Will demand for goalies in an expanding league drive up their value?

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Jake Allen has played 40+ games in 1/6 seasons. And even that barely crossed the threshold.

Another goalie will be brought in, and Schmid and Daws will get starts as well
allen played 13 games since the deadline. that pace is well over the 40 game pace he'll need next season.

there is no denying the devils should get a legit starter but they have kicked that can down the road for a few seasons now. im not sure they're willing to pay the high asking prices. wouldn't shock me if they wait it out an reassess at the deadline.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Goalies are insanely volatile

here's everyone that got a Vezina vote last year and their save percentage last year compared to this year:

Ullmark: .938>.915
Sorokin: .924>.908
Hellebuyck: .920>.921
Saros: .919>.906
Oettinger: .919>.905
Vasilevskiy: .915>.900
Georgiev: .918>.897
Shesterkin: .916>.912

and that's looking at the best ones, now imagine how volatile the other guys are

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
allen played 13 games since the deadline. that pace is well over the 40 game pace he'll need next season.

there is no denying the devils should get a legit starter but they have kicked that can down the road for a few seasons now. im not sure they're willing to pay the high asking prices. wouldn't shock me if they wait it out an reassess at the deadline.
NJD was trying to preserve Daws and Schmid waiver exemption for next year by not playing them down the stretch. And NJD will be bringing in another goalie.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
NJD was trying to preserve Daws and Schmid waiver exemption for next year by not playing them down the stretch. And NJD will be bringing in another goalie.
daws and schmid didn't have good years in the nhl or ahl. both were in the .890's. if the devils traded for a goalie one of them is likely heading the other way. i agree that the devils will bring in another goalie but i think it's more likely to be a platoon/backup than a legit starter given their reluctance to make a move the past few seasons. personally i think they should just overpay and settle it once and for all.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
daws and schmid didn't have good years in the nhl or ahl. both were in the .890's. if the devils traded for a goalie one of them is likely heading the other way. i agree that the devils will bring in another goalie but i think it's more likely to be a platoon/backup than a legit starter given their reluctance to make a move the past few seasons. personally i think they should just overpay and settle it once and for all.
Schmid and Daws will get starts next year. Schmid was fine in the NHL except for 2 starts where vanacek called in sick and Schmid had to start the 2nd night of a back to back after starting the 1st

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
There's so much to the goalie discussion that goes beyond supply and demand.

A game changing goalie might make 1 more save than a good goalie but that 1 save could cost you 4 million more in cap hit.

A game changing forward might score 20 more goals than a good forward for the 2 million more in cap hit.

Do you mean one more save per season, or one more save per game?

Because if it's the latter, that's 50-60 goals prevented over a season.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Goalies are insanely volatile

here's everyone that got a Vezina vote last year and their save percentage last year compared to this year:

Ullmark: .938>.915
Sorokin: .924>.908
Hellebuyck: .920>.921
Saros: .919>.906
Oettinger: .919>.905
Vasilevskiy: .915>.900
Georgiev: .918>.897
Shesterkin: .916>.912

and that's looking at the best ones, now imagine how volatile the other guys are

It happens to goalies on the lower tier too. Whose going to be the Charlie lindgren this year, and how much will lindgren drop?

Nothing surprises me with goaltending anymore.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
teams consistently undervalue goalies, and then wonder why they get bounced in the playoffs early.

when you have a guy who can get you to the finals, hold onto him.

Goalies who’ve been to multiple finals over the last 40 years (as starters):

Billy Smith - 4x
Patrick Roy - 6x
Martin Brodeur - 5x
Dominik Hasek - 2x
Grant Fuhr - 4x
Ed Belfour - 3x
JS Giguere - 2x
Mike Vernon - 3x
Chris Osgood - 3x
Jonathan Quick - 2x
Corey Crawford - 2x
Marc-Andre Fleury - 4x
Matt Murray - 2x
Tuukka Rask - 2x
Andrei Vasilevskiy - 3x

I’m sure I’m forgetting some, and miscounting others.

But somewhere along the line, it became accepted that you don’t need a stud goalie, and you absolutely do.

People simply don’t understand the position. Guys will have bad years.

In the aggregate, over time, the cream always rises to the top.

Pay your goalies, and make sure they’ve got a good backup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad