Proposal: Wideman to EDM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Makes a ton of sense to me from both perspectives. I don't think Wideman has value unless salary is retained. What do Oiler fans think of acquiring Wideman?

He has shortcomings defensively, but isn't out of place on a third pairing and is a legitimate #1 on the PP. Could put up 40-50 points in Edmonton and is a RH shot.

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

zero interest, negative interest even

sign Boyle or Wisniewski for nothing before that

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Wideman and Engelland for Fayne. No retention on either side.

Flames ditch $4.5M in cap space for the upcoming season, allowing them to fit in the Gaudreau and Monahan extensions with ease. Edmonton fills its need for right-handed defencemen with Wideman, who can still play in a top four, and Engelland, a decent #5. The Oilers can afford to take on the extra cap hit for this season, but lose the second year on Fayne's contract- a pivotal move. With Wideman and Engelland hitting FA, that's $8M in savings next summer when they are going to need it most.

Fair trade for both teams that I think improves them equally:

Brodie-Giordano
Wotherspoon-Hamilton
Smid-Fayne
Jokipakka

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Wideman
Davidson-Engelland
Oesterle

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

Wideman and Engelland for Fayne. No retention on either side.

Flames ditch $4.5M in cap space for the upcoming season, allowing them to fit in the Gaudreau and Monahan extensions with ease. Edmonton fills its need for right-handed defencemen with Wideman, who can still play in a top four, and Engelland, a decent #5. The Oilers can afford to take on the extra cap hit for this season, but lose the second year on Fayne's contract- a pivotal move. With Wideman and Engelland hitting FA, that's $8M in savings next summer when they are going to need it most.

Fair trade for both teams that I think improves them equally:

Brodie-Giordano
Wotherspoon-Hamilton
Smid-Fayne
Jokipakka

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Wideman
Davidson-Engelland
Oesterle

EDM takes on 2 bottom pair D and in exchange also take on $4.5M in cap. Chiarelli's already on hot coals with the Hall trade, think they'd fire him on the spot after this. Awful

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Wideman only has 1 year left on his deal. Fayne at this point is barely an NHL player and has multiple years left.

I can understand Oiler fans having no interest in Wideman, but the Flames certainly aren't going to do them a big favor and relieve them of the Fayne contract.

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

Wideman only has 1 year left on his deal. Fayne at this point is barely an NHL player and has multiple years left.

I can understand Oiler fans having no interest in Wideman, but the Flames certainly aren't going to do them a big favor and relieve them of the Fayne contract.

Wideman is a better PP producer than Fayne, Fayne is a better defender than Wideman. Fayne is a stronger possession player with better box protection. If Wideman drops another 19P season, he's still an anchor

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown

Let's not pretend that Fayne's contract is up on the Mount Rushmore of bad contracts.

Two years at 3.63M is ugly, but it's not a show stopper.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa

Fair enough. You keep and pay Wideman. Thanks for think about our well being though. :)

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
zero interest, negative interest even

sign Boyle or Wisniewski for nothing before that

You understand that Boyle and Wisniewski aren't half of what Wideman is offensively right? They also aren't even bottom pairing NHL defenders at this stage. Boyle was by far the worst defenseman on a team with Girardi and Staal. Signing them and playing them makes you worse. They are Nurse bad defensively and only a marginal upgrade offensively.

With either of them you get 20-25 points and replacement level defense. With Wideman you get 40-50 points and 3rd pairing defense. They aren't comparable players. Wideman finished with 56 points and a +6 a year ago playing middle pairing and then top pairing minutes after Giordano got hurt.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
Why would we help the Oilers out this year by sending them Wideman? Unless they are willing to overpay I would rather keep him for now, let him rack up some points, and then either keep him for a playoff run or deal him somewhere else.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Why would we help the Oilers out this year by sending them Wideman? Unless they are willing to overpay I would rather keep him for now, let him rack up some points, and then either keep him for a playoff run or deal him somewhere else.

We have Giordano, Brodie and Hamilton. We need to allocate more money up front. Wideman is a luxury we don't need and can't afford. I'd like to sign Pirri and Nakladal with the savings. Balances out our roster better. You can't have 5 defensemen on the PP.

BeastMode97

Jan 4, 2015

HAhahaha trust me you wouldn't be doing the oilers an favours by giving is Wideman haha. Not interested at all. I love how you said he'd need an overpayment too lol. So is that like a 5th round pick instead of a 6th?

I can tell you right now, the last thing the Oilers want to do is help Calgary clear cap to lock up Monohan and Guadreau.

Lets just say it how it is, everyone knows what they are getting with Wideman.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
HAhahaha trust me you wouldn't be doing the oilers an favours by giving is Wideman haha. Not interested at all. I love how you said he'd need an overpayment too lol. So is that like a 5th round pick instead of a 6th?

I can tell you right now, the last thing the Oilers want to do is help Calgary clear cap to lock up Monohan and Guadreau.

Lets just say it how it is, everyone knows what they are getting with Wideman.

A 40-55 point PP defenseman? Yes that's what he is. He's exactly what you guys need. No one needs that more than the Oilers actually. To acquire a legitimate top pairing guy is going to cost you Draisitl and Puljujarvi at minimum. You guys got a #2/#3 type for Taylor Hall. Imagine the cost of a defenseman who can score like Wideman and also plays defense at a top pairing level.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I would not want Wideman... I am not sure what type of calls he might get from refs. They aren't going to make up calls (or will they :sarcasm: ) but they will not give him the leeway a vet normally gets. Wideman also had a significant drop in production last year. I see him as realistically a 35 point RH PMD who is capable of QBing a PP but has some defensive

I think Wiz will be about the same, but comes at a lesser cost, but that comes with it's own risk because of injury. If Wiz is looking for more than a 2 year deal &/or a cap hit > $3.5, I would just stay as is or try to land Boyle for a 1 year deal at about $3.0M.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I'd rather just hang onto Wideman. See if he can rebound slightly. Sell him at the deadline for a 3rd rounder.

Konami McDavid

May 1, 2015
Edmonton
A 40-55 point PP defenseman? Yes that's what he is.

3 times in a 11 year career. He has done that only one time with the flames. Don't act like that is what we could expect. I'm not going to argue his usefulness on the Oilers or his value, but what we could REASONABLY expect is a guy who puts up his career average .48 PPG (minus a bit because he is on the decline of his lifespan in the NHL). So say, 35 points with poor defensive abilities and who gives the officials one more reason to dislike our team.

Don't expect much for him at a $6M salary next year ($5.25M AAV). I would prefer entering the season with the current changes to our roster and seeing what we have than doing the Flames a favor like this.

PS. we got fleeced on the Hall trade and we all know it. An outlier like that hardly sets a standard.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Prostyle;120813995[B said:
]3 times in a 11 year career. He has done that only one time with the flames[/B]. Don't act like that is what we could expect. I'm not going to argue his usefulness on the Oilers or his value, but what we could REASONABLY expect is a guy who puts up his career average .48 PPG (minus a bit because he is on the decline of his lifespan in the NHL). So say, 35 points with poor defensive abilities and who gives the officials one more reason to dislike our team.

Don't expect much for him at a $6M salary next year ($5.25M AAV). I would prefer entering the season with the current changes to our roster and seeing what we have than doing the Flames a favor like this.

PS. we got fleeced on the Hall trade and we all know it. An outlier like that hardly sets a standard.

He's been on pace for it 6 times. Or should we consider Klefbom a 12 point defenseman because he's been injured? Wideman played behind some pretty good PP guys like Green and didn't see 1st unit time until he came to Calgary other than 1 year in Boston. He also didn't see it last year with Hamilton, Giordano and Brodie. If you don't think he'd put up 40-50 points in Edmonton then I don't know if you know much about hockey. Campbell went from 27 points on the 2nd unit in Chicago to 53 in Florida.

Wideman would be Edmonton's top offensive guy by miles and he'd produce accordingly. Sure, you need to shelter him a bit defensively, but the same is true of Nurse and he doesn't do anything for you on the other end.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Sure it makes sense for the Oilers.

But, I want no part in helping the Flames out of their apparent cap situation to sign Johnny and Monahan. I want my rivals to suffer..and expect them to feel the same way :D

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Fayne was just fine after a bad couple of months to start last season. Capable bottom pair defender.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
Makes a ton of sense to me from both perspectives. I don't think Wideman has value unless salary is retained. What do Oiler fans think of acquiring Wideman?

He has shortcomings defensively, but isn't out of place on a third pairing and is a legitimate #1 on the PP. Could put up 40-50 points in Edmonton and is a RH shot.

High scoring chance area is the portion of ice were shots go in at a rate greater than league average shooting %.
8.5 to 20%

Low scoring chance area is the rest of o zone were shots go in at a rate less than the league average. 0% to 8.5%

there was an average of 30 shots a game.
dmen mostly yield 17- 20 LSC shot s per game.

were you see Shot variance is in the number of HSCA shots.
a range of 7.5 to 13.5 a gm.
you want elite SA and HSCA shot Dmen.

75 % of goals come from these 10.5 shots per game.
so a Strong HSCA and Sa/60 d can reduce expect GA by 33.3%

you wil find the best GA teams have these Top end HSCA D.

while the bottom GA teams will have Poor HSCA d depth.

oilers last year:

Davidson missed 31gm
2nd comp
top 30 HSCAD
top 30 SA/60 D

Klefbom missed 52gm with Staph inf Surgery
1st comp
Top 60 HSCAD
top 60 SA/60

Sekera Bottom 40 HSCAD last year.
Top 10 HSCA DVS 2nd comp
Top 60 SA/60 D vs 2nd comp
played 1st comp last year.

Schultz Bottom 20 HSCAD traded to Pit
Gryba Bottom 10 HSCAD not resigned.
Reinhart bottom 10 HSCA D
Nurse bottom 5 HSCAD

CGy had
2 Bottom 40 HSCA D
Brodie
Giordano

2 bottom 20 HSCAD
Engeland
Russell

2 bottom 10 HSCAD
Wideman
Hamilton

Oilers
Traded for
Larsson
top 10 Comp
top 10 HSCAD
top 10 SA/60 D
#1 EVGA D
top 15 PKGA D

PC said there are 15-17 #1 d in the game.

You get the D men that face
top 60 Comp
TOP 60 HSCAD
top 60 SA/60 D
you end up with 15-17 year to year.

it has zilch to do with the #10 Fwd even scoring pace of elite off D.

Wideman is a playoff killer!

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
A 40-55 point PP defenseman? Yes that's what he is. He's exactly what you guys need. No one needs that more than the Oilers actually. To acquire a legitimate top pairing guy is going to cost you Draisitl and Puljujarvi at minimum. You guys got a #2/#3 type for Taylor Hall. Imagine the cost of a defenseman who can score like Wideman and also plays defense at a top pairing level.

Thanks for your heart-felt concern but we are good thanks. There are 28 other teams you can trade Wideman to. Try them. :)

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
Sure it makes sense for the Oilers.

But, I want no part in helping the Flames out of their apparent cap situation to sign Johnny and Monahan. I want my rivals to suffer..and expect them to feel the same way :D

Dmen you want on PP:
1. a elite power shot like Weber
2. PP QB that yeileds Top end PPGF

Everyone knows Davidson has a power shot.
They tried his shot on PP for a period of time.
Dmen PPG/60 rank 15-16
#1 Weber
#2 Faulk
#3 Spurgeon
#4 Doughty
#5 Giordano
Davidson PPG/60 would be #1 with qualified minutes.
I hope he gets Legite minutes on PP.

Selera
#30 PPP/60
#25 PPGF/60
Would just like to see Davidson and Sekera get 3.5 to 4 minutes a night on PP.

Wideman is a
Brutal
HSCA /60 D
SA/60 D
resulting in awful
GA/60 D.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008

300 forwards generate equal or better ffence than the top 5 EVP/60 Dmen.
Can you guess who you needs to have the puck ASAP?

there are 30 shot sin a game.
10.5 are HSCA shots.
Dmen cause the shot count to vary from 7.5 to 13.5
75% of goals come from these 10.5 shots.
So the difference between worst and best is a 33.3% reduction in expected GA.

PC traded the taylor hall
For
Larsson
top 10 HSCAD
top 10 SA/60 D
#1 Expected EVGA D
#10 Expected PKGA D in game.

he supplanted Doughty as the Best Defender of the net in the game.

Pk Subban
Bottom 60 HSCAD
#165 SA/60 D
3rd pairing Level Expected EVGA D

Weber
#3 HSCAD
Top 90 Sa/60 D
Getting away from Josi should see his SA numbers return to top 50
meaning that Cup caliber net protection in front of the best HSCA save% goalie in the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad