Will Marner have a career year in 24/25?

Will Marner have a career year in 24/25?

• Yes

Votes: 34 32.1%
  • No

Votes: 60 56.6%
  • Not sure

Votes: 12 11.3%

• Total voters

lawrence

May 19, 2012
why not. for all his flaws, hes an extremely talented player. If he gets to play with Matthews very good chance he has a career year.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
With Marner its about the playoffs, he will no doubt rack up the points in the regular season.

Another playoff ghost act will not go down well.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
The psychologists in this thread are amazing.

I had no idea this many people on hfboards were professionals who have had extensive personal contact with Marner allowing them to make all these definitive comments on his motivations and personal failings.
You think you need to be a psychologist to predict a player is gonna be motivated to play well in a contract year? Or to say that he struggles to perform under pressure when over his career he’s 1.2 ppg in games 1-4 but 0.4 ppg in games 5-7?

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Nothing the Leafs overpaid stars do better than playing for themselves. He puts up a career year. Leafs fans do a 180 from all their “bitchy Mitchy” comments. Credit goes to “finally getting a real coach”. Marner lands 12.5m x 8 contract. Leafs fans go around yelling what a sweetheart deal it is. Leafs get bounced first round and blame another player on their way out for all their problems.

why not. for all his flaws, hes an extremely talented player. If he gets to play with Matthews very good chance he has a career year.
Matthews gets to play with Marner. Matthews doesn’t make anyone better .

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Nothing the Leafs overpaid stars do better than playing for themselves. He puts up a career year. Leafs fans do a 180 from all their “bitchy Mitchy” comments. Credit goes to “finally getting a real coach”. Marner lands 12.5m x 8 contract. Leafs fans go around yelling what a sweetheart deal it is. Leafs get bounced first round and blame another player on their way out for all their problems.

Matthews gets to play with Marner. Matthews doesn’t make anyone better .
do you actually believe the crap your spewing? majority of the fans thought he was highly over paid.

Leafs fans actually loved Marner throughout his entire ELC. it was when he signed that massive contract getting vastly over paid is when things started to change. actually it happened when he was holding out in the summer too for the most part expecting Matthews money

we were actually just happy to be done with Babcock

when you make that much money and dont preform in the playoffs, it comes with a reaction and he's done it far too often to justify his contract.

he's paid to be a leader and he's hardly been that.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
do you actually believe the crap your spewing? majority of the fans thought he was highly over paid.

Leafs fans actually loved Marner throughout his entire ELC. it was when he signed that massive contract getting vastly over paid is when things started to change. actually it happened when he was holding out in the summer too for the most part expecting Matthews money

we were actually just happy to be done with Babcock

when you make that much money and dont preform in the playoffs, it comes with a reaction and he's done it far too often to justify his contract.

he's paid to be a leader and he's hardly been that.
“im happy with the Marner contract. its under 11M. slightly but still it is. kids a beast and even though I 100% believe his numbers were inflated with JT. he earned the contract and we are going to be treated every year of those 6years with him and JT together.” - said Arthur Morgan.

You know it’s not hard to go back to that thread? Just as I said the 180 Leafs fans are going to do while they pretend they always loved him will be real. Thank you for stepping up and showing yourself as my example.

“when you make that much money and dont preform in the playoffs, it comes with a reaction and he's done it far too often to justify his contract.”

False. Most Leafs fans don’t seem to have much of a problem paying Matthews and Nylander their albatrosses and they are worse than Marner in the playoffs.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
It would be negligent to pay Marner for anything he does before June
The Nylander contract shows that same negligence. The best predictor of the future is the past. Marner is going to have his best year going for that contract. I will be shocked if the Leafs don't have him signed before the end of February.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
The Nylander contract shows that same negligence. The best predictor of the future is the past. Marner is going to have his best year going for that contract. I will be shocked if the Leafs don't have him signed before the end of February.

No we already trust Nylander in the playoffs. Past 5/6 years he's been our best player hands down

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
“im happy with the Marner contract. its under 11M. slightly but still it is. kids a beast and even though I 100% believe his numbers were inflated with JT. he earned the contract and we are going to be treated every year of those 6years with him and JT together.” - said Arthur Morgan.

You know it’s not hard to go back to that thread? Just as I said the 180 Leafs fans are going to do while they pretend they always loved him will be real. Thank you for stepping up and showing yourself as my example.

“when you make that much money and dont preform in the playoffs, it comes with a reaction and he's done it far too often to justify his contract.”

False. Most Leafs fans don’t seem to have much of a problem paying Matthews and Nylander their albatrosses and they are worse than Marner in the playoffs.
well yeah as a fan u try to justify it but alot of people were upset with it. can't always lose ur shit.
Im sure if u kept looking around the same time I had a negative comments too. likely somewhere in Matthews one about how he got Toews and Kane money without winning.

things changed alot back then, like how we were told this was going to be the new cost for young up and coming stars. we overpaid and everyone else got what they should have.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
well yeah as a fan u try to justify it but alot of people were upset with it. can't always lose ur shit.
Im sure if u kept looking around the same time I had a negative comments too. likely somewhere in Matthews one about how he got Toews and Kane money without winning.

things changed alot back then, like how we were told this was going to be the new cost for young up and coming stars. we overpaid and everyone else got what they should have.
Good that we can now agree it wasn’t me who was spewing the crap.

yes. That’s what I’m saying. A large portions of Leafs fans eat up the TMLSE spin every time. And when the Leafs media tell the fans to like Marner again the 180 will happen again. All I’m saying is Leaf’s fans will be happy at the end of the day.

Again, good example. Not many outside Leafs nation believed in the whole new way of paying young players. I bet you were told that by dozens of posters. You were told Dubas got taken to the wood shed by Tavares, Marner, Nylander x 2, and Matthews x2. it wasn’t just the overpay it was also the under term. TMLSE sends their media out to put the good word out in exchange for their salaries and access to the team and the fans nod along like they are hypnotized agreeing with everything.

To be fair more Leaf’s fans seem to be coming around more and more to what fans outside the market have been saying for years. The big contracts are too big. The roster is poorly balanced. There is something wrong with these big contracts when the playoffs come around. But let’s not pretend it’s always been this way. But as you say you can’t lose your shit so most of those fan will fall back in line with a great 30-40 games from Marner next year. The “Insiders” Will do their job and convince them 12m+ long term is a sweetheart deal, just like they convinced them those big contracts weren’t bad, it was just the new way of doing things. You have to admit at this point it must feel silly believing that one.

At the end of the day we will see how things go. But I’ve seen this story play out in Leafs land so many times with the Shannahan regime I’m just taking the odds that things will continue has they have for years. Marner will have a big year, get his big contract and Leafs fans will be happy.

Last edited:

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
No we already trust Nylander in the playoffs. Past 5/6 years he's been our best player hands down
Nylander got that albatross for his regular season play. His one outlier season that happened to be in his contract year. If his contract was a reflection of his playoff play it would be half.

Hands down? Despite the fact of the big contracts Nylander is the only one out scored 5 on 5, has by far the worst shot share and has less points than Matthews and Marner.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Nylander got that albatross for his regular season play. His one outlier season that happened to be in his contract year. If his contract was a reflection of his playoff play it would be half.

Hands down? Despite the fact of the big contracts Nylander is the only one out scored 5 on 5, has by far the worst shot share and has less points than Matthews and Marner.

Because when he was on his ELC he wasn't as good. Check his stats the last 5 years like I said.
Calling his contract an albatross is enough to know it is not worth the time here

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Because when he was on his ELC he wasn't as good. Check his stats the last 5 years like I said.
Calling his contract an albatross is enough to know it is not worth the time here
If you think think those stats aren’t good, you clearly haven’t checked your own claim. What a hilarious comment in the context of trying to discredit me.

The Leafs paid for an outlier season that by no coincidence came in his contract year. Be as happy with that as you want.

You sure post a lot for not knowing your own favorite team very well.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
Yes and they will lose him for nothing at the end of the year. A huge mismanagement of a big asset.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad