Will Marner have a career year in 24/25?

Will Marner have a career year in 24/25?

• Yes

Votes: 34 32.1%
  • No

Votes: 60 56.6%
  • Not sure

Votes: 12 11.3%

• Total voters

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I don't know. I doubt it'll be a career year, but I can see him pacing for 100 or so points.

To me he doesn't seem as dynamic or as creative as he used to. He's a guy who will always get his points. He has the hands and offensive vision and hockey IQ to produce consistently.

I hope he has a career playoffs... :confused:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don't know. I doubt it'll be a career year, but I can see him pacing for 100 or so points.

To me he doesn't seem as dynamic or as creative as he used to. He's a guy who will always get his points. He has the hands and offensive vision and hockey IQ to produce consistently.

I hope he has a career playoffs... :confused:

That’s the only way he will prove that he belongs. Nothing he does in the regular season proves anything.

Reactions: rotiman187

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
We talking regular season or in playoffs ? Regular he probably does, doubt he does anything in the playoffs. Maybe rack up 3-4 points in a blowout win to trick the stat nerds.

Reactions: BrannigansLaw
Jul 10, 2003
KW
Yeah he will. Imho his previous contract year was his best season thus far. He has a lot to prove, without a career season I don’t think gets any offers to match what he’s currently getting, let alone a raise. It would be terrible optics for him (and Leafs management at the time) to get less money on his ufa deal than his rfa one…basically proving he wasn’t ever worth his current contract. Toronto will probably be his only option to get a (modest) raise. He’ll need a decent playoffs performance if he expects to see offers over 10m elsewhere.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I doubt it will be much different than any other year. PPG will be about the same, just depends on if he can play a full 82 games.
If he does, I'd expect around 110 - 120 points.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Yeah he will. Imho his previous contract year was his best season thus far. He has a lot to prove, without a career season I don’t think gets any offers to match what he’s currently getting, let alone a raise. It would be terrible optics for him (and Leafs management at the time) to get less money on his ufa deal than his rfa one…basically proving he wasn’t ever worth his current contract. Toronto will probably be his only option to get a (modest) raise. He’ll need a decent playoffs performance if he expects to see offers over 10m elsewhere.
I'd be surprised if he isn't signed before the playoffs.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Guaranteed he's hitting 30 plus goals and assist per game wouldn't surprise me. Contract year special coming up and nobody should be surprised.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Probably flirt with 100 points. I could see him passing that if he stays healthy.
Not sure I’d call it a career year though given that he’s come close before.

Reactions: ACC1224
Jul 10, 2003
KW
I'd be surprised if he isn't signed before the playoffs.

Yeah I don’t think he wants to go to the open market and risk getting embarrassed with offers less than he’s currently making either. He will need to up his game like Nylander did, and give the Leafs no choice but keep him.

Reactions: byrath

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Yeah I don’t think he wants to go to the open market and risk getting embarrassed with offers less than he’s currently making either. He will need to up his game like Nylander did, and give the Leafs no choice but keep him.
He doesn't want to go to market because he doesn't want to leave the Leafs. If he goes to market he'll get paid, there is zero doubt about that.
Thinking he'll be 'embarrassed' is a little silly

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

There’s no way he signed by the Leafs. I think they know it’s time to move on. It’s lunacy not to change the core and not re-balance the cap. It's lunacy to have so much money tied up in 2 soft wingers.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Voted not sure. I'd lean towards no. I think this drama will wear on him more than help him.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
i think he's extremely motivated by money but he also is fragile mentally. i could easily see the media pressure wearing on him. i think he'll put up 90+ points and a small chance he breaks 100.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yes but not just because It's a contract year, although I do think baring injury he's about to go off.

I think having an actual coach will make a big difference

Reactions: ACC1224

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Yeah , chip on his shoulder + money , easy win for Marner , will most likely lead the team in ice time again , much to the chagrin of leafs fans

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
i think he's extremely motivated by money but he also is fragile mentally. i could easily see the media pressure wearing on him. i think he'll put up 90+ points and a small chance he breaks 100.
Why do you think he’s motivated by money any more than any other player?

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Can a 100 point player really have a "career year"? 110 wouldn't be much higher than his previous highs.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
He doesn't want to go to market because he doesn't want to leave the Leafs. If he goes to market he'll get paid, there is zero doubt about that.
Thinking he'll be 'embarrassed' is a little silly

It would be embarrassing for the Marner camp to take a pay cut as 27 year old ufa in a higher cap world. We know from his last negotiations that the optics of how his deal compares to others is very important to them. Other than the Leafs, I can’t see many (if any) teams giving him more than what he’s currently getting imho. What teams do you think would/could offer him 11+ on the open market? He’s probably going to want a higher cap % than he currently gets, that alone I think puts him closer to 12m.

There’s no way he signed by the Leafs. I think they know it’s time to move on. It’s lunacy not to change the core and not re-balance the cap. It's lunacy to have so much money tied up in 2 soft wingers.

Hopefully you’re right, but I don’t see the Leafs brain trust letting star player walk over a measly 100 million dollars.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
It would be embarrassing for the Marner camp to take a pay cut as 27 year old ufa in a higher cap world. We know from his last negotiations that the optics of how his deal compares to others is very important to them. Other than the Leafs, I can’t see many (if any) teams giving him more than what he’s currently getting imho. What teams do you think would/could offer him 11+ on the open market? He’s probably going to want a higher cap % than he currently gets, that alone I think puts him closer to 12m.

Hopefully you’re right, but I don’t see the Leafs brain trust letting star player walk over a measly 100 million dollars.
Safe to say he won’t need to take a pay cut.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
The psychologists in this thread are amazing.

I had no idea this many people on hfboards were professionals who have had extensive personal contact with Marner allowing them to make all these definitive comments on his motivations and personal failings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad