Confirmed with Link: Wild Sign Zuccarello 5yrs $6m aav

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I like the signing, but will the Norwegians be taking over the State of Hockey now? We will need to watch these guys. You know, Fifth Column stuff. :)
Yes, we need to build a wall around them before the Semmelmans start sneaking over the border via the fjords.

Reactions: a79krgm

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Not a fan of the term on the signing. The money seems in the right range for a UFA signing. I don't mind the NMC, as long as he doesn't find Pommer's cliff and jump off of it.

He fills the void left by the Granny trade in the roster.

I like Zucc as a player. He's fun to watch, heart and soul guy, and has quality skills.

Reactions: TaLoN

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Hi there, nice state you got there, would be a real shame if.......some Norwegians settled there, and built this giant Zucca statue in Mall of America.

Zucca is a natural leader, i foresee that he will be given the A.
Ya, i'm sure that they will tear the A off Suter's and Parise's jersey and give it to Zuccarello.:rolleyes:

pfunk

Jul 1, 2019
Long time reader, first time poster here. I was admittedly pretty disappointed with what Fenton was doing when he started his trade frenzy last season, but after today I actually feel a bit better. Really like the FA additions today as far as the players we got. Term is a little long on Zucc but we don't get him if we aren't willing to give the 5th year in my opinion.

I wish we would have hadn't given up our 3rd round pick so we could have been a player on Aho because at some point we need to address the 1c issue. For next year I think we can still make some noise but it will really hinge on Staal and Ek. If Staal can play like a 1c like we saw two years ago, and Ek can find consistency and look like the 2c he shows flashes of, I don't see how we are any worse off than we were before all of Fenton's moves began. With the exception of the terrible Nino-Rask trade, I think he has done a decent job of retooling on the fly considering ownership wants us to be competitive and set up to win at all times. Until he had a chance to spend some of the money freed up with the prior deals, it was hard to form a good opinion. Overall, I am not super happy but I am also excited to see what we can do with a healthy squad this year. I think our brand of hockey will be more fun to watch at least.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I wish we would have hadn't given up our 3rd round pick so we could have been a player on Aho because at some point we need to address the 1c issue.

It's so rare that a team doesn't match the offer sheet. Carolina was certain to match whatever deal Aho would get. Montreal wasn't even really a "player on Aho", all they did was set the terms for a Carolina deal with him.

Wild11MN

First round losers
Sponsor
May 28, 2013
MN
Long time reader, first time poster here. I was admittedly pretty disappointed with what Fenton was doing when he started his trade frenzy last season, but after today I actually feel a bit better. Really like the FA additions today as far as the players we got. Term is a little long on Zucc but we don't get him if we aren't willing to give the 5th year in my opinion.

I wish we would have hadn't given up our 3rd round pick so we could have been a player on Aho because at some point we need to address the 1c issue. For next year I think we can still make some noise but it will really hinge on Staal and Ek. If Staal can play like a 1c like we saw two years ago, and Ek can find consistency and look like the 2c he shows flashes of, I don't see how we are any worse off than we were before all of Fenton's moves began. With the exception of the terrible Nino-Rask trade, I think he has done a decent job of retooling on the fly considering ownership wants us to be competitive and set up to win at all times. Until he had a chance to spend some of the money freed up with the prior deals, it was hard to form a good opinion. Overall, I am not super happy but I am also excited to see what we can do with a healthy squad this year. I think our brand of hockey will be more fun to watch at least.
Welcome! I agree with most of what you're saying. It's not as bad as people have made it out to be. They just really need to solve the center issue.

Loopy0ne

ugg
Jul 4, 2011
I liked watching this player in NYC. That said, what is Fenton doing? I am lost at this point... treading water and draft picks that are in the teens, wooo!!???

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018

Man, I seem to remember my boy Russo telling us that Fenton wouldn't be able to sign anybody this summer because he turned this team toxic. HMMM:huh:

That’s a bit of a hard interpretation. He said that he wouldn’t be surprised if Fenton struck out this summer because some players don’t see this team as a viable option to win a cup. He also speculated that he feels players and agents aren’t happy with the way the organization has been treating players, and that could rub FAs the wrong way. See Eustance King. He never directly said that the wild wouldn’t be able to sign players, he just said it might be tough. And he was right, Zuccarello turned out to be option C for them. At the end of the day, the other teams that were in on Zuccarello weren’t willing to go 5 years is what I believe was reported to be happenening, and Dallas even lowballed the socks off of him. Money talks, and I believe that Zuccarello was willing to come here because of area and offered role, which proves part of Russo’s arguement incorrect. I’m not saying I agree with Russo’s arguement 100%, but I do think he was right that we are going to lose out on a lot of potential players because of quality of team. “Turned this team toxic” is a bit of a hyperbole.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I liked watching this player in NYC. That said, what is Fenton doing? I am lost at this point... treading water and draft picks that are in the teens, wooo!!???
Leipold will not tank. The man writes the checks...he can do what he wants.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Russo will be on KFAN in about 6 mins if you're interested... can listen live on KFAN.com if you're not local (or on iheartradio).

pfunk

Jul 1, 2019
It's so rare that a team doesn't match the offer sheet. Carolina was certain to match whatever deal Aho would get. Montreal wasn't even really a "player on Aho", all they did was set the terms for a Carolina deal with him.

Oh for sure. I agree. It’s mostly a pipe dream, but we can’t even fire the gun if we don’t have the ammo. He probably did the smart thing, and I did like his draft.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
He's 3 years younger than Parise, and his contract expires a year before Zach's, and it has a 1.5 million less in cap.

Not too worried about this one.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
He's 3 years younger than Parise, and his contract expires a year before Zach's, and it has a 1.5 million less in cap.

Not too worried about this one.

I think the larger issue is that it doesn’t address the fact that our top 2 centers are on the wrong side of 35 years old with really nothing to speak of for replacement options. Expecting Mats Zuccarello to be the difference maker is just silly. He’s a good add on a contender - but on MN as it’s currently structured he will just be another disappointment.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think the larger issue is that it doesn’t address the fact that our top 2 centers are on the wrong side of 35 years old with really nothing to speak of for replacement options. Expecting Mats Zuccarello to be the difference maker is just silly. He’s a good add on a contender - but on MN as it’s currently structured he will just be another disappointment.
Oh, so because he doesn't fill a need 1-2 years from now, we should ignore our needs right now?

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami

Hey man, welcome. You'll find all kinds of opinion similar and dissimilar on this board.

I share most the sentiments with you. I think with the current additions, mixed with hopefully the maturing of the younger guys, and also the hopeful health of everyone, the Wild can make the PO's.

But, I don't expect it. Big thing is our farm is getting fuller after this draft, I think we are in position to trade away a few pieces in the next 2-3 years, mix than with two more good drafts and yes, it may be 4-5 years away, but our team may be looking good again.

Wild11MN

First round losers
Sponsor
May 28, 2013
MN
One thing Russo just noted is that Zuccarello will likely play on a line with Parise, at least to start. Coming from Bruce.

Reactions: TaLoN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad