Will Kessel's 30 goal season streak come to an end?

ForSpareParts*

I keep hearing reports that he's grossly out of shape. Is there any truth to that?

Myke

Jun 9, 2006
Toronto/Ottawa
www.myke.org
I keep hearing reports that he's grossly out of shape. Is there any truth to that?

We won't know until we see him but just because he wasn't playing in the KHL does not mean he is out of shape. Same could be said for the majority of NHL players then.

Also I don't think it is fair to say the streak is over if he does not hit 30. If he keeps a 30 goal pace over the 48 games then I would say the streak continues.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
If he does, he'll be in the top 2-3 in the league. Not sure he'd do it

Although if he starts out like last year..

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Never say never but if I were a betting person, I wouldn't put money on him keeping up the 30 goal streak. I'd think a guy like Stamkos would be hitting that kind of goal market in a shortened season and Kessel is no Stamkos.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
Never say never but if I were a betting person, I wouldn't put money on him keeping up the 30 goal streak. I'd think a guy like Stamkos would be hitting that kind of goal market in a shortened season and Kessel is no Stamkos.

Kessel also doesn't have a St. Louis as his playmaker. Never say never, though.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Kessel starts at a very high pace...this guy can get like 12-14 points in the first 7 games..he needs to keep it going at a steady pace.

If he can do that...he'd easily be top 5 in goals.

The only players as of now that I can think of will get more goals than Kessel are:

Stamkos, Malkin, Ovie (close one though), Kovalchuk.

I don't think Neal or Gaborik are going to score at a 40 goal pace and Crosby as good as he is hasn't scored many goals since coming back..he's the assist king.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Does anyone know what kind of shape Kessel is in and what he has been doing the last little while to prepare or keep up??

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Kessel is a streaky goalscorer...he could score 30 if he gets into an extended hot streak or he could score 15 if he is cold. I would expect him to break 20 but with a shortened season, I will limit my expectations beyond that number.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
More like Kessel doesn't have Stamkos' one-timer. Without St. Louis on his wing Stamkos would still produce more goals, me thinks

Not as many.. Who do you think sets him up most of the time for those one-timers? St. Louis is one of the most, if not the most, under-rated play makers in the league.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Not as many.. Who do you think sets him up most of the time for those one-timers? St. Louis is one of the most, if not the most, under-rated play makers in the league.

Not as many but still more than Kessel. Kessel doesn't need an elite playmaker. I don't think a Joe Thornton equates to that many more goals for Kessel given how much he likes to rush the puck up ice himself. Get him a strong-along-the-boards, defensively responsible center and Kessel will create for his linemates as well as finish whatever chances arise

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Not as many but still more than Kessel. Kessel doesn't need an elite playmaker. I don't think a Joe Thornton equates to that many more goals for Kessel given how much he likes to rush the puck up ice himself. Get him a strong-along-the-boards, defensively responsible center and Kessel will create for his linemates as well as finish whatever chances arise

I agree however if you have a player who can make good outlet passes or even better passes when Kessel gets himself open in the offensive zone. It'd make it so Phil can take less of a pounding in terms of his non-existent cycle game.. A guy like Stastny who can get the puck right on Phil's stick for a quick release would be amazing to watch in terms of not only on the rush but also with the cycle game that Phil doesn't really have..

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
I get the feeling that we will only have 2 people who get 30+ goals this year. Stamkos and somebody else (don't know who). That other person could be one of many people such as Gaborik, Kessel, Malkin, Crosby, Ovechkin, Nash, Marleau, etc. I just get the feeling that only 2 people will hit the 30 mark though.

satyr9

Sep 20, 2009
No chance at 30 whatsoever (well never say never I guess). I would factor in that they're crunching an extra 7-10 games into a typical schedule (I'm assuming the season won't end 2-3 weeks later than usual). There'll be a few extra nights where guys are on their 3rd night out of 4 or 4 of 5 and are just too gassed. IMO the smart teams will actually do their best to keep guys in the 35-40 game range instead of aiming for the full 48. 20 goals is going to be fantastic. To me, this year with this schedule 30 goals is well beyond 50 goal pace for a typical regular season.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Carlyle says he wants Kessel to stick around the net a little more and get the garbage pucks that bounce out. Could get him an extra 10 goals.

Carlyle says blocking shots the first priority of the new Leafs playbook, Randy says Flamingoing isn't an option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad