Speculation: Will stamkos sign with the lightning?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will stamkos sign in Tampa ?

• Yes

Votes: 116 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 97 45.5%

• Total voters

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Likely not, but he won’t be making 3mill if he were to resign. My guess is that Tampa would offer anywhere from 6.5-7.5mil with the salary cap going up, on a short term (2yrs). I think Stamkos would gladly take this as he has expressed wanting to stay in Tampa. He’s still their captain, a big part of their powerplay and has chemistry with Kucherov and Point.

If he’s willing to take a pay cut, Tampa can look to add to their roster in the next 2 years. I don’t think Tampa would look to keep him after that unless they return to the conference finals at the BARE minimum.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
I think he stays. Either they find LTIR relief, trade Cernak or both. Cirelli, Sheary and Jeannot are possibilities too. It wouldn't shock me if there is something already agreed upon, pending other moves.

Wouldn't bet on it though, just my hope.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
He will resign or sign in Detroit for 3 years@ 6ish
I’m really skeptical that he’ll leave Tampa for less or at least much less total money than what he’d get for staying. You’d think it has to be an obviously better deal to get him to leave.

I do think he leaves, though, just to whoever gives him a raise(or at least a slight, slight haircut).

Reactions: Want My Dach x 77

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I’m really skeptical that he’ll leave Tampa for less or at least much less total money than what he’d get for staying. You’d think it has to be an obviously better deal to get him to leave.

I do think he leaves, though, just to whoever gives him a raise(or at least a slight, slight haircut).
Fair

I'd just assume if he left it's cause Tampa offered less term or less money than 6m a season which is about what he'd get on the open market

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I think he would get a lot more than $6 million on the open market...assuming he is open to playing for a number of different teams. Even if he only wants a true contender, there would probably be enough teams bidding to up the offers above $6 million/year.

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
If I were to guess, and this is just purely a guess, I think on or around July 1st Tampa announces longish term team friendly deals for both Stamkos and Hedman ensuring both retire as Bolts.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I'm thinking he takes 3 x $5-6M and stays in Tampa. He has been there for his whole career and clearly likes to be there.

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
i feel he will, he's set for life, he's got his cups, he's been there his whole career, i can't imagine it's too bad living in Tampa :). Don't see him leaving, might get a little less than he could on the open market? But if you've made almost 100 million in career earnings, not including endorsements and other ventures, what would an extra 5 or 10 million really mean to him? His home is there, he won there (twice), and I'm sure he has a lot of close friends on the team. Tampa shouldn't low ball him, because if you truly disrespect him with the offer, that would be the only thing that I could see motivating him to actually leave. The guy is a future HOFer an still a really good and productive player. He's a great fit there, he belongs there.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad