Why was Spencer Knight fully game dressed and participating in handshake line ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
That was really bizarre.

The guy that did not play a single game this season was in full gear participating in handshake line and cup celebration.

I get the team likely wants to support him, but he could’ve been just dressed in a suit and celebrated with the team like other scratches (if there were any )

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Just took a quick peek at the Avs 2022 celebration and Justus Annunen was in full pads and lifted the Cup.

Not sure when it became a thing, but the healthy scratches being geared up has been normal for awhile. Saw a few other Panthers healthy scratches on the ice in full gear (Jonah Gadjovich, Uvis Balinskis, Josh Mahura, among others).

Looking back at 2003, Joe Nieuwendyk didn't suit up in the Finals due to injury, but appears to be in full gear for the Cup celebration. Oleg Tverdovsky appears to be in full gear (maybe not wearing shoulder pads in 2003) for his two Cups and he was a healthy scratch in both of the deciding games.

Last edited:

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
On a side note Anthony Stolatz gets his name on the Cup and has only played in one NHL playoff game for 35 minutes giving up 3 goals.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022

Just took a quick peek at the Avs 2022 celebration and Justus Annunen was in full pads and lifted the Cup.

Not sure when it became a thing, but the healthy scratches being geared up has been normal for awhile. Saw a few other Panthers healthy scratches on the ice in full gear (Jonah Gadjovich, Uvis Balinskis, Josh Mahura, among others).

Looking back at 2003, Joe Nieuwendyk didn't suit up in the Finals due to injury, but appears to be in full gear for the Cup celebration. Oleg Tverdovsky appears to be in full gear (maybe not wearing shoulder pads in 2003) for his two Cups and he was a healthy scratch in both of the deciding games.

Most of these guys at least played a game for them though. Knight was an AHLer all year. Woulda kinda be like Ducks bringing out Bobby Ryan in 07 in full gear.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Most of these guys at least played a game for them though. Knight was an AHLer all year. Woulda kinda be like Ducks bringing out Bobby Ryan in 07 in full gear.

Quick scan of the Ducks handshake line and I think I spotted Sebastian Caron in full gear. Caron played part of one game for Anaheim, not sure that’s much better. Knight at least has played in the past for the Panthers.

Tl;dr yes it looks weird but teams have been doing it for awhile

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Quick scan of the Ducks handshake line and I think I spotted Sebastian Caron in full gear. Caron played part of one game for Anaheim, not sure that’s much better. Knight at least has played in the past for the Panthers.

Tl;dr yes it looks weird but teams have been doing it for awhile
I feel like part of one game is better than none because they at least can say they were part of the team during the year and can claim to help the team in some way. 0 GP and going out in full gear kinda seems wrong to me. I've personally never seen it before but hey there's NFL teams that give SB rings to guys that were traded the same year so at least Knight is still an employee of the team that won the championship.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Watch the Hawks beat the Bruins (2013) yesterday on NHL network and all Hawk scratches were in uniform for the celebration and hand shake line.
That was Chicago’s “Chara cup” victory made possible by Chara sucking and being directly responsible for 2 of the 3 Hawk goals.

• Haha
Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
A lotta whining in this thread. He's the 3rd string goalie, part of the black aces group. They deservedly get their moment with the cup too. Being out there in full gear makes for a helluva better memory than being in a suit, and I can assure you the main roster guys don't give a shit. A lot of you have never played team sports and it shows

he could’ve been just dressed in a suit and celebrated with the team like other scratches (if there were any )
All the scratches were dressed to skate with the cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad