Will the Winnipeg Jets make the Playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thejaf7

Mar 21, 2010
Will the Jets make the Playoffs next year? I see a lot of people sleeping on this team and writing them off. They were very successful against the Central last year even with all the man games lost due to injury and sub par goaltending.

A lot of addition by subtraction with the roster and potential need met with a vet goalie. If the team can actually stay healthy, with the continued growth of the new core of Schiefele, Trouba, Laine, Ehlers, Morrissey and hopefully emergence of Connor, is this team ready to take that step or 1 or 2 years out?

Last edited:

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Nope.

Dallas Chicago St. Louis Minnesota Nashville

Edmonton Calgary Anaheim

Who they passing?

bobbydigital

Aug 18, 2016
Chicago
The Jets are a great team on paper, with Scheifele, Ehlers, Laine, Wheeler, Byfuglien, and Trouba. They should be a playoff team will all that talent. But have had lackluster seasons the past two years. I think they will be a wild card team next year. The year after I believe they have a shot to finish first in the division, as long as Laine continues to progress. They also need to stop taking so many penalties. There is a lot to like about this Jets team, with all that talent this team has the potential to become a force to reckon with in the West.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
you can list their top end talent, they have them and they are good...but all good teams have their top end talent as well...we will see, gotta have depth, they gotta play well as a whole team top to bottom, forwards to D to goalie

Mach12

Feb 1, 2010
Nope.

Edmonton Calgary Anaheim

Who they passing?

I don't think any of these are locks to be ahead of the Jets except for Edmonton and Calgary

Nashville players were good in the playoffs last year but didn't dominate the regular season. Solid core and depth. Losing Neal hurts, though. They need the prospects to step up. Ahead of the Jets but no reason the Jets can't move ahead with a strong season.

Minnesota, I feel, overachieved last year. Solid roster, I think they will make the playoffs but again, no reason they can't be displaced by the Jets.

St. Louis had a solid off-season but the team is not necessarily a juggernaut these days. Good team but again the Jets match up on paper at least.

Dallas made some solid moves. Will they work out? Can Hanzal stay healthy? Can Bishop? Was Methot carried by his partner to an extent? It can all work out. Most likely, some of it will.

Anaheim has a good defensive core and goalie, but I question their forward depth and whether Kesler, Perry, and Getzlaf will fall off. There's signs for it, though Getzlaf hit another gear at the end of season. Also, usually Randy Carlyle teams do well in his first season.

Will all this go wrong for these other teams to get the Jets in? No, but all it takes is one team. And none of these teams are bulletproof. Neither are the Jets but it just means a spot is up for grabs.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Nope.

Edmonton Calgary Anaheim

Who they passing?

Trick question. They don't have to pass Dallas. They got 8 more points than Dallas last year.

Also, Chicago falls off a cliff this year. Nevermind losing Panarin, it will be the loss of Hossa and Hjalmarsson that will really sink them. Maybe Seabrook can reverse the rapid onset regression?

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Is that their expectations for the coming year? Playoffs or people in management lose their jobs?

Talent is there.

There are expectations but I think Chevy is likely safe for now.
Maurice is on the hot seat to an extent.
Both of them are in the last year if their contracts.
If the Jets don't do well in their first 20 or so games Paul could be on the way out.
The assistants (essentially the same since day 1 also need to be cleared out).

Loyalty is a BIG DEAL to True North.
Many feel that Paul Maurice was given extra leeway because he was asked to develop young players instead of just trying to win.

A few moves they've made this summer seems to indicate they are finally ready to move into the competing phase with this team.
True North pets Stuart, Pavs and Thor gone.
Stuart bought out (something many swore the Jets would never do)
Trade with the Knights to keep roster in tact.
July 1st Free Agent spending to improve goaltending and D men depth.

So while many thought they already had the pieces to make the playoffs last year they didn't make the simple moves to give themselves the best shot.

Paul Maurice coached the Jets in a very defensive system in 2014-15.
The last two seasons has been youth movement and the growth of the offense. If Maurice can add back in anything close to the defensive structure they had with the current scoring they should be a really tough team to play.

League average goaltending and it would be very hard for the Jets to not make top 8 in the West. But they gotta do it all season and have to have several longish winning streaks and fewer long losing streaks.

Basic recipe that all teams need.

I thought we should make the playoffs last year.
I think they have a much better chance this year.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Their Achilles had always been their goaltending. Remains to be seen if they have addressed that. If they can even get league average goaltending I see them getting in, and that's a team I would not want to face in a 7 game series.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Nope.

Edmonton Calgary Anaheim

Who they passing?

They went 4-1 against Dallas
4-1 against Chicago.
5-0 against St. Louis.
1-4 against Minny
and 2-2 against Nashville.

Now they just need to win more games against the Pacific.

Lost all 3 games to San Jose and Edmonton. Lost 2 of 3 to LA, Anaheim and Calgary as well.

They improve against the Pacific and keep playing well against the Central I think they make the playoffs.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I hope so, but they have to show me something before I can commit to this.

thejaf7

Mar 21, 2010
Jets were 4-1-0 against Chicago, 5-0-0 against St Louis, 2-1-1 against Nashville, 4-1-0 against Dallas, 3-1-1 against Colorado and 1-4-0 against Minnesota last season. They did very well in the Central with a very injured team and I can see it very much up for grabs for them next season.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Lol at Chevy still having a job.

As usual, they won't make the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad