Will you be Mad at Hamhuis if He doesnt waive his NTC??

Status
Not open for further replies.

topheavyhookjaw

Sep 7, 2008
Nope, guy has been a great player and citizen for Vancouver. Got the NTC because he was a top of market option in Free Agency due to years of strong play. Has not disappointed here in the least, and is clearly a family guy who is considering the impacts of his career on his family (something I value personally). He can do what he wants.

Sidebar, amazing how a player's personality and perception affects these considerations. To this day loathe Kesler for how he handled getting out of Vancouver, would take Hamhuis doing something really out of character for me to feel that way about him.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Nope, guy has been a great player and citizen for Vancouver. Got the NTC because he was a top of market option in Free Agency due to years of strong play. Has not disappointed here in the least, and is clearly a family guy who is considering the impacts of his career on his family (something I value personally). He can do what he wants.

Sidebar, amazing how a player's personality and perception affects these considerations. To this day loathe Kesler for how he handled getting out of Vancouver, would take Hamhuis doing something really out of character for me to feel that way about him.

Its totally different because Kesler wanted to leave Vancouver and Hammer never wants to leave.

But either way I was never mad at Kesler either, I respect him for wanting to win. He knew this teams window was closed with this core.

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
Nope - but I would like to see him win a cup, and that isn't going to happen here.

Like Schneider, I would cheer for Hamhuis wherever he goes.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I'll be mad if he gets injured prior to the deadline.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I wouldn't really be mad at him because it's his right but I don't really understand why he wouldn't.

He's not the player he once was and he's not getting any younger. This is a huge opportunity for him to have a real shot at the Cup. If he says no it kind of means he doesn't really have interest in winning and cares more about a high level of comfort as he plays out his career.

He'd only be leaving his family for a couple months and then could sign back here. If he doesn't want to sign back here or if the team doesn't want him, he's going to be moving anyway so it's not that big of a deal to start now.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
No. He made a better than fair contract in terms of dollars in exchange for a NTC. It is his right fair and square.

That said, rumor has it Chicago is very interested in acquiring both Hammer and Vrbata. If the option is a cup run with Chicago I can't imagine he will not waive.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
No. He made a better than fair contract in terms of dollars in exchange for a NTC. It is his right fair and square.

That said, rumor has it Chicago is very interested in acquiring both Hammer and Vrbata. If the option is a cup run with Chicago I can't imagine he will not waive.

Yeah I wonder if we can pry that Forsling kid out of their system....

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
No, I wouldn't be mad, but at the same time I'd be talking to Edler as well - one of those two should be dealt.

However I wouldn't expect Benning to think that far ahead.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
Wouldn't really be mad at Hamhuis, Linden to me is the guy who needs to coerce him into waiving it. It's not so much about Hamhuis' preferences and more about the senior guys running the team imposing their will because they know it's best for the franchise. That is exactly what their professional purpose is, and if Hamhuis stays, and we don't get any futures for him, and finish 9th instead of 11th they simply aren't doing a very good job no matter how you look at it

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
echoing everyone. Disappointed for the franchise because they didn't do a good enough job selling the idea to him, but as a man, he earned every right to exercise his NTC. Been a top contributor to the community here and is welcome to stay until his eventual retirement.

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
Nope. Not only would I not be mad, but I might respect him even more.

WHY? Because when he signed here he took a big HOME TOWN DISCOUNT and part of the reason he took it was because of the NTC. So that is his right, and no player should EVER be made to feel bad about not wanting to waive it. In fact, it is disrespectful for teams to ask more than once.

If the team does ask him if he would be willing to waive, and he says "No thank you" then that should be the end of it. Would be unprofessional to ask more than once and furthermore, the public should never find out if he declined to waive, the club should simply say that they were unsuccessful in trading him.

This is all very important because other players around the league, and free agents, watch this kind of stuff. If a club treats players poorly, no one is going to want to play there. Trust me, people are afraid of Steve Yzerman because of all the drama going on with him and his club. Drouin is not playing, Stamkos is not re-signing... if I were a UFA the last place I'd want to go is Tampa Bay. Same thing goes with Los Angeles and how they treated Mike Richards. If I were a UFA, I'd avoid these places.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Hamhuis' decision should be respected. The ideal scenario is to rent him for 3 months, but still re-sign him moving forward. He's one of the few Canucks that should retire here.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
A part of me hopes he doesn't waive his NTC because it'll be one less opportunity for Benning to continue to **** up this franchise.

J Canuck

Mar 19, 2013
the couch
Disappointed but not mad and hope we re-sign him for next year whether he stays or goes. I hope he decides a few months away is okay with him and his family though, it's 4 months, tops.

thedean

Jan 20, 2015
Disapointed, not mad. I'd love to bring him back in the summer but we really need the asset he would garner (maybe I should see what Benning trades for him before declaring that)

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Nope not mad.

I do get upset when guys with NTCs demand a trade and then limit the list. No problem with not wanting to be moved and exercising the right not to be moved.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
If he loves the canucks so much hed understand the need to be traded for a couple a months cause we would get a good return that would help the canucks he loves so much so i think would be stupid from his pov if he says no to been traded and YES i would be mad at him

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I'm pretty sure he's going to take the Vermette route listening to the interview. so thats really positive for us, a top 4 guy that will be willing to mentor the Huttons and Juolevis of our future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad