Player Discussion William Nylander

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Willy has such natural chemistry with dawgs. In the playoffs he and Knies were showing their chemistry. Now Willy and McMann with unbelievable chemistry.

Do not remove Domi from Willy's side at all.

Tavares on the 3rd line would be good.

Willy can drive a line. He makes everyone better. That's the key difference between him and Marner who needs someone else to drive the line so he can make a sneaky play from the shadows.

AM is our best player and goal scorer and C. WN is a close second playing as a Winger+ sort of a quasi C mindset. It's working for him since he figured it out.

Willy is awesome

Reactions: sunstersun

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Some croweating for me because i did not belive Domi and Nylander would be this good together. Happy i was wrong. But i am right this far about Tavares with Nylander.
They both like to cheat for offense so seems like a good match, it's been great so far.
Tavares is too slow to play with Nylander.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
They both like to cheat for offense so seems like a good match, it's been great so far.
Tavares is too slow to play with Nylander.
What a pathetic snipe from the bushes. That must be why Nylander/Domi are +5/6 while your boy Marner is +1. :laugh::laugh:

Nylander's been fantastic, it's too bad you're letting your love for Marner getting in the way of appreciating what a fine player he is.

freshwind

Mar 23, 2002
What a pathetic snipe from the bushes. That must be why Nylander/Domi are +5/6 while your boy Marner is +1. :laugh::laugh:

Nylander's been fantastic, it's too bad you're letting your love for Marner getting in the way of appreciating what a fine player he is.
seems like the coach agrees with you as well ...
berube after the game last night ----
It was the same as last game. What did he have, eight shots last game? I didn’t look at the shot sheet yet, but he had a ton of opportunities again.

He is skating really well. He is strong on pucks, he’s getting to open ice, and he is looking to shoot.

He has been strong defensively and in good positions. He broke some plays up tonight with his stick. He had some good stick detail and got opportunities the other way.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
seems like the coach agrees with you as well ...
berube after the game last night ----
It was the same as last game. What did he have, eight shots last game? I didn’t look at the shot sheet yet, but he had a ton of opportunities again.

He is skating really well. He is strong on pucks, he’s getting to open ice, and he is looking to shoot.

He has been strong defensively and in good positions. He broke some plays up tonight with his stick. He had some good stick detail and got opportunities the other way.
Nylander's always been good with his stick and gets a lot of takeaways, not sure why some people think he's a terrible defensive player.

Reactions: freshwind

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Willy is a beast, plus I would never fault a great offensive player for sub par defence at times.
I would agree with this, and he's not as bad defensively as some people seem to think. He's been great so far and if he keeps it up, the 11.5M might even look like a good deal for us. Most importantly though, unlike our other "superstars", I have a high level of confidence that Nylander will bring it in the playoffs!

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
Willy can drive a line. He makes everyone better. That's the key difference between him and Marner who needs someone else to drive the line so he can make a sneaky play from the shadows.

AM is our best player and goal scorer and C. WN is a close second playing as a Winger+ sort of a quasi C mindset. It's working for him since he figured it out.

Willy is awesome
Willy has the potential to be even better than Matthews. For as much as I like Matthews, he doesn't have the ability to drive play compared to even a Drai.

The lack of a signature move/onetimer area for Matthews is hurting him. Not in the regular season, but playoffs.

Willy, straight up is #2 in the league at zone entry and puck control and would be #1 if we didn't have McJesus in the league.

I like Domi, someone like Lindholm would have broken the game for the Leafs imo.

Reactions: thewave

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
I would agree with this, and he's not as bad defensively as some people seem to think. He's been great so far and if he keeps it up, the 11.5M might even look like a good deal for us. Most importantly though, unlike our other "superstars", I have a high level of confidence that Nylander will bring it in the playoffs!
Willie has that don’t give a f*** attitude in a good way.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Willy has the potential to be even better than Matthews. For as much as I like Matthews, he doesn't have the ability to drive play compared to even a Drai.

The lack of a signature move/onetimer area for Matthews is hurting him. Not in the regular season, but playoffs.

Willy, straight up is #2 in the league at zone entry and puck control and would be #1 if we didn't have McJesus in the league.

I like Domi, someone like Lindholm would have broken the game for the Leafs imo.

I don't disagree. There is a thread way back when they were kids still and I said the same. Willy has the potential to be the best. I was laughed at as you can imagine but here we are.

I do like Matthews game though. I like it way more away from MM oddly or not oddly enough. We all saw the increased production when with Domi last year.

Reactions: sunstersun

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Willie has that don’t give a f*** attitude in a good way.
He does! It's like nothing under the sun bothers him, he's 100% unflappable and it's hard to explain how valuable such a character trait is when you're playing for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
I don't disagree. There is a thread way back when they were kids still and I said the same. Willy has the potential to be the best. I was laughed at as you can imagine but here we are.

I do like Matthews game though. I like it way more away from MM oddly or not oddly enough. We all saw the increased production when with Domi last year.
Matthews can play a high tempo game. Weirdly enough Nylander and Matthews doesn't work well either. It's still good, but Nylander needs to be the focal point on his line.

I just wish Matthews had a Drai/Ovi one timer. Then it doesn't even matter if you can drive play or not.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Matthews can play a high tempo game. Weirdly enough Nylander and Matthews doesn't work well either. It's still good, but Nylander needs to be the focal point on his line.

I just wish Matthews had a Drai/Ovi one timer. Then it doesn't even matter if you can drive play or not.
I've been saying this for a long time - Nylander produces no matter who his linemates are.

Some nights yes, some nights no.
Consistent effort has always be his weakness.
He has some moments during the regular season where he looks like he's not really trying too hard but as long as he keeps playing like a star in the playoffs, I really don't care. Do you?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
He does! It's like nothing under the sun bothers him, he's 100% unflappable and it's hard to explain how valuable such a character trait is when you're playing for the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Well something flapped him when he broke his stick on the bench 2 games ago. I like the show of emotion though.

Reactions: ACC1224

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad