Post-Game Talk: WIN!! - WCQF - Game 4 - Nashville at Winnipeg - Series Tied 2-2 - 5/3/18 8:30 Ctl - NBCSN, CBC, TVAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
This is giving me flashbacks to the unexpected lineup changes in the Phoenix series. Though none of it is due to extreme Vodka inhalation so not quite as much intrigue.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Their only game-winning goal in the series was scored by Fiala... and he might be scratched. I didn't like his penalty last game, either, but they need his skill and Hartnell (82 PIMs in 62 games) and Salomaki (34 PIMs in 58 games) are much more prone to penalties than him (26 PIMs in 80 games). If you're sending a message about taking penalties by replacing a player with someone who has a worse penalty problem, what kind of message are you really sending?

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
This series may come down to which team made the better deadline deal. Each team gave up a !st . The Preds got Hartman and the Jets got Stastny. So far, big edge to Jets. Hard to argue that with recent multiple Chicago and Pittsburgh Cup wins that skill seems to win out. Supports the Wpg trade strategy...

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
This series may come down to which team made the better deadline deal. Each team gave up a !st . The Preds got Hartman and the Jets got Stastny. So far, big edge to Jets. Hard to argue that with recent multiple Chicago and Pittsburgh Cup wins that skill seems to win out. Supports the Wpg trade strategy...
Better is a relative term. The Preds got Turris in November for a fair price and didn't need to go and make a move for someone like Stastny at the deadline. If anyone thinks Hartman is a "better player" than Stastny they're an idiot. Hartman is there to fill his role as a depth player, but our "deadline type" move was made in November.

That being said Turris has been poop so far in the playoffs.

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
I'm very intrigued to see the actual lineup tonight. Lavy must know it's basically a must win game to change the style of this team with a more physical lineup.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Well since you didn't win the first one. You gotta win this one. No options left you bastards!

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Am I crazy for not being against Fiala coming out of the lineup? The second line has been mostly garbage nine games into the playoffs. Fiala has been mostly garbage nine games into the playoffs. I certainly don't blame him for the loss Tuesday but he started the chain reaction of penalties, with his terrible penalty, that saw us melt down in the third period. Other than the OT goal, which he just had to finish, what has he really done so far?

I had been hoping before the playoffs began the third pair would be Emelin-Weber or even Irwin-Weber. For my money. Weber is the best out of the four bottom pair guys we rotate on the third pairing. That said I'm not so sure in bringing him in against Winnipeg in the second round for a must win game is a good idea. I assume he is still injured as well.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Am I crazy for not being against Fiala coming out of the lineup? The second line has been mostly garbage nine games into the playoffs. Fiala has been mostly garbage nine games into the playoffs. I certainly don't blame him for the loss Tuesday but he started the chain reaction of penalties, with his terrible penalty, that saw us melt down in the third period. Other than the OT goal, which he just had to finish, what has he really done so far?

I had been hoping before the playoffs began the third pair would be Emelin-Weber or even Irwin-Weber. For my money. Weber is the best out of the four bottom pair guys we rotate on the third pairing. That said I'm not so sure in bringing him in against Winnipeg in the second round for a must win game is a good idea. I assume he is still injured as well.
Didn't he score the only GWG of the 2nd round?

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
fiala has looked like crap but that whole 2nd line has. not really fair to call out the young kid. and not really smart to take out the skill he has out in a must win game.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Didn't he score the only GWG of the 2nd round?

Yes, and it was a nice finish but let's not act like Fiala put the team on his back and scored that goal through sheer will. Fiala's finish was the third best play in that sequence after Turris's and Smith's passes. One nice goal doesn't excuse how poorly he has played the rest of the playoffs.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
I'd also argue last game he was a complete liability in his own zone. He lost coverage of his man (Byfulgien) several times.

Predigree

Dec 4, 2015
Ebensee, Austria

If Lavi realy bringing Hartnell instead of Fiala i realy doubt he is on his mind. Ok, the second line was not very good so far, but dont forget it fas that line that give us the 2OT win in game2.
I have no clue how Hartnell will be a better fit over Kevin.

Just my opinion.

Aardvarksson

gif spammer
Apr 21, 2017
Nashville
Yes, and it was a nice finish but let's not act like Fiala put the team on his back and scored that goal through sheer will. Fiala's finish was the third best play in that sequence after Turris's and Smith's passes. One nice goal doesn't excuse how poorly he has played the rest of the playoffs.
That pretty much sums up Fiala. If he's open he's got the skill to put it in the net, otherwise doesn't play strong playoff style hockey like Forsberg Arvi and Joey.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Better is a relative term. The Preds got Turris in November for a fair price and didn't need to go and make a move for someone like Stastny at the deadline. If anyone thinks Hartman is a "better player" than Stastny they're an idiot. Hartman is there to fill his role as a depth player, but our "deadline type" move was made in November.

That being said Turris has been poop so far in the playoffs.

You say that the Preds "didn't need to go and make a move" for a 2C at the deadline, then lament that the Preds' 2C has been bad so far. It sure looks like they could use Stastny now, to fill in for the struggling Turris on the 2nd line, does it not? That would likely be more helpful to the team than having Hartman, yet another bottom-6 player on a team that has no shortage of them.

It can be argued that the Jets didn't exactly need Stastny, either, at least not badly enough to give up a 1st for him, but they didn't let that stop them (or convince them to trade it for a depth player, instead). As Frobbo suggested, the strategy of giving up a 1st for a 2nd-line player that you may not need is looking pretty good compared to giving up a 1st for a 3rd-line player that you may not need, since eventually needing the former and not having a replacement is more crippling than eventually needing the latter.

Reactions: libertarian

Predigree

Dec 4, 2015
Ebensee, Austria
Guys please dont forget Turris was great for us in the regular season. ok, he is not what we expceted from him now in the Playoffs. Think about Joey, he was not that good in regular but shines now.
In the end we need them both, no Presidents Tropy without Turris and Joey will bring us to (we will see).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad