Tennis: Wimbledon 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Defending champs are Alcaraz and Vondrousova.

Alcaraz beat Djokovic in a 5 setter in the final last year.

Djokovic is still on the EL and has arrived at Wimbledon

We'll see if he'll be fit enough.

Nadal will not compete.

Newly #1 Sinner is coming off a title in Halle (SF here last year).

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sinner over Medvedev
Alcaraz over Paul

Draper over Rublev
De Minaur over Rune

-----------------------

Alcaraz over Sinner
De Minaur over Draper

------------------------

Alcaraz over De Minaur

Nole has an easy draw and Rune hasn't found form yet, but I don't trust Nole's fitness or health.
Too bad Alcaraz and Sinner ever have to meet in the semis of majors.
If the pressure doesn't crush him, Draper could make a nice run here.
Might be underestimating Rublev and Hurkacz. Can see either or both upsetting my apple cart.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Carlos gets unexpected resistance from Estonia's Lajal, he of the pineapple hair, but Alcaraz takes the eventual tie breaker easily. Gotta say, though, Lajal looks quite comfortable on grass....Lajal hung impressively tough, but Carlos wins in straight sets 7-6, 7-5, 6-2. Might have treated this guy a little lightly...good lesson to learn early in a tournament.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Coming back from two sets down is all the rage today:

Bublik over Mensik
Tiafoe over Arnaldi
Harris over Michelsen
Thompson over Kotov

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'm glad Andy can at least play doubles with his brother Jamie. He deserves to hear the roar of the crowd at Wimbledon one last time.

Reactions: MsMeow and Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Volleying may be making a comeback, but now the problem is that most players have forgotten how to hit good approach shots.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
So far today:

French up-and-comer Mpetshi Perricard knocks off Korda in five gruelling sets 7-6, 6-7, 7-6, 6-7, 6-3
Demon squeezes by countryman Duckworth, 7-6, 7-6, 7-6
Shelton comes from behind against Belluci to win in five, with Ben looking like if a cow can eat it, he doesn't want to play on it.
....and Nole looks pretty damn good up a break in the third against a way over-matched Kopriva who is at least providing Djokovic with a decent practice session.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Argentine Francesco Comesana, who before this match had a career record (0-3) worse than any goldfish you could name, just knocked out #6 Andrei Rublev in four sets. Rublev had yet another miserable day. The guy needs a sabbatical and better counselling.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Medvedev down a set and a break to Muller of all people.

Daniil saved two set points, one spectacularly with a stretch backhand volley, recovered from 0-3 with Muller to serve in the subsequent breaker, and finally steadied the ship long enough to snatch the set away from Muller. I doubt there will be much resistance the rest of the way.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Frog chokes away a two set, 5-2 with two service break lead in the third against Ruud. Ruud seemed indifferent to his fate, but then had a comeback handed to him and took the set, 7-1 in the breaker.

You would think that would be a big turning point, but, no, Ruud goes back to his rudderless game and loses the match to Fabio 6-3 in the fourth set as Fog rediscovers his forehand just in time.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Andreescu moves to the second round having knocker off #26 Noskova in straight sets. Interesting factoid: excluding obviously the US Open, Andreescu has never been past the third round in any other GS tournament.

Reactions: MsMeow

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Day Two of Felix's match against Kokkinakis and things aren't going well. This match should have been over yesterday, but Felix wasted four match points (two on serve), lost the third set breaker and had the match suspended due to fading light. Today, FAA is now trailing 5-3 in the fourth set with a rain delay currently halting the proceedings.

Some time later:

e040f790ce334dbf7c59b317639c8b17.jpg

Felix loses in five sets.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MsMeow

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
We are not even midway through the second round and we have already had eight comebacks from two sets down. Safuillun, Machac and Kokkinakis added to the total today, which I believe is already more than the total number of two-sets to love comebacks from last year.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sinner wins the first two sets against Berrettini 6 (3) and 6 (4). It looked like Matteo was going to win the second set after he broke Jannick for 4-2, but Sinner broke right back and got to the breaker.

I thought that Sinner was experiencing a lull in the second set around the time he got broken, but the third set was even more worrisome as Berrettini takes it 6-2.

4th set: Sinner's doldrums continue and get more serious as Berrettini nabs the first break for 2-1. The longer this malaise continues the more one worries that there is something physically wrong with Jannick....but Berrettini, who has never beaten a player ranked #1 in four previous attempts, once again can't convert, and the set is 2-all....another breaker and another win for Sinner, 7-6, 7-6, 2-6, 7-6. That was a challenge for Sinner, for sure.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad