Will Stastny Stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Keeping Stastny is always a possibility until he signs somewhere else - but it will have to involve some deep pain.
I'm scratching my head on what it would take. Sure you could do a 1 year deal but anything more I just don't see how you swing it with the amount of young stars we need to sign.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Yup, its a what have you done for me lately kind of world.

For the right price I wouldn't mind keeping him, but we will have to move some other good pieces to make it work. If he stays, both Myers and Perrault have to be moved this summer imo.

Edit: Also if these rumors are true and he is already building then there most certainly is a deal in place, if so why hasn't it been announced yet. Or why hasn't and insider picked up on it yet.
There is an argument for moving both of these guys regardless of whether Stastny re-signs with us or not.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
There is an argument for moving both of these guys regardless of whether Stastny re-signs with us or not.

There is and it is called a cap. Go try fitting both in from a salary perspective with Stastny making $5 ish million. The only way to keep one is if Chevy can work a miracle and move Mason without taking money back (good luck).

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Mason to Buffalo for their 2nd this year would work but I'd rather keep Mason.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Maybe for their 2nd 7th round pick. A goalie making $4.1 mil who couldn't look at a puck without getting injured. No value.
Not everyone is going to assume Mason is going to have another injury plagued season. He has had 7 NHL seasons with 50 or more games played. His $4.1 M price tag is a bit high but he is not without value. He very well could have a bounce back season and someone we very well might wish we still had if Helly ever goes down for a prolonged period of time.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
It's why I started this thread. I really feel that as guys get older and have kids that this is an ideal place to play, Wheeler said so himself earlier this year, even mentioned safety at school and peace of mind for US players with young kids. If his family really liked it and it's good for his kids then I can see him staying. Not sure how old his kids are?
I've felt all along he'd stay but can Chevy swing it, my guess is yes he can but I feel that's the only barrier.

Nov 24, 2006
I’d be ecstatic if he stayed. Number 1, he fit like a glove here. Number 2, it helps breaks the myth that this place is not where a coveted FA goes. Number 3, he really believes this team has what it takes. Either way, it sends a great message to the city and the rest of the team.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I’d be ecstatic if he stayed. Number 1, he fit like a glove here. Number 2, it helps breaks the myth that this place is not where a coveted FA goes. Number 3, he really believes this team has what it takes. Either way, it sends a great message to the city and the rest of the team.

It depends on cost and term for me. If he is willing to sign a short term deal at a solid cap hit then I am in, other wise I can't see how we do it.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The only way would be with some player movement. This year is relatively manageable but things will get very dicey the year after.
Agree. They'd need to move both Myers and Perreault regardless before 2019/20. I think they'd need to move Perreault this season if they plan to sign Stastny. Stastny really fills the Jets biggest need over the next couple of seasons.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Have you turned your back on millions?
2x5.4 = 10.8
5x6 = 30
difference of 19.2 million.

Does Matt Cane have any credibility?

That’s a perverted way of calculating it. It’s 5.4 vs 6 per year. The difference is negligible.

And to answer your question, definitely yes if we pretend I’d stayed the rest of my life at one of the places, and pretend I didn’t earn anything at all after quitting in the other place.
Also where is 5 years coming from? Why not 10? Tbh Stastny taking a salary of 5.4 vs 6 at a place he enjoys to be at, even with a shorter term, is not a bum deal at all and I have downgraded my salary relatively far more than that. I think everyone has.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That’s a perverted way of calculating it. It’s 5.4 vs 6 per year. The difference is negligible.

And to answer your question, definitely yes if we pretend I’d stayed the rest of my life at one of the places, and pretend I didn’t earn anything at all after quitting in the other place.
Also where is 5 years coming from? Why not 10? Tbh Stastny taking a salary of 5.4 vs 6 at a place he enjoys to be at, even with a shorter term, is not a bum deal at all and I have downgraded my salary relatively far more than that. I think everyone has.

We are talking about a player looking at his last payday. We don't know, or care what he does after hockey.

It isn't perverted at all. In fact I would say it is your way of looking at it that is perverted. He is not looking at another 20-30 years of earning time. If he signs for 2x5.4 now he will have a lot less bargaining power in 2 years. He might sign for 2 more years at 3 mil followed by 1 year at 2. He might not get another contract at all after the first 2 year deal.

I believe that players at his age look at every contract as though it is the last one. They don't look so much at term and AAV as they do at the total value of the contract. Stastny is going to want something like 30 million and it wont matter much to him whether he gets that in 2 years or in 8.

Nov 24, 2006
We are talking about a player looking at his last payday. We don't know, or care what he does after hockey.

It isn't perverted at all. In fact I would say it is your way of looking at it that is perverted. He is not looking at another 20-30 years of earning time. If he signs for 2x5.4 now he will have a lot less bargaining power in 2 years. He might sign for 2 more years at 3 mil followed by 1 year at 2. He might not get another contract at all after the first 2 year deal.

I believe that players at his age look at every contract as though it is the last one. They don't look so much at term and AAV as they do at the total value of the contract. Stastny is going to want something like 30 million and it wont matter much to him whether he gets that in 2 years or in 8.

We are also talking about a player who's made $60+ million dollars and never won a championship. Much of his decision making depends on how he views the Jets as a legitimate Stanley Cup contender, and if he cares more about that or adding to the giant pile of money he already has.

None of us really knows what he's thinking right now, but if he's actually building a house in WPG like someone said, he's definitely here next year.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
As well as he fit this season, I really don't want him with us for more than 2 more years. The risk/reward scale seems pretty high due to his age and our cap situation.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We are also talking about a player who's made $60+ million dollars and never won a championship. Much of his decision making depends on how he views the Jets as a legitimate Stanley Cup contender, and if he cares more about that or adding to the giant pile of money he already has.

None of us really knows what he's thinking right now, but if he's actually building a house in WPG like someone said, he's definitely here next year.

He may well be here next year - but I think people expecting him to leave many millions on the table to stay here is naive. If he stays it will be because Chevy has found a way to pay what it costs to keep him.

He doesn't have a giant pile of 60+ million dollars hidden under his bed. He has paid out a very large part of that to agents, financial advisors, lawyers, personal trainers, etc and taxes right off the top. He should still have a very nice net worth such that he never need work another day in his life but that doesn't mean he is willing to turn his back on millions more.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He may well be here next year - but I think people expecting him to leave many millions on the table to stay here is naive. If he stays it will be because Chevy has found a way to pay what it costs to keep him.

He doesn't have a giant pile of 60+ million dollars hidden under his bed. He has paid out a very large part of that to agents, financial advisors, lawyers, personal trainers, etc and taxes right off the top. He should still have a very nice net worth such that he never need work another day in his life but that doesn't mean he is willing to turn his back on millions more.

Your assessment is likely correct but we have seen players accept less term to stay in an environment they like. Thornton in San Jose is a good example, has signed three year deals at slightly less than market value for a while now.

Campbell signing a 1 year deal at minimum dollars with the Hawks to win one last championship. Year prior he had 31 points in 82 games and was a plus 31 and anchored Florida to the playoffs. He easily could have found more cash from someone else if he wanted.

Not everyone is always looking to maximize income all the time.

Reactions: Joe Strummer

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Your assessment is likely correct but we have seen players accept less term to stay in an environment they like. Thornton in San Jose is a good example, has signed three year deals at slightly less than market value for a while now.

Campbell signing a 1 year deal at minimum dollars with the Hawks to win one last championship. Year prior he had 31 points in 82 games and was a plus 31 and anchored Florida to the playoffs. He easily could have found more cash from someone else if he wanted.

Not everyone is always looking to maximize income all the time.

I don't see where Thornton has left as much as a nickel on the table. He signed for 1x8 mil - at the age of 38. His previous contract totaled 20mil+ starting when he was 35.

Campbell was ready for retirement and signed for 1 last shot at the age of 37. He did sign a little cheaply, considering his good previous season - but he was 37.

There is a big difference between not always looking to maximize income all the time and taking a huge underpayment. Pretty sure that if Jets can't manage to pay him there will be another contending team that can.

Maybe Chevy overpays for 1 year to get him to accept the short term. IDK if that would do it for Stastny or not. It might be a risk he is willing to take. There are other possibilities.

Reactions: Joe Strummer

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

I know a shitton of people who have opted for a salary like 4k euro per month instead of 6-8k just to work on things they enjoy more. In fact it’s more of a rule than an exception. And these aren’t wealthy people, like Stastny. The current suggestion would put him at 90% of the predicted AAV. Even if the term would be shorter it is noise.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I know a ****ton of people who have opted for a salary like 4k euro per month instead of 6-8k just to work on things they enjoy more. In fact it’s more of a rule than an exception. And these aren’t wealthy people, like Stastny. The current suggestion would put him at 90% of the predicted AAV. Even if the term would be shorter it is noise.

A ****ton? Really? I'm skeptical, but OK.

Term at the end of a player's career is not noise. Sorry. Nonsense.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not everyone is going to assume Mason is going to have another injury plagued season. He has had 7 NHL seasons with 50 or more games played. His $4.1 M price tag is a bit high but he is not without value. He very well could have a bounce back season and someone we very well might wish we still had if Helly ever goes down for a prolonged period of time.

I'm hoping for a bounce back, but I don't believe there is 1 GM in the league who would be willing to take him at 4.1 mil after last season.

We are somewhat aware of some encouragement in the ups and downs he had last year. An outsider will see 13 games, .906 sv%, injuries, 4.1 mil. Pretty sure Chevy would not offer him 1x4.1 if he was a UFA right now coming off that season. In fact, I think he would probably have to find an AHL gig or go to Europe and try to play his way back to the NHL. Maybe someone would take a chance offering him 1x1 to see if he could recover. That wouldn't likely be a contender spending close to the cap.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I'm hoping for a bounce back, but I don't believe there is 1 GM in the league who would be willing to take him at 4.1 mil after last season.

We are somewhat aware of some encouragement in the ups and downs he had last year. An outsider will see 13 games, .906 sv%, injuries, 4.1 mil. Pretty sure Chevy would not offer him 1x4.1 if he was a UFA right now coming off that season. In fact, I think he would probably have to find an AHL gig or go to Europe and try to play his way back to the NHL. Maybe someone would take a chance offering him 1x1 to see if he could recover. That wouldn't likely be a contender spending close to the cap.

I agree Mason's market value today isn't $4.1 mil, but I think you're being overly negative when you say he'd have to find an AHL gig. He had documented injury problems last year, but other than the concussion it's nothing that should give much pause (and even concussions can be okay if treated conservatively, which Mason's was). He still has a track record as an NHL starter, and a lot of teams could do much worse than to have Mason as a backup.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree Mason's market value today isn't $4.1 mil, but I think you're being overly negative when you say he'd have to find an AHL gig. He had documented injury problems last year, but other than the concussion it's nothing that should give much pause (and even concussions can be okay if treated conservatively, which Mason's was). He still has a track record as an NHL starter, and a lot of teams could do much worse than to have Mason as a backup.

Its not just the concussions. Its the combination of concussions (plural) + poor performance + high price-tag. It is fortunate for him that he is under contract next year and will have an opportunity to play himself back into the conversation as an NHL goalie.

Even if it is correct that "a lot of teams could do much worse than to have Mason as a backup" it would be at a salary of 1.0-1.4 mil. That's what backup goalies make.

If he plays well for the Jets next year he will have value when he goes back into the UFA market next off-season. In the trade market right now? I don't think he has any value at all. I don't think we could get a 7th for him if we retained the max 50%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad