 SSM 0 WSR 0 7:05 PM
Mar. 4 LDN 0 WSR 0 4:00 PM
Mar. 5 SBY 0 WSR 0 2:05 PM
Mar. 9 ER 0 WSR 0 7:05 PM
Mar.10 WSR 0 SAR 0 7:05 PM
Mar.12 FLNT 0 WSR 0 2:05 PM
Mar.15 WSR 0 SAR 0 7:05 PM
Mar.16 OS 0 WSR 07:05 PM
Mar.18 WSR 0 SAG 07:05 PM

SSM Remaining Schedule
Feb.26 NB 0 SSM 0 2:07 PM
Mar. 3 SSM 0 GUE 0 7:30 PM
Mar. 5 SSM 0 KIT 0 2:00 PM
Mar. 8 SAR 0 SSM 0 7:07 PM
Mar.10 KIT 0 SSM 0 7:07 PM
Mar.12 SSM 0 SBY 0 2:00 PM
Mar.15 SSM 0 SAG 0 7:05 PM
Mar.17 SAG 0 SSM 0 7:07 PM
Mar.19 LDN 0 SSM 0 2:07 PM

Both teams have 10 games left....
Spits with 7 home games
SSM with 5 home games

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
You can't honestly think that way do you? I almost laughed out loud. The MasterCard Memorial Cup is like every other major sporting championship where its awarded on a bid structure. Its all business, its not about the fans or the team. We are lucky the even allow us to have as many seats as they do. You think when a team hosts a Superbowl STH's keep their seats? Its a major championship where people come from all over. Scouts, businesses, corporate sponsors, guests of CHL.etc.

Your right, I guess I never held the mem cup up there with the Super Bowl, its all business.

We should have known especially in Windsor the OHL/CHL was never good with public relations.....:sarcasm:

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016

Well, since you asked, the Memorial Cup tournament is a CHL event...not local.
As such, the CHL mandates that a given number of seats be allocated to the participating teams, and the fans, and are reserved for them.

Then, there are the major sponsors like MasterCard et al, who also get an allotment for distribution to whoever they deem to be worthy.

Then, there are the CHL, OHL, WHL brass, and their collective entourage. and whoever
they choose to recognize as VIP's.....like NHL GM's & scouts etc., and those observers from the next host city ( Regina ) who are there to see how Windsor does
things, and to make their event as good as...or better.

The hosting team honestly doesn't get a say in the seating. They get to assign whatever is leftover. Like it or not, them's the rules.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
Well, since you asked, the Memorial Cup tournament is a CHL event...not local.
As such, the CHL mandates that a given number of seats be allocated to the participating teams, and the fans, and are reserved for them.

Then, there are the major sponsors like MasterCard et al, who also get an allotment for distribution to whoever they deem to be worthy.

Then, there are the CHL, OHL, WHL brass, and their collective entourage. and whoever
they choose to recognize as VIP's.....like NHL GM's & scouts etc., and those observers from the next host city ( Regina ) who are there to see how Windsor does
things, and to make their event as good as...or better.

The hosting team honestly doesn't get a say in the seating. They get to assign whatever is leftover. Like it or not, them's the rules.

Thx for the info....I knew it was big buts its really huge.

I knew the host didnt have a say on alot of it.

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015
Rocky Hockey makes me laugh as well. I've seen about 3 games this year where we employed "Rocky Hockey" and 1 was an exhibition game. This team does not play an uptempo, push the pace style. Heck London is much better at that style then we are. London makes our gameplay look slow. London I thought did a great job of not allowing us any space to get started. They are on top of you immediately. Its up to the coaching staff to find a way to combat that. The Spits kind of remind me of the Lions in a way. We enter the game with a strategy and if it isn't working the seem unable or unwilling to adapt /change it. Even when lines clearly aren't working RT seems unwilling to mix it up. That said how long do we have to endure the Brown/ Bracco combo, it DOESN"T work. Bracco was just starting to show what he has and since Brown's return back to generating nothing. All the talent on this team why does LB have to carry the puck all the time. Instead of getting open he follows players around expecting them to give him the puck.

Oldbarn Newhay

Mar 31, 2016
In regards to STH be forced to move seats, they could have been proactive and submitted seat, section and row locations as part of their Memorial Cup ticket request, in case they were moved. Work out very well for me.

As far as last night, did not catch the game but check out the highlights. Score 2-0 London, early 3rd period. From behind the net Vilardi passes to Nattinen, standing 2 feet in front of the crease, Johnson sliding over to await Vilardi. Nattinen, staring at an empty net, passes to Barraco. Johnson makes the easy save.

Should have been 2-1 with 15 minutes left. Rocky knows for the spits to have any chance, Nattinen needs to get rolling. Unfortunately, Nattinen's scoring touch can be seen on a milk carton.

I will not even discuss Day and his multitude of turnovers every game.

Radar9

Hounds/London !
Aug 11, 2012
Hounds / London
Not sure where you're going with this, you're forgetting the Hounds have the best road record in the CHL...

Windsor Remaining Schedule
Feb. 26 SAR 0 WSR 0 2:05 PM
Mar. 4 LDN 0 WSR 0 4:00 PM
Mar. 5 SBY 0 WSR 0 2:05 PM
Mar. 9 ER 0 WSR 0 7:05 PM
Mar.10 WSR 0 SAR 0 7:05 PM
Mar.12 FLNT 0 WSR 0 2:05 PM
Mar.15 WSR 0 SAR 0 7:05 PM
Mar.16 OS 0 WSR 07:05 PM
Mar.18 WSR 0 SAG 07:05 PM

SSM Remaining Schedule
Feb.26 NB 0 SSM 0 2:07 PM
Mar. 3 SSM 0 GUE 0 7:30 PM
Mar. 5 SSM 0 KIT 0 2:00 PM
Mar. 8 SAR 0 SSM 0 7:07 PM
Mar.10 KIT 0 SSM 0 7:07 PM
Mar.12 SSM 0 SBY 0 2:00 PM
Mar.15 SSM 0 SAG 0 7:05 PM
Mar.17 SAG 0 SSM 0 7:07 PM
Mar.19 LDN 0 SSM 0 2:07 PM

Both teams have 10 games left....
Spits with 7 home games
SSM with 5 home games
So punch1943 what are you saying about this, what about Home game

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Rocky Hockey makes me laugh as well. I've seen about 3 games this year where we employed "Rocky Hockey" and 1 was an exhibition game. This team does not play an uptempo, push the pace style. Heck London is much better at that style then we are. London makes our gameplay look slow. London I thought did a great job of not allowing us any space to get started. They are on top of you immediately. Its up to the coaching staff to find a way to combat that. The Spits kind of remind me of the Lions in a way. We enter the game with a strategy and if it isn't working the seem unable or unwilling to adapt /change it. Even when lines clearly aren't working RT seems unwilling to mix it up. That said how long do we have to endure the Brown/ Bracco combo, it DOESN"T work. Bracco was just starting to show what he has and since Brown's return back to generating nothing. All the talent on this team why does LB have to carry the puck all the time. Instead of getting open he follows players around expecting them to give him the puck.

I think the biggest issue is there was and still might be the entitlement issue. They knew they were hosting the Memorial Cup, their at the time captain pretty much had one foot out the door waiting for the ax to fall. Nobody really filled that leadership spot to compliment Sanvido at least to the extent of being viewed as another captain. The players say all the right things to the media "still time, still early, just one game, we have a lot of talent, the breaks will go our way...." Now the platitudes have run out this team is staring down the barrel of not having home ice advantage for any round in the playoffs for the 6th straight season. So much invested by the organization for this and this is on the verge of blowing up in their faces, an early playoff exit, not many home playoff games and not much revenue coming in. This team will fall asleep or show very little sense of urgency not just for a handful of shifts but extended periods of time 25-30 minutes.

Everybody has been given an excuse by fans or media especially Logan Brown he can do no wrong of course he doesn't produce at all. When the team won championships fans hated Greg Nemisz because he was big and did hit and was "soft." Brown is a lot softer than Greg Nemisz, he got his NHL contract and is coasting until his time is either done in Windsor or until he gets to the AHL. Brown is probably the biggest disappointment in the Rychel era.

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015
I think the biggest issue is there was and still might be the entitlement issue. They knew they were hosting the Memorial Cup, their at the time captain pretty much had one foot out the door waiting for the ax to fall. Nobody really filled that leadership spot to compliment Sanvido at least to the extent of being viewed as another captain. The players say all the right things to the media "still time, still early, just one game, we have a lot of talent, the breaks will go our way...." Now the platitudes have run out this team is staring down the barrel of not having home ice advantage for any round in the playoffs for the 6th straight season. So much invested by the organization for this and this is on the verge of blowing up in their faces, an early playoff exit, not many home playoff games and not much revenue coming in. This team will fall asleep or show very little sense of urgency not just for a handful of shifts but extended periods of time 25-30 minutes.

Everybody has been given an excuse by fans or media especially Logan Brown he can do no wrong of course he doesn't produce at all. When the team won championships fans hated Greg Nemisz because he was big and did hit and was "soft." Brown is a lot softer than Greg Nemisz, he got his NHL contract and is coasting until his time is either done in Windsor or until he gets to the AHL. Brown is probably the biggest disappointment in the Rychel era.

Great points Razor. Its no different than last year as well Logan had 10g in 46ga until he scored 11g in his last 13ga. I think they made the mistake of overvaluing Brown going into this year that he would be among the leagues top performers. One problem with that is its never been a question of talent from him but effort and heart. You seen it last night (and most nights) he just doesn't have the level of compete in him for every shift or every game. As most teams have shown, hit him early and often and by mid game he will give up. Sure he skates and takes shots but he refuses to battle or go to the dirty areas. He pulls up early, shoots from far rather than fight to center of the ice or muscle a puck out of the corner. Move the top players off his line and his effort declines even more instead of "motivating" him. He's a far cry from NHL ready but seeing he was drafted by Ott I think he'll get a chance, just don't expect he'll do much with it. Kind of Bobby Ryan-ish in a way.

spits

Jul 24, 2013
Ok, I am rattled with this team. The Spits will likely have to go 9-1 to have any shot of winning the division and thats assuming the SOO go 7-3. If the Soo go 8-2 then its 100% over bc Windsor isn't going 10-0.

After watching this team closely I have determined that if they played a different style they would score more goals. The systems this team has in place stifles offensive creativity. Nattinen's production is down and he even said that there is not as much freedom with the systems here, and even Bracco's production has slowed since coming to Windsor compared to Kitchener.

There is clearly a motivation issue, there is ten games left and the team does not have a captain in a Memorial Cup year? That's an embarrassing look for management.

The first line has not recored a single point in the last 2 games that's pathetic I'm sorry. Brown is invisible half the time, he's a joke.

If this team does not get home ice in the first round which there is 90% chance they won't, then they will be out in the first round. I feel bad for us season ticket holders, bc its gonna be another 3 years of rebuilding after this year, and the stretch of not winning a playoff series will likely continue. This could possibly the longest stretch in OHL history of not winning a single round. The attendance is actually good considering they have not won a playoff round in years. Show me any OHL city's attendance after 5 year's of not winning a playoff round, it will be poor. Remember the Barn only held 4000 and we get over 4000 every night.

Rant Over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad