Speculation: Will Craig Adams start on opening night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I completely blanked on the fact that he's a 35+ contract player, though. Ugh.

I don't think it would make a difference in the end, regardless.

Yeah. Considering he's useless and may be a locker room cancer, the Penguins may just bite the bullet on the final year of his $700k cap hit.

Karnage420*

Yeah. Considering he's useless and may be a locker room cancer, the Penguins may just bite the bullet on the final year of his $700k cap hit.

buyout window passed. demoting/waiving him only saves 100k.

literally no reason he wont be in a penguin jersey to start the season.

our only hope is if we waive him and someone claims him. sooo 0.00000000000000000000001% chance hes not a penguin to start the year.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I bet a stupid GM with a young team would pick him up. We should at least try. No harm in him making it through and never even sending him down, right? If he's here as our 13th forward I don't have a huge problem so long as he keeps his mouth shut. And if we have long term injuries, we call players up to leapfrog him.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
buyout window passed. demoting/waiving him only saves 100k.

literally no reason he wont be in a penguin jersey to start the season.

our only hope is if we waive him and someone claims him. sooo 0.00000000000000000000001% chance hes not a penguin to start the year.

You keep missing the point. Waiving Adams wouldn't be as a cap move. Waiving Adams would be a move to get rid of a useless 4th liner with an ego that was a locker room cancer last year.

Ogrezilla said:
I bet a stupid GM with a young team would pick him up. We should at least try. No harm in him making it through and never even sending him down, right? If he's here as our 13th forward I don't have a huge problem so long as he keeps his mouth shut. And if we have long term injuries, we call players up to leapfrog him.

The only other way I could see the Penguins possibly moving his cap hit is if Adams is a throw-in in a bigger deal for a top 6 winger.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
There also is a unique question here "Will Adams start" does not mean he will be off the roster. Karnage - they can just sit his ass.

Even though I think Adams plays, there are other options. :laugh:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I think he'll still be in the org for the season, there's only so many options. I just don't think he'll be a regular in the lineup because he's beyond awful and Bylsma is gone.

13th forward him and only use him in an emergency
LTIR him because there has to be something wrong with him that they can find
Waive him, he gets claimed or it's a $600,000 cap hit for the season
He retires, the $700,000 cap hit stays and I doubt he'd do it
Trade him with a pick to get someone to take him
Add him on to a bigger trade
The fantasy of him not reporting

Then it's at least league minimum for the player replacing him on top of any remaining salary. If he really needs to be gone they'd need to open up enough cap space to feel comfortable with putting him in WBS. Who knows what he'd do to WBS, though. At least try waiving him.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
There also is a unique question here "Will Adams start" does not mean he will be off the roster. Karnage - they can just sit his ass.

You know this also got me thinking.... couldn't the Penguins just tell him to stay away from the team entirely? Not allow him into CEC or any of the practice facilities?

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
If Adams is that bad of a locker room presence, do we want him in WBS?

The best case scenario is him refusing to report and having his contract terminated.

Last edited:

Karnage420*

You keep missing the point. Waiving Adams wouldn't be as a cap move. Waiving Adams would be a move to get rid of a useless 4th liner with an ego that was a locker room cancer last year.

The only other way I could see the Penguins possibly moving his cap hit is if Adams is a throw-in in a bigger deal for a top 6 winger.

woah woah woah, i'd never defend adams like this - but where on earth did this idea come from? link?

thats probably the most "hfboards" thing ive ever read. adams is a classy guy in every way - sure he sucks at hockey, but i cant ever see him being anything close to a locker room cancer.

Karnage420*

and yes i agree he may not start. i did vote "yes" however.

all ive been trying to say is hes a lock to be a penguin this season, which gives him a high chance to start a game, especially the first game where rookie fourth liners arent typically called up due to lack of injuries.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
woah woah woah, i'd never defend adams like this - but where on earth did this idea come from? link?

thats probably the most "hfboards" thing ive ever read. adams is a classy guy in every way - sure he sucks at hockey, but i cant ever see him being anything close to a locker room cancer.
Well there was the whole thing about sitting down with the coaches every day and telling them about what goes on in the room.

Assuming the players knew this was going on (lets be honest, it would be hard to hide it) that sounds pretty cancerous. Also I think it was Dejan or Yohe that tweeted about how Adams never looked happy and always seemed bitter.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

With all the talk about WBS forwards having a shot at making the team, I doubt he starts. They seem like they really want to give a kid a shot.

Madden said that players on the team told him that Adams would have coffee with the coaches and inform them on things that were said in the locker room. He also mentioned how young players sometimes felt unwelcome by certain veterans on the team who were afraid the kids could take their job.

DK said similar things about Adams being an issue.

Of course we don't know for sure if it's true, but it wasn't made up by HF members.

Karnage420*

With all the talk about WBS forwards having a shot at making the team, I doubt he starts. They seem like they really want to give a kid a shot.

Madden said that players on the team told him that Adams would have coffee with the coaches and inform them on things that were said in the locker room. He also mentioned how young players sometimes felt unwelcome by certain veterans on the team who were afraid the kids could take their job.

DK said similar things about Adams being an issue.

Of course we don't know for sure if it's true, but it wasn't made up by HF members.

incredible...he was literally tattling and fellating bylsma daily?

this is worse than i thought.

being from toronto - i have no clue who madden is - but from what ive heard about him randomly he seems like a dude who makes stuff up. but even still thats some juicy stuff.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
More than 1 media member has said this was happening. It was pretty well documented in the offseason.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
More than 1 media member has said this was happening. It was pretty well documented in the offseason.

Even without anyone in the media saying anything, when a guy like Adams plays all the minutes he does and plays all 82 games and every game in the playoffs, that should be an indication that something is VERY wrong.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Even without anyone in the media saying anything, when a guy like Adams plays all the minutes he does and plays all 82 games and every game in the playoffs, that should be an indication that something is VERY wrong.

Yeah, it just ended up being worse than expected. There's Bylsma seeing himself in players and prioritizing them, and then there's a player being a rat and the coach rewarding that... and Bylsma seeing himself in players and prioritizing them. I don't know how the **** things reach that point and it's allowed.

You just know players were talking about things in languages other than English. Maybe Adams was even trying to learn said languages.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's well documented through summer threads WITH podcasts. Use the search function, Karnage. You will find it.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

That's what they'll do. You don't want a young guy sitting in the pressbox waiting for an injury in warmups. That's what our boy Craig will be doing. So if he plays 6 minutes a night in garbage time a few times a year, it won't hurt a thing. Assuming he keeps his mouth shut around the team.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
It's well documented through summer threads WITH podcasts. Use the search function, Karnage. You will find it.

I suppose this is still a far cry from being documented though.
What irks me the most is the lack of follow up stories on this. What Madden and DK suggested ought to be a juicy react quote piece, and even if you get 'no comments' all around, that is an article also.

If I am Adams and this isn't true, I'd want the air cleared. If it is true, damn sure it should be covered more than just talk radio.

bigG

Jan 18, 2010
he will be waived before the first regular season game as long as their are no forward injuries

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Can't we just buy him out? Sure it won't save us much, but it's better than him being on the roster altogether, he'd be out of the locker-room where it's speculated he's been a problem, and we'd save a few pennies in cap-space. Better than nothing, wouldn't it?

I really don't even want to see the guy sitting in the press box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad