Confirmed with Link: Wild trade Addison to Sharks? Yes, for 2026 5th, Raska

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
Because by many accounts he is an absolute defensive tire fire who needs to be carefully sheltered so that he doesn't cause more problems than he solves.

To use a name someone above invoked, he's like a better version of Ryan Merkley.

Though honestly that might be part of the plan. Make a good looking reclamation project trade for a guy who could become an offensive stalwart on the back end. And if he happens to torpedo the team's defensive ability for a year or two while they force-feed him decent minutes and it costs the team wins, then aww shucks isn't that just the worst luck :sarcasm:
So sell high like Karlsson without the anchor of a contract? Another first round pick, here we come!

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
To be fair, he was a 7th round pick. I think he is a success relative to what you can reasonably expect from a 7th rounder.

In what way? He's never going to have a NHL career. There's absolutely nothing wrong with missing on a 7th round pick but it's funny to highlight him as a success story just because he played 5 games on an awful team with no organizational depth.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Remember when Taylor Doherty was allegedly one of our top prospects? In fact, remember Taylor Doherty at all? :laugh:
How can you forget that 6'8 hunk of meat? Him and Petrecki were going to revolutionize our D group.

But in all reality, who'd have guessed that good ole Matt Irwin would still be hanging around the NHL at this point in time? Remember being shocked when he made the team out of camp in the lockout shortened season of 2013 to be Boyle's partner. Would have lost a lot of money betting on his future in the league.

Reactions: fasterthanlight

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
In what way? He's never going to have a NHL career. There's absolutely nothing wrong with missing on a 7th round pick but it's funny to highlight him as a success story just because he played 5 games on an awful team with no organizational depth.
He played in a couple of NHL games for us. You can and should certainly point out that his actually playing a few games for the Sharks says more about the team than the player but again most 7th round picks never even make it to the AHL.

What about Taylor Dakers? I remember the 3 headed goalie prospect of Dakers, Stalock, and Tyson Sexsmith. I also seem to recall Dakers being the highest rated of the trio.
This reminds me of when the SF giants had Chase Jordan, Jordan Johnson, and Chase Johnson all doing somewhat well for them pitching in double AA in the mid 2010s.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
So is Addison now the Sharks #1 defenseman?
1699469788549.png

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
Ryan Merkley but made the NHL. This is just a desperation move from Grier to get some offense from the back end similar to when Kraapo was traded here from MIN as a desperate move for G help. Absolutely horrific defensively, and another reclamation project.
I mean garbage tier Grier has a to maintain his reputation of getting fleeced in every trade he makes

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
He played in a couple of NHL games for us. You can and should certainly point out that his actually playing a few games for the Sharks says more about the team than the player but again most 7th round picks never even make it to the AHL.

I don't want to belabor the point, and I genuinely wish Raska the best, but it's not like he earned that call up by playing well in the AHL. They just called him up. We could call up Guryev right now and have him get shelled for a few games on the third pair but that doesn't make him a successful pick, let alone one worth boasting about.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Raska wasn't even voted by us to be in the top 15 Sharks prospects. This is one of those "we'll see" deals.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
If you're Leon Gawanke and you couldn't force your way out of the Cuda locker room onto this blueline, you probably have no excuse to be crushed.
I mean, I'd gladly take his place, making $375,000 and getting to live near home.

Cue Woody Harrellson drying his eyes with cash gif.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Because by many accounts he is an absolute defensive tire fire who needs to be carefully sheltered so that he doesn't cause more problems than he solves.

I guess, but I don't see how he's going to be any different than our supposed "Defensive" defensemen who are tire fires defensively.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I don't think Zadina's gotten a fair shot. He played a bit with good players to start the year, had a goal and didn't look awful, then some defensive miscues shoved him down the lineup into a 3rd line role where he had no chance to add any offensive impact and was left to only get let up for more goals against, basically turning it into the same situation that led to Detroit cutting bait with him. It's hard to rehab a guy if the thing you're trying isn't any different than the thing that wrecked him in the first place.

Is it possible that he's just not any good? Sure. But the Sharks aren't exactly in a spot where they would suffer for just force-feeding him some top 6 minutes for a few weeks to see if it has any appreciable effect. If they can afford to put Mike f***ing Hoffman in the top 6 for stretches they can afford to be patient with Zadina even if he sucks in his own zone.
When three different NHL coaches have soured on him for pretty much the same reasons I think it's fair to write Zadina off. Personally I would like to see him get a bigger opportunity since we have nothing to lose but he doesn't seem to possess the awareness without the puck that you need to succeed offensively or defensively in the NHL.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Keep making moves Grier. We got more stuff to shuffle out. This may spell the end of Emberson's time here. It wouldn't surprise me if he's the one that gets waived when they need the roster spot after this move.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Keep making moves Grier. We got more stuff to shuffle out. This may spell the end of Emberson's time here. It wouldn't surprise me if he's the one that gets waived when they need the roster spot after this move.

I think it might be Knyzhov. There's very little chance he gets claimed with that contract.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think it might be Knyzhov. There's very little chance he gets claimed with that contract.
If it's about getting someone through waivers, they should waive Vlasic. If it's about getting someone claimed, probably Emberson or maybe MacDonald.

Le Grand Quebecois

Jun 6, 2015
Oakland, CA
How can you forget that 6'8 hunk of meat? Him and Petrecki were going to revolutionize our D group.

But in all reality, who'd have guessed that good ole Matt Irwin would still be hanging around the NHL at this point in time? Remember being shocked when he made the team out of camp in the lockout shortened season of 2013 to be Boyle's partner. Would have lost a lot of money betting on his future in the league.
Dylan Demelo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad