Will JT/Marner will be on the team to start the 2025-26 season?

Which of JT/Marner will be on the team to start the 2025-26 season?

• Marner yes, JT no

Votes: 10 11.4%
  • JT yes, Marner no

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Neither will be on the team

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Both will be on the team

Votes: 58 65.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I'm ready. Got a bottle of Talisker 10 and a bottle of Talisker Distillers Edition all ready to go. I even tasted both for quality control and all that. ;)
Cool! Just flew through Heathrow for a vacay in the riveria, got a litre of Glen Scotia Campbletown 1832, drank it in two weeks. My liver hurts.
Like a mix of used oil from a 57 chevy, rotten plums, and corn liquor.
Wan't sure if I liked it, added a few drops of water and OMG loved it! It was 46.9 abv I think, really interesting stuff. A man's whiskey!!! (my daughter was not keen on it).
Have loaded up on Craigellachie 13 for hockey, best value now in the LCBO.
They had Talisker Surge in the BA executive lounges at Heathrow, I was shocked, and helped myself!!!!

Next year Tavares will be 35 to start the season.
His current deal is 7*11mm.

I'm going to guess 4*$7mm

marner
marner will get a raise, but not sure term.
Matthews next deal will be when he is 31 years old, and the Cap will likely be over $100mm.

4 * $12.5
I think JT will come in closer to $5 mil.
Marner's number I agree with you.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
I'm going to guess 4*$7mm for Tavares
This should be an instant firing. That's huge overpay. He isn't owed a penny.

The team is clearly prepared to move on fully from him (removed the C).

JT is too slow. He needs sheltering as is. If he's cheap then keep him, otherwise move on.

Zero JT decisions until the Marner situation is fully resolved.

Reactions: ULF_55

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Cool! Just flew through Heathrow for a vacay in the riveria, got a litre of Glen Scotia Campbletown 1832, drank it in two weeks. My liver hurts.
Like a mix of used oil from a 57 chevy, rotten plums, and corn liquor.
Wan't sure if I liked it, added a few drops of water and OMG loved it! It was 46.9 abv I think, really interesting stuff. A man's whiskey!!! (my daughter was not keen on it).
Have loaded up on Craigellachie 13 for hockey, best value now in the LCBO.
They had Talisker Surge in the BA executive lounges at Heathrow, I was shocked, and helped myself!!!!
Sipping on a Tullamore DEW right now.

I have a bottle of Highland Park 25 year old that I picked up over 30 years ago (do the math).

There are only two options: open it when the Leafs win the Cup, or will it to my sons, who I know will appreciate it. The only question is: do I put the same restriction on them?

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
How about: last summer they said the priority was signing Matthews and Nylander; this summer there has been no such comment about Tavares or Marner.
Perhaps they learned that stating the importance of signing a player significantly worsens your negotiation position

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Projections are opinions, history is history.

Maybe Treliving will be fired before next July 1st.?

Tavares
Tanev just signed a 6 year, $4.5mm deal and he'll be 35 in December.
His previous deal was 6*5.5mm.
So he took an 18% cut.
He was 2nd. tier of defenders available, but he was in the rent district Leafs could afford since they were going after more than 1 defender.

Next year Tavares will be 35 to start the season.
His current deal is 7*11mm.

I'm going to guess 4*$7mm

marner
marner will get a raise, but not sure term.
Matthews next deal will be when he is 31 years old, and the Cap will likely be over $100mm.

marner may take the same 4 year term, so not to be left behind the real reason they play, money.
If marner took full term, he could end up making millions less per year than Matthews.

4 * $12.5

GMs can talk about long term plans until they're blue in the face but the vast majority of them are only really thinking 1-2 years ahead at best. Few have the job security to think otherwise

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
It'll depend how much Tavares wants in FA. He can still sign a nice contract somewhere for 3-4 years but if he does, I hope it's not here.

The Leafs already gave him a retirement contract and let him fulfill his childhood dream of being the captain of the Maple Leafs. They also gave up a few seasons of their window for it (not JT's fault.)

Shanahan misspoke years ago when he talked about the RFAs taking team friendly deals, but it's time to nudge JT in that direction. Especially considering the underwhelming results (as a team) since they signed him.

If he stays and wants to retire a Leaf he can take a very team friendly contract and hopefully be part of a Stanley Cup run in the next 4-5 years. If he wants to chase the money on his last contract - which is perfectly fair and within his rights as a player - then management should waive goodbye.

He needs to be viewed as the 3C going forward and shouldn't be signed for anything more than 4M imo. Overall I give him a 50% chance of being back.

For better or worse I think they'll sign Marner unless he has an abysmal playoffs. My frustration with Marner is at an all-time high but I have a feeling he has a big year this year, both in the regular season and playoffs. I'll give him a 80-90% chance of being back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad