Will Canada success in soccer and basketball have even more detrimental effect on hockey ?

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
No it will not affect hockey much, the rich kids with two parents and a house and cars play hockey. The rest of them in the city stick to basketball and soccer

Why doesn't Canadian government have any program to help young kids to play hockey, especially kids from poor families?
Hockey Canada's only interest is making money , hockey should be in public schools if they want to grow the game

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Canada has more youth soccer players than hockey players for decades. Canadian soccer just had trouble coaching excellence.

It and hoops are far cheaper to play at an elementary level, while hockey has gotten more and more expensive, so it will fall behind in numbers, at least.

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024
Just speaking about my neck of the woods, but the tradition of hockey is still alive and well and it’s taken much more seriously than both soccer and basketball. This might differ from the GTA however. Hockey in small town Ontario has an advantage in organization and structure that is unrivalled at the moment. And the amazing part is that I say this despite the fact that more kids might actually play soccer here than they do hockey.

Don’t get me wrong, there is still Rep level soccer here, and a lot of talented kids play the game. The way in which it differs is the lower levels and child development or “pipeline” if you will.

Most kids in my town play house league soccer which is an absolute joke. There are no tryouts to assess ability or balance teams. The coaches aren’t “soccer coaches”. There are no practices or concept of development for kids that display aptitude. There isn’t any sort of accolade or regional championship for winning the league. Sometimes the game doesn’t even have a ref or the ref doesn’t even know the rules very well. The parents don’t care and play on their phones while the game is on. It’s basically just a sport for kids to run around aimlessly and get exercise.

Hockey organizations on the other hand have all the above. The parents and coaches are heavily invested and involved, and kids have a ladder to move up and down, and incentive to win or at the very least stand out from their peers.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Why single out Canada, why not all the hockey nations?
There are tax deductions for kids signing up for sports programs.

It's mostly free for kids in Russia. I mean not in every hockey school, but all top schools develop Russian kids for free. That's why we have Panarin who was from a very poor family.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
They worked out indoors and they held classes indoors. Most kids had it by the end of the summer so they didn’t worry about.
Well it depends what province or state you lived in, everyone had their own policies.

Some had no indoor activities.
OHL and teams in Ontario did not play,

Answer to OP, is will not have any effect.

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
It's the people who wouldn't play hockey to begin with that are increasing the numbers of other sports.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Well it depends what province or state you lived in, everyone had their own policies.

Some had no indoor activities.
OHL and teams in Ontario did not play,

Answer to OP, is will not have any effect.
Those mandates are still affecting a lot of kids. It makes me sad, but I’m thankful that I was given some accurate and real information early on and our kids were able to live their lives.

• Wow
Reactions: H3ckt1k

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Oh look, it's the monthly let's find strange reasons to predict the demise of hockey in Canada thread.

As if we didn't just have back-to-back 1st overall picks (and 4 of the last 5), 8 of the first 11 picks in the 2024 draft and 18 of the 32 1st rounders in that draft.

Maybe we won't produce the sheer number of NHL players we used to but we will still be a force armed with tons of top end talent. So stop the nonsense. And I say this as someone who loves every second of this Canada Basketball uprising.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Why doesn't Canadian government have any program to help young kids to play hockey, especially kids from poor families?

Cause they'd rather spend money on dumb shit.

The United States will take over hockey soon. The US mens hockey team is already the most stacked team in the world.

In a world where Canada doesn't exist, maybe.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Being the next Chara is hard to replicate for a Basketball player. Assuming we are talking about guys who are 6'4 and taller. Guys who end up playing Guard, yeah, they may make good hockey players if they opt for the the sport, but once you get to the Forwards and Center, unlikely. I mean, how many 6'6 plus players have ever played hockey at the pro level?

Soccer, have the right size for hockey.

Both sports are way more accessible. Something the NHL should look at as they need the feeder system, especially with the expectation of more expansion down the line. Need to increase the quality of player, not just add the 23, 64, 89, and 128th next best players in the world.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
No it will not affect hockey much, the rich kids with two parents and a house and cars play hockey. The rest of them in the city stick to basketball and soccer

Hockey Canada's only interest is making money , hockey should be in public schools if they want to grow the game
Hockey is in public schools.

The issue is the only kids that make the teams all play rep hockey as it is. But the same can be said for basketball, at least in my experience.

Kids looking to try out and see if they like it have zero chance at making the teams.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
It's mostly free for kids in Russia. I mean not in every hockey school, but all top schools develop Russian kids for free. That's why we have Panarin who was from a very poor family.

It's free but AFAIK parents still need to provide equipment up to the 8th year of the child (when contract with schools begin). It's how Panarin was using like 30 year old equipment until he joined Vityaz school.

That said, I don't think any child would be allowed to play in 30 year old equipment these days.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
Oh look, it's the monthly let's find strange reasons to predict the demise of hockey in Canada thread.

As if we didn't just have back-to-back 1st overall picks (and 4 of the last 5), 8 of the first 11 picks in the 2024 draft and 18 of the 32 1st rounders in that draft.

Maybe we won't produce the sheer number of NHL players we used to but we will still be a force armed with tons of top end talent. So stop the nonsense. And I say this as someone who loves every second of this Canada Basketball uprising.
The participation numbers are already down and the draft pics don’t represent the demographic reality of Canada

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
Canada just placed top 4 in the Copa America becoming the best North American team in the tournament.

Canada also just went undefeated in the Olympics basketball round robin tournament and has good chances at winning medals.

I don’t recall if Canada was ever this successful in these sports before and therefore this brings a question - will this even more decrease the popularity of hockey and number of children playing it?

No. Hockey is still going to be king in Canada for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: Voight and Fatass

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Canada just placed top 4 in the Copa America becoming the best North American team in the tournament.

Canada also just went undefeated in the Olympics basketball round robin tournament and has good chances at winning medals.

I don’t recall if Canada was ever this successful in these sports before and therefore this brings a question - will this even more decrease the popularity of hockey and number of children playing it?
Basketball and hockey are not competing girls thr famr players. For basketball you need to be 2m meters in height

Soccer you could be directly competing along with baseball.

You can be fast on feet but it dorsnt translate to ice skating because you use different muscles

No. Hockey is still going to be king in Canada for the foreseeable future.
Until global warming killed winter ice

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Basketball and hockey are not competing girls thr famr players. For basketball you need to be 2m meters in height

Soccer you could be directly competing along with baseball.

You can be fast on feet but it dorsnt translate to ice skating because you use different muscles

Until global warming killed winter ice
Ya playing on the ODR, has gone down to about 2 months a year now where I am.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Canada's demographics are changing, perhaps in an even more accelerated way than the U.S. Subsequent generations are going to 1) gravitate towards sports that their parents/culture enjoy 2) gravitate towards sports that are more accessible. This is a good thing for athletics in Canada but will eventually start chipping away at hockey.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The politics of Canada is by far the biggest obstacle. Success in other sports may contribute but it's a distant factor compared to the economic struggles.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
Canada's demographics are changing, perhaps in an even more accelerated way than the U.S. Subsequent generations are going to 1) gravitate towards sports that their parents/culture enjoy 2) gravitate towards sports that are more accessible. This is a good thing for athletics in Canada but will eventually start chipping away at hockey.
Another thing to is the marketing and culture around hockey. Hockey just isnt seem as cool and there biggest stars are completely invisible to the American public to do Canadian good ole boys network that dominate hockey.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Success? No.

The fact soccer and basketball are far more accessible to the average household probably will though. Hockey is not an affordable sport for the average family.
It's a sign MLS will be more popular than hockey, regulated to 6th place (technically more)

NFL, MLB, NBA, College (at least football), MLS then hockey

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It's a sign MLS will be more popular than hockey, regulated to 6th place (technically more)

NFL, MLB, NBA, College (at least football), MLS then hockey
Not up here though, which is what this thread is about. Hockey is way ahead of those other sports. Hockey is by far king here and will continue to be.

Reactions: jj cale

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3