William Nylander Value/Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Right now Nylander is a walking Don Cherry Swedish Stereotype. Uber talented, afraid of the corners, brings the same intensity to the playoffs as he does in game 62 of the regular season.

Let's hope he doesn't validate what guys like Cherry have been saying about guys like Nylander his entire career.

I’m so glad the pro stereotypes that cherry preaches of good ol toronto boys brown and Hyman won us the series

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
how do you know how much nylander wants? I know its safe to assume he thinks $6M is what he deserves, but you don't know and then you go on to say he will hold out, you know none of this. Im sorry but less than $5M I think you are in a dream world there. His contract is not strictly negotiated on his last 7 games played. Less than 5 for a 2 time 61 point scorer in his 1st 2 seasons gets more than $5M
He will get a short term contract and it will be far less then what you think.

He has not earned 5 million yet and contracts that are negotiated with term take in future value as a consideration.

His whole time in the NHL he has shown to be timid and if you think the Leafs are going to sign him to a deal that starts with a 6 then consider this contract negotiations as your lesson on how a flaw in your game affects salary when you are a RFA.

Reactions: drewjenks

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
cmon, he is using 2nd season as in games played experience, nylander played 22 games in that season. He has similar experience to zaitsev who that poster was claiming his contract is ok because its only his 2nd season

edit: this also despite zaitsev being 26 and nylander being 22
What does Nylander contract have to do with Zeitsev?

One was about to become a UFA the other is going to be a RFA

kindalaidback

숨 참고 LOVE DIVE
Nov 24, 2017
NYC
yeah I agree with you all of this. Unfortunately you have to be tough in order to play for the leafs in some peoples eyes, I can see Nylander thinking what is the better option here me running into this player and probably losing the puck OR if I curl back and try again or passing elsewhere will we get a better chance id love to see him run straight into opposing player and fight through it but if he isn't confident doing it its just a turnover anyway
In the past two seasons, William showed many times that he is willing to go into boards and battle for the puck (e.g. Matthews scoring his goal against the Rangers; that was all Willie battling for the puck). It's not on us that the rest of the Leafs fans have forgotten about this.
Last night, he was one of few players that could skate through the zones. Unfortunately, neither Johnsson nor Kadri could do much with the puck. And I get why people want him to be a little tougher, like, throwing hits or something. But it's not his game, and I love that he uses skill to play hockey rather than physicality. Makes him way better.

and lol, Don Cherry- no one gives a f*** what some old man who thinks we're still in 1834 has to say about William Nylander

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
you defending Zaitsevs contract saying he is only in 2nd season, but you also are adamant Nylander shouldn't get more than $6M despite it only being his 2nd season and having 2 61 point seasons and being 4 years younger than zaitsev. Also this thread is called 'William Nylander Value/Contract'

I didn't bring up Zaitsev... but you know what, I'm not going to feed your trolling... because clearly you don't understand my point of view on Nylander OR Zaitsev.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I didn't bring up Zaitsev... but you know what, I'm not going to feed your trolling... because clearly you don't understand my point of view on Nylander OR Zaitsev.

trolling? jeeze if you think its trolling you must be new to the internet. I read it as you saying Zaitsev's contract isn't bad (yet) is that not what you meant? then I made the correlation to nylanders contract and if it were $6M how would that be bad under the same criteria you gave zaitsev?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
When comparing Pastrnak to Nylander this season and this playoffs its clear he is not on that level so the $6.67 that Pasta signed would be out of reach for the Nylander contract. IMO

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
When comparing Pastrnak to Nylander this season and this playoffs its clear he is not on that level so the $6.67 that Pasta signed would be out of reach for the Nylander contract. IMO

of course it is, lou will use pasta's performance as the reason why that isn't going to happen for nylander. Nylander will point to ehlers who really hasn't don't much more than Nylander.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Been following the discussion and I dont get how you think @Walshy7 is trolling?

Because he's trying to bait me, and I'm not going to go down that route.

Here is the situation:

I responded to a claim that Zaitsev is signed at a bad contract, and claimed he's underrated on these parts. Next to Hainsey, Zaitsev was probably leaned on more than any other D man. He also had a bit of injury issues through much of the season.

Contrary to popular belief around here, there is little reason to be worried about that contract yet. This was only Zaitsev's second season, he will get better.

Walshy 'trolled' me by trying to spin my point arround on a false narrative that I think Nylander will get overpaid. I wasn't discussing Nylander. I'm actually not worried if he gets paid more than I think he should... I trust our management will do the right thing.

Contrary to popular belief around here, there is little reason to be worried about Nylander if he gets more than $6M contract. This was only Nylander's second season, he will get better

It became even more clear to me that he was trolling me when he said the following:

What does this have to do with my post?

you defending Zaitsevs contract saying he is only in 2nd season, but you also are adamant Nylander shouldn't get more than $6M despite it only being his 2nd season and having 2 61 point seasons and being 4 years younger than zaitsev. Also this thread is called 'William Nylander Value/Contract'

This has NOTHING to do with my Zaitsev comment, they're not even good contract comparables... He's trying to bait me because we have a difference in opinion on what Nylander SHOULD get paid. Then suggests its a Nylander thread... I didn't even bring up Zaitsev.

I'll follow up this post as to why a 60P 21Yo isn't worth >$6 mil.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Marner has been the one driving the lines he had been on. Nylander has not done this and he has played primarily with Mathews and when Mathews was gone he was not productive.

Usage Marner has produced playing against the top players in the league.

What you are failing to realize is that We just played our biggest 7 games and when measuring the two of them one is a stud and the other is a dud. You build a team around Marner and Nylander has only left huge questions marks.

Nylander will not be offered any contact starting with a 6 not a chance he is looking at a two year deal at 4.25 approx per.

Marner is our best player and has been since Christmas.

The funny thing is I can actually see one side pushing hard for a bridge deal, but for different reasons that you imply. I think Nyalanders agent will do his best to try and get a 1-2 year deal, but management will look for more term.

Which is why I think they’ll end up compromising around the 5-6 year mark when it comes to term at about 6 million.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Because he's trying to bait me, and I'm not going to go down that route.

Here is the situation:

I responded to a claim that Zaitsev is signed at a bad contract, and claimed he's underrated on these parts. Next to Hainsey, Zaitsev was probably leaned on more than any other D man. He also had a bit of injury issues through much of the season.

Walshy 'trolled' me by trying to spin my point arround on a false narrative that I think Nylander will get overpaid. I wasn't discussing Nylander. I'm actually not worried if he gets paid more than I think he should... I trust our management will do the right thing.

It became even more clear to me that he was trolling me when he said the following:

This has NOTHING to do with my Zaitsev comment, they're not even good contract comparables... He's trying to bait me because we have a difference in opinion on what Nylander SHOULD get paid. Then suggests its a Nylander thread... I didn't even bring up Zaitsev.

I'll follow up this post as to why a 60P 21Yo isn't worth >$6 mil.

I’m sorry you think that is trolling, it is not the case. What is ehlers paid as a 60 point forward?.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

Pastrnak this season is a lot better then Pastrnak last season, when he signed his contract.

Reactions: Menzinger

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
He will get a short term contract and it will be far less then what you think.

He has not earned 5 million yet and contracts that are negotiated with term take in future value as a consideration.

His whole time in the NHL he has shown to be timid and if you think the Leafs are going to sign him to a deal that starts with a 6 then consider this contract negotiations as your lesson on how a flaw in your game affects salary when you are a RFA.

He has not? Lol, you are seriously clueless about hockey.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

Nylander if he signs long term his dollar value on a per year basis will be reflective of what he will be able to become in the future, so if Nylander or management sees him being able to be as good as pasta in the future why wouldn’t he get similar money? Regardless if he’s not as good today.

I’m not saying Nylander will be that good or sign for that amount simply pointing out that just because Nylander didn’t play as well as pasta did this year doesn’t mean he can’t command the same type of salary going forward.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Pastrnak last season is a lot better than Nylander this season though.

Right, which caps nylander at $6.6m nonreason he earns more than Pastrnak. Ehlers has done nothing more than nylander so both sides have there points they won’t go lower than

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad