Post-Game Talk: WIN!! - Canucks @ Predators | 3/24/2016 | 7:00 PM CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Anything to say now????? No offense dude but you are ridiculous in your negativity. Please don't compare anything I say to your never-ending negativity and doom and gloom.

There is nothing wrong with being upset about a bad performance, and commenting on it- and we were flat out awful for 30 minutes.

But even if we had lost tonight I would not be making ridiculous statements like "this is why we get bounced early every year".

And once again I will remind you- no matter how "easy" an opponent looks, there is no guaranteed win- all you have to do is look at games tonight. Three top contenders all lost to awful teams:

Toronto 6 Anaheim 5
New Jersey 3 Pittsburgh 0
Winnipeg 4 LA 1

First of all my "first round bounce because of this game" comments were made because everyone besides Pekka took the night off for the night off for the first 51 minutes of the game just like the last Vancouver game. Just like our typical games against bottom ten teams. This team does not seem to show the same effort game in and game out which is costly. While I understand that sometimes you just end up with the short end of the stick vs a lower ranked opponent, this seems to happen more times than not for this team which is completely unacceptable if you want to call this team a challenger. Tonight they were all just napping out there for the first 51 minutes and finally after 51 minutes of absolute garbage Neal and Forsberg decided to again like they have for the past several weeks carry this team on their backs and will this team to at least OT.

Finally, if you are going to trash the team repeatedly, and leave them for dead tonight, at least come back on here, admit you were wrong, and give the team credit- that was a GREAT GREAT win considering how bad we were for 32 minutes.

I'm sorry I was unable to immediately reply quickly enough for you here. Earlier I was posting from my phone at the game during the "down" time in the game and didn't really look back here once it got tied up at the end. I then had to actually you know get home from the game. And I am not trying to trash this team, I just don't see the rainbows and pots of gold that others are seeing. Like I said the last time we got into it, all I ask for is for them to show some effort (something missing for 51 minutes tonight).

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Remember that the regular season means very little in the playoffs. The Preds would absolutely be better off facing St. Louis, who have major playoff demons and are 0-3 in series over their last 3 postseasons, than LA, who are 10-1.

St. Louis is the single team who I do not want. I would take any team over them. This team has some kind of monkey on its back when it comes to St. Louis and for some reason I feel like we have a better chance at sweeping LA or Chicago than winning 3 against St. Louis.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
While I understand that sometimes you just end up with the short end of the stick vs a lower ranked opponent, this seems to happen more times than not for this team which is completely unacceptable if you want to call this team a challenger.

I don't think you understand it at all. We lose to bad teams more times than not? You need to do a little research before you post- the Predators are 10-1-2 in their past 13 games vs non-playoff teams. Is that "more times than not"?? What do they have to do- go 13-0-0 to satisfy you?? That is just not the way it works in sports.

And are you not paying attention around the league? I posted earlier but once again in case you missed it- all of these from tonight:

Toronto 6 Anaheim 5
Winnipeg 4 LA 1
Arizona 3 Dallas 1
Edmonton 6 San Jose 3

I guess none of those elite teams are challengers either.

Again- this is the NHL- there are no easy games, especially at this time of year when teams have no pressure and nothing to lose..

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I just don't see the rainbows and pots of gold that others are seeing..

Serious question- I would be curious to know what you do see??

You don't think Predators fans should be happy, excited and optimistic right now the way the team is playing?? We have 2 regulation losses in the past 20 games. 13-2-5 record, best in the league over that span. We have the 4th fewest regulation losses in the league and were it not for our horrible OT play would probably have the 2nd best record in the league.

If I didn't know anything about what was happening with the Preds, by just reading your posts I would swear we were 2-13-5 instead of 13-2-5.

Look, no one on here is saying we are going to win the Cup. But if can't look at this team and see that it is a quality team capable of making noise in the playoffs I don't know what to tell you. We might still get knocked out in the first round- we are going to be playing one of the top 5 teams in the league in round 1.

But to be this negative about this team right now is completely ridiculous...

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I don't think you understand it at all. We lose to bad teams more times than not? You need to do a little research before you post- the Predators are 10-1-2 in their past 13 games vs non-playoff teams. Is that "more times than not"?? What do they have to do- go 13-0-0 to satisfy you?? That is just not the way it works in sports.

And are you not paying attention around the league? I posted earlier but once again in case you missed it- all of these from tonight:

Toronto 6 Anaheim 5
Winnipeg 4 LA 1
Arizona 3 Dallas 1
Edmonton 6 San Jose 3

I guess none of those elite teams are challengers either.

Again- this is the NHL- there are no easy games, especially at this time of year when teams have no pressure and nothing to lose..

So I say that I understand that sometimes you end up with the short end of the stick vs a lesser opponent and then talk about the frequency it occurs and somehow you twist that into tonight's league wide scores? I half agreed with the little man can win and you keep throwing league scores at me.

As for Past 13 games against non playoff teams? Why are you only including past 13? Last I checked the entire season counted. By doing this, you are only counting this recent streak this team has been on and expecting it to continue, but not accounting for what if it doesn't. And while we may end up with the win in the end in these scenarios, this team sure does not play to their normal levels in a lot of these games and that goes back to my point about effort.

And no I don't expect them to bat 1.000. I just don't get how they can look like world beaters against a hot team like Chicago, Dallas, St. Louis, LA Kings, then come out looking like they are skating around in their sleep for the first 50 minutes tonight or first period in the last Vancouver & Calgary games. This team has a split personality.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Serious question- I would be curious to know what you do see??

But to be this negative about this team right now is completely ridiculous...

I see a team that is more likely than not to get knocked out in the first round, depending on who the opponent is. They could get lucky and make it to 7 games and make it to a 2nd round, but I don't see anything past that. Basically I am seeing 2012 all over again.

If I am wrong, so be it.

I am not trying to be negative with this team, I just don't like seeing them take the night off and float for most of the game. I don't know if it is cockiness, or what it is, but something is different and you didn't see this from this team back in November. This cost us 3 points 2 weeks ago and nearly 2 more points tonight. Back in November when this team was struggling, I wasn't all up in arms over all of the losses in November because the effort was there, we were dominating our opposition, but we weren't getting the bounces. Now that we are, the team has gone into more of a laid back, and chill type mood without a sense of urgency and games like Calgary, and Vancouver x2 have happened.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
And no I don't expect them to bat 1.000. I just don't get how they can look like world beaters against a hot team like Chicago, Dallas, St. Louis, LA Kings, then come out looking like they are skating around in their sleep for the first 50 minutes tonight or first period in the last Vancouver & Calgary games. This team has a split personality.
I like how you call Chicago a hot team.....

Being able to win games you deserve to lose against lower level teams is how you know you're a good team. If rolls were reversed people would point out "that's what 30 goal scorers do, they win games for you".

It's worked against us for years. Why not have some fun hoping that it might work in our favor this year?

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I like how you call Chicago a hot team.....

Being able to win games you deserve to lose against lower level teams is how you know you're a good team. If rolls were reversed people would point out "that's what 30 goal scorers do, they win games for you".

It's worked against us for years. Why not have some fun hoping that it might work in our favor this year?

Chicago was when we beat them, they aren't now. I do agree with the rest of your post though.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
drwpreds and I are on the same page generally. We have beaten better teams and lost to worse teams over the past several weeks. Too many folks focus on the former and freak out about the latter.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
I don't know how they pulled that out, but leaving the arena after a comeback win feels great!! And against Vancouver, makes it even better. :handclap:

The crowd exploded after we tied the game, and that standing O was one of the loudest I have heard in a long time. Even after the game was over, the crowd in the hallway was still going nuts!

This was one game I truly would have been okay with only getting a point, based on the way they played the first 45-50 minutes.

In OT we out shot them 6-0! I know we had a PP, but still. Even if we had lost I think I would consider it a success since we actually got a shot on goal during OT.

On Van's second goal, we won the f/o, but instead of clearing it or passing 4 feet up to an open teammate, we dicked around with it and eventually turned it over. That goal pissed me off the most.

Matt Hendricks may need to move over because Smith's move in the shootout may have to be called the paralyzer!

And if Miller and the Vancouver people are going to complain about Smith almost stopping, then they need to complain about Patrick Kane, since he does the same ****. But for Kane it's incredible, sick moves. Smith does that and we need to revisit the rule book. :shakehead

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Smiths shoutout goal fine. There were very little Canucks fans that complained about it.

Also man that crowd. Good stuff.

What a sad state my canooks are in when it only takes 10 minutes of the press trying to beat them. If you guys played in the playoffs like you did in the last 10 minutes you guys are going places.

Henrik sedin also had some flattering stuff to say about you guys. That the preds were a top team and certainly contending this year.

Good game guys.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I've been to three or four games this year, which is a lot for me compared to how many I've been able to attend over the last handful of seasons, and not once did we have a standing ovation. Not once. Glad to hear we had one last night, sparkle :yo: bringin' back old times.

As for the argument about how the team performs against non-playoff opponents, let's go ahead and end that here. Both sides have made their points. There's no reason to continue it. If this thread isn't closed soon (I don't know what AW or Jonesey have planned with regard to closing the GDT) can we please keep that particular debate to PM or somewhere else? I don't see a resolution in sight, and there's no sense in further cluttering up discussion with it as far as I'm concerned.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Great win! I'm a big believer of momentum in sports and things are looking good right now. Hope it keeps going! Johansen trade FTW!

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
I will say though that we got lucky on not getting a penalty on that non call by Ribiero for tripping the Canuck player that lead to Forsberg's goal but I'll take it.

Last edited:

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
Two things:

1. I will admit - I saw they were still down 2-0 with 10 to go, and I sighed and went off to bed.

2. This win... does it obliterate That One Loss back in March of 2002?

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
So I say that I understand that sometimes you end up with the short end of the stick vs a lesser opponent and then talk about the frequency it occurs and somehow you twist that into tonight's league wide scores? I half agreed with the little man can win and you keep throwing league scores at me.

As for Past 13 games against non playoff teams? Why are you only including past 13? Last I checked the entire season counted. By doing this, you are only counting this recent streak this team has been on and expecting it to continue, but not accounting for what if it doesn't. And while we may end up with the win in the end in these scenarios, this team sure does not play to their normal levels in a lot of these games and that goes back to my point about effort.

Preds33,

I am not going to comment on how much of other hockey you watch around the NHL because I don't know but what you described in your last paragraph happens ALL THE TIME. This is the NHL not the NBA where the worst team in the league has almost no chance of beating the Golden State Warriors. The difference between the best and the worst teams is not all that much and
last night was a perfect example. Look at the teams Anaheim, LA and Dallas lost to last night.

Until the Preds were finally able to bust through I was ready to accept that the Canucks played a damn near perfect road game last night and Ryan Miller was in the zone. That **** just happens some times. I thought the Preds, after the first 10 minutes of the game, we're giving an honest effort all night. Was it a playoff game effort? No, but you can't play every single reg season game with that effort.

Basically I think your perspective is way off.

Last edited:

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Two things:

1. I will admit - I saw they were still down 2-0 with 10 to go, and I sighed and went off to bed.

2. This win... does it obliterate That One Loss back in March of 2002?

No win obliterates the hurt of a bad loss for me. It's just a different feeling. I don't remember which One Loss you mean, in all honesty, so that one obviously didn't affect me like it did you and maybe others. I just know that the feeling from that loss to Chicago in game 5--the Erat fiasco--isn't obliterated by subsequent wins. It still "is". Maybe it doesn't hurt quite as much now, but I think that's just the effects of time.

I went to last night's game alone. I had taken some allergy medicine and it was making me really drowsy...and I was bored. But...you know, I had this little feeling of "don't leave. This isn't over." So I stayed. Boy am I glad I did! That place simply exploded after Filip's goal. And to make it through the overtime? Hey, that's pretty cool. And then to WIN??? Oh, my. I sat through On the Fly and then the third period of the Sharks game and then On the Fly AGAIN just to see the highlights.

Thanks, WTG! Much appreciated!

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Was considering leaving around the 10 minute mark in the third, because of an early meeting this morning. As the words are coming out of my mouth asking if my buddy wants to leave at the next stoppage, we score.

The rest, as they say is history.

Great team effort last night and reminding me to never give up hope boys!

clapping_joker_batman_dark_knight.gif

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
If you're hanging on to a loss back in March of 2002, I don't think anyone here can help you with an answer.

seconded. I have been here through the highs and lows and was a partial ticket plan holder back then and I have no idea what you are referring to.

SavageSteve

Mar 28, 2008
Nashville, TN
seconded. I have been here through the highs and lows and was a partial ticket plan holder back then and I have no idea what you are referring to.

The Preds were thrashed 5-0 by the 'Nucks March 12th, of 2002: http://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/200203120NSH.html

That was when the Preds had An_y _elmore (there was absolutely no 'D' in the man's game so why should it be in his name?). He posted a -4 that night and why I love how our current D was drafted and developed.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
I remember that March 2002 loss to Vancouver. Even if the stats don't show it, it was one of the worst beatdowns the Preds, even in those Dark Ages, ever took. The score was something like 4-0 or 5-0 but it wasn't even that close. That was a game were the Pred's had like one shot on goal in the first, single digits through two periods and got totally rolled in what was supposed to be a statement game for Nashville. Literally so bad all these years later that game still sticks out of my mind as one of their worst ever. Who knows why we remember things like that.

Edit oops, was typing as you posted that 5-0 box score.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Didn't we have a 4-0 lead on Vancouver once and lose 5-4 a long time ago? I remember that game more than the 5-0 one. Assuming I'm correct.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I think we did, Drake. Maybe 8 - 10 years ago? I was listening to it on XM. Their announcer had said so many great things about the Preds...and then we blew it.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I think we did, Drake. Maybe 8 - 10 years ago? I was listening to it on XM. Their announcer had said so many great things about the Preds...and then we blew it.
I feel like it was longer ago than that, like before we started making the playoffs more often than not. I could be wrong though.

I remember we had a home game against Colorado back in our crappy early days and their glory days where we had a whopping 9 shots on goal the whole game. That was a fun one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad