Value of: William Nylander for an RHD

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
From an impartial perspective here, now actually may be the time to strike for a defender using Nylander as the centerpiece, if something is out there. This period may be the nexus of his trade value. Nylander is not that far removed from being the very hyped prospect in his own right that was dominant at a young age at the AHL level; right now, an organization can sell itself on the idea that they’re trading for a young 60+ point forward who has the potential to be the guy at the center ice position. As he gets older and more locked in on Matthews’ wing with Kadri blocking him at the 2C position, I think the view of him will become that of a pure winger that is the 2nd fiddle on his line. At that point he would still hold value, but not enough to give up a core piece at a premium position for.

His current production isn’t irreplaceable, particularly next to a player like Matthews.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Could try another 462 Kapanen+2nd+Carrick offers for every good defenceman in the league threads, I suppose.

Trading Nylander inherently is not dumb. Trading Nylander and not getting a legit #1, like the Oilers did with Hall, IS dumb. All depends on what the return is.

Oiler fans get really frustrated when fans of other teams try to pawn their #2-3 defencemen and spare change off as a reasonable return for Draisaitl - looking at you, Wild fans - so we do get it.
Dumba is a legit 1st pairing dman and nobody is trying to pawn him off. You come calling for our 1st pairing dman well the only thing we need are 1st line forwards. Well, the oilers have two and one of them is arguably the best player in the league. The other is Draisaitl. No other player/piece the Oilers have is even close to either Dumba/Spurgeon (if you say RNH you’re outta your mind).

So ba’scuse you, tell Oiler fans to stop making threads about Dumba/Spurgeon when they know the answer they are going to get already.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
From an impartial perspective here, now actually may be the time to strike for a defender using Nylander as the centerpiece, if something is out there. This period may be the nexus of his trade value. Nylander is not that far removed from being the very hyped prospect in his own right that was dominant at a young age at the AHL level; right now, an organization can sell itself on the idea that they’re trading for a young 60+ point forward who has the potential to be the guy at the center ice position. As he gets older and more locked in on Matthews’ wing with Kadri blocking him at the 2C position, I think the view of him will become that of a pure winger that is the 2nd fiddle on his line. At that point he would still hold value, but not enough to give up a core piece at a premium position for.

His current production isn’t irreplaceable, particularly next to a player like Matthews.
as a leafs fan this is what I'm saying spot on buddy . You need to give a quality player in order to get one and he is the most expendable quality player we have

Dumba is a legit 1st pairing dman and nobody is trying to pawn him off. You come calling for our 1st pairing dman well the only thing we need are 1st line forwards. Well, the oilers have two and one of them is arguably the best player in the league. The other is Draisaitl. No other player/piece the Oilers have is even close to either Dumba/Spurgeon (if you say RNH you’re outta your mind).

So ba’scuse you, tell Oiler fans to stop making threads about Dumba/Spurgeon when they know the answer they are going to get already.

Secondly i Would do Nylander + 2018 1st , + a prospect/LEVIO for Dumba right now

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He’d make them prettier. That’s for sure

That breaks up their 1st pair locked up for the next 7 years at a crazy low number.

Like I said before right now I wouldn't look at trading for Nylander with the mindset of him becoming the teams driver.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
So, with his pathetic non showing come playoff time and contract demands in play, what could he fetch on the market?

Could a base of Hamilton for Nylander be a fair deal for both teams?

It would hurt to lose Nylander for the leafs but Hamilton would fix a ton of their needs.
There’s some good selling features. Diminish his value before you even start the trade talks. I’ll start with a dozen donuts.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
So, with his pathetic non showing come playoff time and contract demands in play, what could he fetch on the market?

It would hurt to lose Nylander for the leafs but Hamilton would fix a ton of their needs.
Well this thread is gonna be a ball of fun.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Oh Leafs fans. Those 2 on 1 plays by the defenceman on each was just awful!!! Like really who the hell is in charge of your defence core? Fire that guy my gawd
Don't tell some of our fans that....apparently Andersen is our biggest problem....D is just fine supposedly.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Nylander and Liljegren for Trouba

If forced to trade Trouba........your at least in the right ballpark. We wouldn't get a clone of Trouba back (top pairing young RHD) so it would need to be a RHD good prospect and a good forward.......your offer fits the bill IMO.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
If forced to trade Trouba........your at least in the right ballpark. We wouldn't get a clone of Trouba back (top pairing young RHD) so it would need to be a RHD good prospect and a good forward.......your offer fits the bill IMO.
That offer would never be made though....

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Nylander and Liljegren for Trouba

I like Nylander, but I assume he’s signing a contract for $6M to $6.5 AAV. That’s too expensive when our top four wingers (Wheeler, Laine, Ehlers, Connor) are as good as or better than Nylander.

Arguably, we could use a 2C - not sure if the Leafs developed him that much in that role.

Though, if the Jets moved Wheeler to C, perhaps it could work. Still, his expected AAV might be too much to take on for us.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
That offer would never be made though....

That's ok, we're hoping Trouba will not be available this summer after signing long term with the Jets. Plus Josh will be signed, our top pairing is then signed long term for many years to come. :thumbu:

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Ok. We're gonna trade Matthews too because of his "pathetic non showing come playoffs"

Nylander isn't available. Ignore this thread.

Reactions: Mats13

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Secondly i Would do Nylander + 2018 1st , + a prospect/LEVIO for Dumba right now
I think Dumba's probably the last player the Wild should trade outside of Granlund, but Nylander's a name that would make me reconsider that. However, one of the Wild's ongoing problems is guys that do well in the regular season but can't push through and score in the playoffs, so if Nylander is struggling with that it might be a tiny red-flag. He's 21 though, so I do emphasize "tiny."

Nylander + 1st + prospect is too much for Dumba though; I assume this is the frustration talking. And frankly there are probably better ways for both teams to address their needs.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Not advocating it, but I could see the Leafs trading him+ for a good RHD. Leafs have lots of scoring but weakness on D in both quality chances and shot totals....Andersen has been their MVP this year without doubt and maybe even last year but he can’t do it all.....he needs more support. Marner & AM have proven they are both better then Nylander so he becomes the most expendable. Only other possible trade chip is Kadri (if Nylander was moved to 2C) and The Leafs would have to add to him to get a good RHD due to Kadri age and he’s likely hit his peak already and start declining in a few years around 30.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015

Sigh. Why are people so stupid?

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Gotta love these melt down threads for a 21 year old who clearly is having a sophmore slump

It isn't a sophomore slump though. I used to attend Marlies games regularly and noticed in the playoffs a couple of years ago that Nylander all but disappeared and played poorly defensively. I excused it at the time, but it now seems to be a trend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad