Value of: Will Borgen

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Hello Seattle fans.

What would be the price, if there is one, for the Sabres to re-acquire Will Borgen?

Thanks.

Borgen's making a case to be re-signed.

I doubt he would be unavailable but solid right shot defenseman with his attitude towards blocking shots/being physical and potential cap hit are ones you'd rather keep instead of giving just away.

That's why I doubt the Kraken will be looking to trade Borgen right now.

Last edited:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I mean, I get that he brings a (semi) needed element........

But we don't have consistent room for him. Our top pair when healthy is rather ambidextrous and we've got RHD to cover pairs 2 and 3. He'd be an upgrade over Pilut and Fitzy for #7 Dman, but he's currently filling the 3rd pairing RHD for Seattle......so he'd likely cost more than what he'd be worth to us.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Could we pay a 5th to borrow him 5 games? Upgraded to a 3rd if we keep him.

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence

A different face is not necessilarily an upgrade.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence

A different face is not necessilarily an upgrade.

Seems like he has some of the strongest defensive metrics on the Kraken among their RHD - like he did back in November when Gabe made the original thread - and yes that is in behind other pairs. He's a good, depth RHD and the Kraken still have no need or use to move him.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Seems like he has some of the strongest defensive metrics on the Kraken among their RHD - like he did back in November when Gabe made the original thread - and yes that is in behind other pairs. He's a good, depth RHD and the Kraken still have no need or use to move him.
My appeal would be they have D depth, and I'd make it worth their while.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
My appeal would be they have D depth, and I'd make it worth their while.

Yeah, we don't.
Our backup options are Cale Fleury and Gustav Olofsson.

Like I've said back then Borgen plays solid and has shown to be a good 6th/7th defenseman.
So there's no need or interest in moving him unless it's an upgrade.

Reactions: Gabrielor

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Borgen's making a case to be re-signed.

I doubt he would be unavailable but solid right shot defenseman with his attitude towards blocking shots/being physical and potential cap hit are ones you'd rather keep instead of giving just away.

That's why I doubt the Kraken will be looking to trade Borgen right now.
Vielleicht können wir ihn borgen?

Reactions: Uberpecker

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Will Borgen is this year's Carson Soucy. People hope he will be available, but Seattle is better off keeping him. I know I'd like to have him on my team. Maybe Francis knew what he was doing with some of those expansion draft picks that people laughed at.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Will Borgen is this year's Carson Soucy. People hope he will be available, but Seattle is better off keeping him. I know I'd like to have him on my team. Maybe Francis knew what he was doing with some of those expansion draft picks that people laughed at.

I mean, Borgen was pretty obviously the choice from Buffalo. The only other NHL caliber players we exposed were Girgensons (at that time, a pending UFA), Skinner (contract), and Okposo (contract).

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Look at the Sabres list and tell me who else they could take. They protected expiring contracts and exposed garbage.

Reactions: Zman5778

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
The Sabres protected 4 players that would never play another game for them. Eichel, Reinhart, Ristolainen and Ullmark. Ullmark didn’t even have a contract but the state of the roster was so brutal they protected him knowing he was walking in days lol.

Girgensons is the only other player available worth even considering…and he too was a UFA at the time so they weren’t doing that.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Ullmark didn’t even have a contract but the state of the roster was so brutal they protected him knowing he was walking in days lol.

Holy revisionist history, Batman. Adams and company were talking to Ullmark right up until FA started even past that.

Adams wanted to re-sign Ullmark............but it sure as hell looks like Ullmark used that to up Boston's offer to him.

Reactions: Irie

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Holy revisionist history, Batman. Adams and company were talking to Ullmark right up until FA started even past that.

Adams wanted to re-sign Ullmark............but it sure as hell looks like Ullmark used that to up Boston's offer to him.
If you think the front office wasn’t aware what was going to happen in goal by then I don’t know what to tell you.

I’ll give them slightly more credit than you are giving them.

A week before free agency they were well aware he wasn’t signing. They say things like “will negotiate with” so that years later people can go on messageboards and say they were trying until the last minute!

And hey…looks like it worked

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
So what type of contract is Seattle prepared to offer Borgen? It seems like they have just enough cap room to re-sign everybody (sans any significant improvements), but also depending on Borgen's new deal.

What order does Borgen fall into with Seattle's other RFAs/UFAs?

Will they be able to re-sign him for less than 4 mil AAV?

If not, do they entertain trade offers from teams willing to sign him for more?

Reactions: HOOats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad