Will the Blues get a top 10 pick at next years draft?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Where will we end up next year?

• Bottom 10

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Just miss the playoffs

Votes: 27 57.4%
  • Make the playoffs

Votes: 6 12.8%

• Total voters

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I think we are a prime candidate for a top 10 pick next season. Last year our OT record, our record in 1 goal games, and our goaltending were all tops in the league. We also had very few injuries. Our old guys are a year older, and our young guys (Dean/Neighbors/Bolduc/Dvo/Kessel) shouldn't be expected to take a Thomas-esque leap forward at this point in their development.

I also believe that many teams in our division got better, or at least didn't get worse. Winnipeg, Colorado, and Dallas all still look very strong. Nashville spent a ton of money, I'm not really sure if it was wisely, but for at least the next year they look very improved and they were already ahead of us. Utah and Seattle should be much improved next year as well (Although with Seattle I think they get 1, maybe two years before those UFA deals look terrible).

The only real changes we've made (so far) this off-season is unloading Hayes and hiring Julien. I think Julien is a good coach, but I don't know if it's fair to expect a Monty-esque result where all of a sudden our entire roster puts up career years. If we trade Buch (Which we 100% should) without making any other move, we should clearly expect a top 10 pick barring a miracle.

LogosBlue

May 16, 2018
We will be a bottom 10 team next year. Lot's of teams around us are getting better and maturing. Specifically, teams in the central like Utah / Chicago are passing us up this year as their young players and new blood help them pack on wins. Only Minny will contend with us for worst in the Central. Your still going to have a battle of the worst with San Jose, Calgary and Anaheim but.... With any injury luck, I see us finishing 28th - 30th. It's going to be an ugly year im afraid.

Hate to be the barer of bad news but. As someone joked earlier, Unless Binner wins the Vezina next year, we are headed for a top five pick and i just don't think he can compensate for what that is going to look like.

So save the cap space and ride the year out trying to manage more draft capital for 2025. We are going to need it.

On a bright note, this will set Steen up with some nice young draft capital to work with as he gets going.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
It all depends on injuries. If any of Parayko, Thomas, Buch, Kyrou, or Binner have a long term injury we will be falling down the standings fairly quickly.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
I feel like Binnington will never get the support of the hockey writers to win any major award.
I feel like that could definitely be a thing but doesn’t drama create interest? And if it’s close enough, a writer could go that route to generate more fire and conversation.

Bernie Federko

Jun 29, 2018
I'll reserve judgment until opening day, but for sure teams below us last year look much improved. Bottom 5 finish and last in the Central is not out of the question.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I think the goal would be to get Pinto to add to the Thomas/Kyrou core at forward. So I would be looking to move futures, not sure what Ottawa would realistically be looking to do as it seems he didn't actually request a trade but they don't currently have enough cap space to get him signed so it wouldn't be surprising if he was frustrated. Ottawa is just a team that is hard to pinpoint what exactly they are trying to do, they should be looking to make that next step with the acquisition of Ullmark so futures might not be interesting to them.
They have cap issues, so Kyrou would be a tough add for them. Not to mention I don’t want to deal him for a forward. They may have interest in Dean, who played jr hockey in ottawa area and couid conceivably jump into lineup now at low $ for them. Would likely need to add, but he could be good start to package.
I'd much prefer to trade futures, but I think it is very unlikely that Ottawa has any interest in futures for Pinto. Pinto's camp is clearly trying to generate interest around the league to get him out of Ottawa, but I don't think anyone is going to send him the type of offer sheet required to get Ottawa not to find a way to match. And without arbitration rights, he doesn't have much leverage to force the Sens not to bridge him and push a trade down the road.

I think an annoyed Pinto trying to play his way off the team on a modest bridge deal next season is worth more to the Sens than any prospects we have besides the ones we obviously won't part with. So that kind of leaves Kyrou as the only trade that makes any kind of real sense for them. Like I said, I think their acquisitions yesterday closed the door on the possibility, but it is the only 'hockey trade' that would make sense to me.

I now see buzz about the Blues getting Joseph and a pick from Ottawa to take Joseph, which should end the discussion completely.

Mar 6, 2012
Unless there are massive roster changes, I think their performance two years ago should be what we expect, with last year being a bit of an anomaly or over performance.

If they continue on their current trajectory with the current middling level of commitment to fielding a competitive team... we can expect at least 3-4 years of picks in the 8-12 kinda window... and coming out the other side with some decent young players but no true difference makers or guys you can really build a team or identity around.

(This is not me advocating for building a better team now, I am actually hoping they go toward a tank and total rebuild... I think that will make them more competitive faster than whatever they are doing now)

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I think next year we're going to win #1 overall and we're all gonna be excited until we realize that 2025 doesn't have a generational talent like 2026 will and then we're all gonna be depressed when Chicago wins the lottery in 2026 and drafts bedards cousin.

Drubilly

Sep 23, 2018
Collinsville
I think next year we're going to win #1 overall and we're all gonna be excited until we realize that 2025 doesn't have a generational talent like 2026 will and then we're all gonna be depressed when Chicago wins the lottery in 2026 and drafts bedards cousin.
Nope. The hockey gods will bestow upon the Blues the cousin of The Second Coming.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
James Hagens looks like a friggen stud at #1OA in ‘25. I don’t think anybody would be disappointed if he got drafted by the Blues.

Next years top-10 looks very good:

Reactions: Blueston

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
James Hagens looks like a friggen stud at #1OA in ‘25. I don’t think anybody would be disappointed if he got drafted by the Blues.

I mean, they were neck and neck in points at u18, but McKenna won the gold and is a year younger at 16. . McKenna had 5 more points at the tourney than Celbrini did at 17. It's hard to tell at this point, but McKenna may be the better long term option. I don't say no to Hagens, but if I could guarantee a 1st OA either year, I may defer to 2026 based on the admittedly little I have seen.

Reactions: Drubilly

Blueswin

Jun 13, 2021
The Blues have had great goaltending & with the moves today may have become a better defensive team. I picked them to make the plays offs. Good goalies can cover for a lot of mistakes. Teams like Jersey sunk with a poor goalie.

Reactions: stlwahoo

BluesAL

Jun 10, 2012
STL
I think we make the cut. Doug is doing enough to make the ‘24-25 team better and Binnington pushes us over the line.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Today's moves are good reminder that there remain moves to be made and it is still way too early to know what how things will shake out. Nonetheless, I think we have made substantive improvements' from last year's team and have young guys who can take key steps to help. So I do think playoffs are a possibility, but we had exceptional goaltending last year and a crazy record in 1-goal games. So while I do think we should be better team next year, perhaps significantly in many respects, playoffs are still an optimistic projection unless we add another quality top 4D,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad