Tennis: Wimbledon 2024

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Didn't see it, but Machac came back from losing the first two sets to Goffin to win the match in five sets, after trailing 5-love in the final set. Reportedly, Machac played well, but David just utterly fell apart. Have to feel for the guy. This could be the type of occurrence that actually hasten retirement for the veteran.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
After losing the first set to Seyboth Wild, Rune fines form and wins in four sets. Given Nole's lacklustre performance today against Nobody You Will Ever Hear of Again, their potential fourth round match up is getting more and more intriguing.

• Haha
Reactions: MsMeow

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Draper failed to serve out the third set; he's already down two sets so that's not good. Especially with Norrie hopping around like the Energizer Bunny willing to go the distance however long it takes.

My predicted semi-finalist goes out in straight sets to his fellow countryman, 6, 3 and 6.

Note to self: trendy picks never work out.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Draper's volley game can be mystifying. When he is good, he looks like a vintage Australian, circa 1964; when he is bad, he looks like a vintage Chilean, circa 1964.

VMBM

Hansel?!
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Emil Ruusuvuori beating Tsitsipas, how about that! While a promising player for years now, he's been frustratingly inconsistent throughout his career; too often a big win is followed by a lame performance. I doubt he'll advance much further here either, but hyvä Suomi anyway.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Emil Ruusuvuori beating Tsitsipas, how about that! While a promising player for years now, he's been frustratingly inconsistent throughout his career; too often a big win is followed by a lame performance. I doubt he'll advance much further here either, but hyvä Suomi anyway.

As soon as Stef got back with Badosa, it was wraps for winning. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Kind of strange to realize that Rublev and Tsitsipas are out of the tournament while Francisco Comesana is playing in the third round.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Another slow start for Carlitos. In the first two rounds, he has started with a tie breaker, only this time he didn't quite get there, 5-7. A seemingly rejuvenated Tiafoe's recovery from two sets down over Arnaldi has shaken him out of his months long doldrums. Not a player you'd want to allow to build up a head of steam, either.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Andreescu again fails to get beyond the third round as she loses to #7 Paolini, 7-6, 6-1. All those awful injuries over the years have really cursed her game.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
At a set apiece, Carlos throws in an absolutely horrendous service game to go down a break to Tiafoe in the third set, 4-3. Not much sparkle today.

Foe serves it out, and now we got major problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Carlos barely holds for 5-4 in the fourth set. He looks flat today, no pep, like his parakeet died or something.

He saves some of his best tennis of the set for the breaker which he wins 7-2, and on to the fifth set.

5th set: Playing smarter tennis, Carlos gets the first break, 2-1.....second break quickly follows, 4-1.

Carlos raised his game when he needed to, but Juan Carlos and the rest of the brain trust have to be concerned by his slow starts and relative lack of zip so far.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Kind of strange to realize that Rublev and Tsitsipas are out of the tournament while Francisco Comesana is playing in the third round.
Isn’t that what they’ve become to be known for? Throw in no Ruud (on grass), and if you were going to ask for three top 11 seeds to go out so early, those might be the three you’d pick.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Shapo, a horrendous 5-11 in tie breakers this year, plays an absolutely brilliant one and takes the first set from Shelton.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Shapo's unforced errors and double faults are really hurting him. So many up and comers that are passing him by now. On the plus side, he has a better handle on his outbursts and stare downs to his box!
He is close to victory but can't close!

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Close for Shapo, but Shelton wins his third straight five-set match to go to the round of 16. If he keeps this up, his legs are eventually going to fall off.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Bit of a shocker. After losing the first set by an ordinary 6-3 score, Putinseva plays a perfect set and blows away Iga in the second, 6-1. Can this quality possibly last? Highly doubtful.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Svitolina on another nice slam run as she defeats Jabeur in straight sets. Both in terms of body language and demeanor, Ons looks miserable out there, worn down to a nub by the self-imposed pressure. She needs a sabbatical because right now the last place she seems to want to be is on a tennis court. Hard not to feel for her as she seems such a decent person.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Putintseva isn't letting up. She is at 5-1 in the deciding set and on the verge of a gigantic upset. Swiatek has no answers these last two sets.

Putintseva got a little tight but took the match on her third match point. By far, the biggest win of her career, and the women's side is now wide open...well, Rybakina might disagree and rightly so.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad