Will Patrick Marleau break Gordie Howe's record?

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
oh sure there are a lot of variables

shorter seasons for howe, whole half seasons off for marleau, howe never having to play more than one time zone away, marleau flying in private jets, and an open question of whether old time hockey was tougher on the body than in the 21st century.

i was just pointing out that the lockouts/covid argument for marleau has to also take into account the sub-82 game season length for howe.
I don't think there's any way of looking at it where Marleau comes out on top of Howe. He was a prodigy that could still hack it in his 50's. This is simply an nhl record that Howe would have easily if he didn't miss years/play in another league. That said, Marleau deserves credit for (likely) becoming the ONLY other player to play as many nhl games. I'm sure if Gordie was alive he'd handle the situation with class and would be the 1st person to congratulate Patty.

It's too bad there are so many ingrates on here that can't simply enjoy something out of the ordinary without being whiny bitches.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Yeah he probably will. I think TOR fans generally just don't like him because they overpaid him. A 40 year old, surprisingly speedy Marleau potted 11G last year in 68GP. Top 6 quality production? No. But a serviceable 4th liner? Absolutely.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I said he was awful with the Penguins, which the results clearly painted him to be. If you're expecting me to defend Sullivan's line-up decisions in the bubble...I mean...they were hideously awful and directly led to the Penguins losing the a Canadiens team that had no business being there. Marleau sticking in the line-up out of nothing but reputation when he was clearly a liability was a massive problem, one that the Habs took advantage of. The results are there for all to see.

He's a Sharks legend and the Sharks are bad, if they want to give him contracts when he still wants to play that's up to them...but it shouldn't be outrageous to say that a 41 year-old with more than 1,900 combined regular season and playoff games has reached the end of his effectiveness. Let's not pretend JR is known for his sane and logical transactions that never backfire as immensely as they do immediately or that Toronto had to pay Carolina to buy out his previous contract.

None of this takes away from an amazing career. Anybody withholding a Hall of Fame vote because he ran out of gas in his 40s is a fool.

Those are all fair points IMO.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Yeah, it's not like he moved across the country during a pandemic or anything for a shot at it.

How do you write such bullshit then feel compelled to hit 'reply'? I would have deleted that nonsense and never told a soul.

Pity contracts. What a croc of shit.

The despicable lengths some people go to make themselves feel good and the self-righteousness is an embarrassment to hockey fans. It really makes me glad I don't know these people in a personal capacity.

The guy loves hockey and plays it at a level these dimwits couldn't meet in their dreams. There really are some horrible people on this earth.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I think you should stop flaming
Not even close. Feel free to report my post as flaming and we'll let the judges decide.

I sincerely apologize if you think I was "flaming"

I try to be super-respectful. If you are gonna throw shade at Howe...bring some stats/facts/anything but your opinion. I grew in Detroit. I've been to the Joe. You are talking about #2 after Gretzky. And Gretzky will tell you that Howe is number 1. But I digress, I rarely flame...just back up what you are saying.

Don't just say it then walk away. What did you expect?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sentinel

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
Wonderful. If he gets it, he probably ends up in the hall, which would be a travesty.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Howe would for sure say "GO for it!"

I think you're right about that. By all accounts, Howe was proud of Gretzky's accomplishments, and I although I don't know if he was necessarily happy that Gretzky broke his records (career goals, career points, number of Hart trophies, number of Art Ross trophies, etc), he was magnanimous and generally a good sport about it.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
F no. Never again. He was useless his second year and cost us a 1st to dump him last outing.

He refused to play and had to be bought out. Only willing to have played with SJ. F him. I honestly can’t say I’ve ever downright hated a player before. I blame the leafs for not telling him, don’t report don’t get paid. If you report you’ll likely get benched. Give us a trade list to work with or hold up your end of the contract you signed
What? When did he refuse to play?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Before getting traded

Utilizing your negotiated NMC is not refusing to play. He wanted to finish his contract in Toronto. They made the decision to go another direction. Get over it. You act like he's Mats Sundin refusing to waive at all.

He's going to break this record in San Jose and it doesn't matter what salty Leafs or Pens fans or Howe fans have to say about it.

Reactions: Crabapple

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Utilizing your negotiated NMC is not refusing to play. He wanted to finish his contract in Toronto. They made the decision to go another direction. Get over it. You act like he's Mats Sundin refusing to waive at all.

He's going to break this record in San Jose and it doesn't matter what salty Leafs or Pens fans or Howe fans have to say about it.

No he requested a trade only to SJ. He wouldn’t waive anywhere else unless it was to get bought out so he can sign with SJ.

Good for him. All the power to him. He’s not signed yet so we’ll see. He also had demands of never getting benched to not destroy his iron man streak.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Are you serious?

Actually I agree with him but with the caveat that we also need to bump Lemieux+Orr down with him, in my opinion there is a clear #1 and 3 trailing quite far behind(still closer to him than the pack is to them mind you).

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
No he requested a trade only to SJ. He wouldn’t waive anywhere else unless it was to get bought out so he can sign with SJ.

Yeah as in he used his NMC that they negotiated into the contract to go somewhere he wanted for his own reasons. That was the price Toronto knowingly paid to get him there. That was well within his rights.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Yeah as in he used his NMC that they negotiated into the contract to go somewhere he wanted for his own reasons. That was the price Toronto knowingly paid to get him there. That was well within his rights.

If Toronto went to him that’s one thing. If you want to leave, don’t give only 1 team. Dubas was still green and didn’t know that he had to strong arm him into a mutual contract termination or a longer list

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If Toronto went to him that’s one thing. If you want to leave, don’t give only 1 team. Dubas was still green and didn’t know that he had to strong arm him into a mutual contract termination or a longer list

Toronto went to him and said they wanted to move on from him. There was no way they were getting a contract termination out of him. They were given the options to do so and eventually did. He didn't refuse to play like you put it.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Toronto went to him and said they wanted to move on from him. There was no way they were getting a contract termination out of him. They were given the options to do so and eventually did. He didn't refuse to play like you put it.
Marleau actually did the leafs a solid by saying he'd waive.

Could've easily said no and stayed in toronto

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto

Patrick Marleau wants to go home

He moved away. Told leafs he wants to go back. Look yourself in google if you want. He said he won’t come back to Toronto. So they’d be stuck with that albatross of a contract since it’s 35+

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad