Why was Nail Yakupov a bust?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com please DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
As everyone mentioned, he had all the tools but no toolbox.

But there's more than that, I genuinely think he did work his butt off (at least later in his career) and the talent was obviously there. But a mixture between poor coaching early in his career, not being very coachable/poor English, and most importantly he was unable to get past the mental hurdle and gain his confidence back.

He would've benefited greatly from an extra year or two developing and honestly, not being drafted 1st overall.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
He would've gone like 5th or 6th in the draft if he was a year younger, and would've been hard pressed to crack the top ten if he was a year older. It was a tremendously shit draft. It was known at the time that it was going to be a shit draft, but he and Galchenyuk(who got injured during his draft year) were the only guys that appeared to have star potential at all. Really only Forsberg and arguably Reilly can be called stars from that draft. Cody Ceci has played the second most games FFS. Nobody would remember him so poorly if he was a 6th overall pick. Those go sideways pretty regularly. He just had the misfortune of being the most exciting player in a dreadful year.
In 2011 and in 2012 everyone talked about how much better it was than the 2011 draft. It turned out to be shitty in retrospect, not at the time.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Pretty much everything has been covered BUT I would add that he was in a bad situation with the supporting cast he had. He was an outsider among the young guns like Hall, Ebs, Nuge and Schultz. They did this thing on the Oilers website called something like “how well do you know your teammate”. Naturally all of the young guns new all kinds of details about each other, but when they asked about Yak, it wasn’t just that they didn’t know anything about him, but they gave snarky, sarcastic answers.

I think he was living on an island in that dressing room. It was a toxic environment. Low confidence, Dallas Eakins as a coach, lack of leadership. The worst possible place for him to land. I kinda feel bad for him.

Sep 18, 2009
He
Pretty much everything has been covered BUT I would add that he was in a bad situation with the supporting cast he had. He was an outsider among the young guns like Hall, Ebs, Nuge and Schultz. They did this thing on the Oilers website called something like “how well do you know your teammate”. Naturally all of the young guns new all kinds of details about each other, but when they asked about Yak, it wasn’t just that they didn’t know anything about him, but they gave snarky, sarcastic answers.

I think he was living on an island in that dressing room. It was a toxic environment. Low confidence, Dallas Eakins as a coach, lack of leadership. The worst possible place for him to land. I kinda feel bad for him.
Oilers wow

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
The Oilers had zero clue how to properly develop prospects back then, and he didn't have a very coachable personality.

So a terrible mix of a team that didn't really know how to properly build up young players into complete NHL players, and a guy who would've struggled rounding out his game in the first place due to being a hard guy to coach.

Reactions: Brookbank

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
I don't think Oilers org or being 'rushed' had anything to do with it. I thought it was purely a translation issue the way he played.

he was either gonna be high end star or bust hard. he would do crazy things @ Sarnia like go end to end after cutting back in the neutral zone and then turning back up the ice after shaking a backchecker among other things.

you better be generationally special if that's gonna work in the NHL, he wasn't quite that. and he just couldn't adapt in the NHL, it's hard when you have that gif and suddenly it's really restricted agaist the best in the world. Plus the poor hockey sense and maybe a language/culture barrier he really just flopped as time went on in the NHL.

seemed like a good kid, i don't think he was lazy or unwilling, he just couldnt.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He came into the league with a great skillset but did not put the right kind of work in. He did training the way he wanted and even didn't even follow along in practices or listen to coaches. I don't care who you are. You won't go far with that. Even McDavid makes effort to gel with the whole team and staff.

He was a great human being in Edmonton btw. He had a fun personality and did things like take homeless people to dinner. It's a bit of tragedy it didn't work out. A pure sniper winger with McDavid and Draisaitl? He couldn't have inherited a better opportunity

Reactions: Look Up

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
The Oilers had zero clue how to properly develop prospects back then, and he didn't have a very coachable personality.

So a terrible mix of a team that didn't really know how to properly build up young players into complete NHL players, and a guy who would've struggled rounding out his game in the first place due to being a hard guy to coach.

so, a mentally weak mind.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
One dimensional scoring winger who opposing D didn't take long to figure out. He never seemed overly willing to add elements to his game to extend his NHL career.

People say the Oilers ruined him, but the Blues and Avs didn't seem to rub off on him either.

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
There’s an inherent risk drafting these small crash and bang skilled forwards. Another older case was Gilbert Brule. When I saw Yakupov in Sarnia, I could tell this was risky but no one was talking about it. So I just followed the flow like everyone else. Probably many believed the same thing but no one spoke up.

I struggled to recall a comparison to Yakupov. He’s actually a guy I enjoyed watching.

All you had to say was “Gilbert Brule.”

I never considered the similarities, but they’re there. Good eye!

Reactions: shello

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
One interview I'll always remember in hid first year, reporter asked Nail what he has to do to get better, and Nail said "nothing".

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
More like: Why was he hyped so much to begin with?

What was he great at? Maybe skating fast?

He didn't have the hockey IQ to be an NHL star when his tools weren't all that special.
To be fair it was a pretty poor draft class but someone always has to go 1st overall and that creates its own kind of hype. Can be hard comparing different years but at the time of the draft he's probably comparable to say Filip Zadina, but there's a huge difference in perception between a 1st overall and a 6th overall busting even though draft class aside they could be equivalent players.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
as a canuck fan watching the rival prospect at the time....

so for one he wasn't big, small... not that small players can't thrive in the NHL. He lacked foot speed, for a guy who is small, and lacked foot speed. so he lacked foot speed and size. He was a perimeter player and was literally scared to get into the dirty areas. now being perimeter player doens't mean hes bad too. The Sedins were also perimeter players, but at the same time, when it matters most, they were fearless and not afraid to get into the "dirty" areas. Yakupov avoided the dirty areas like a plague and that caught onto him. I knew he wasn't going to turn into much very early on.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Here’s an interesting interview he did last year.

Any highlights? Video is 85 mins long

E: around 22:00 he addresses Brian Burke’s comments about his pre-draft interview if anyone’s interested to hear his side

Last edited:

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
as a canuck fan watching the rival prospect at the time....

so for one he wasn't big, small... not that small players can't thrive in the NHL. He lacked foot speed, for a guy who is small, and lacked foot speed. so he lacked foot speed and size. He was a perimeter player and was literally scared to get into the dirty areas. now being perimeter player doens't mean hes bad too. The Sedins were also perimeter players, but at the same time, when it matters most, they were fearless and not afraid to get into the "dirty" areas. Yakupov avoided the dirty areas like a plague and that caught onto him. I knew he wasn't going to turn into much very early on.

His foot speed was fine and he wasn't scared to go to the dirty area's. His problem is he had no hockey IQ, he didn't know where to be positionally or how to find his teammates.

I also think it was just a really bad draft year. Edmonton could have taken any of the top 4 guys picked and they would all be considered busts. Some good defensemen ended up getting picked, but it was a horrible year for forwards.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015

Why was Nail Yakupov a bust?​

You could've just read any of the already existing threads which deal with the same subject.

• Haha
Reactions: Shark Finn

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
His foot speed was fine and he wasn't scared to go to the dirty area's. His problem is he had no hockey IQ, he didn't know where to be positionally or how to find his teammates.

I also think it was just a really bad draft year. Edmonton could have taken any of the top 4 guys picked and they would all be considered busts. Some good defensemen ended up getting picked, but it was a horrible year for forwards.

Yakupov seemed like the kind of player that wasn’t “coachable”, decent speed, decent hands, decent physicality. But he just never improved or put it together. He kept his junior play style in a league of men. I don’t solely think he had a lack of hockey IQ to play, I also think he was reluctant to evolve his game to the NHL.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The main problem with Yakupov's NHL career was that he simply wasn't an exceptional hockey player. I really don't know what the Oilers (in that awful Steve Tambellini period) were thinking. Sure, he was likely to go in the first round to somebody, but as a 1st overall choice, he was an odd one. I remember watching him play -- it was, like, his third NHL game or something -- and my opinion after one game was, "This guy sucks". And nothing I saw over the next few seasons altered my opinion. (And he actually had a statistically decent rookie year, but I thought he was a whole lot of nothing.) Yakupov was a good skater, but so what? So are 90% of NHL-ers. He had terrible hands and could not process hockey at NHL speed.

A secondary issue with Yakupov -- as Brian Burke crowed (as usual) in pointing out -- is that he had a bit of weird attitude and psychological make-up. This (understandably) scared away some other NHL franchises from drafting him. Giving interviews where he said there was "nothing" he needed to improve didn't exactly endear him to fans / media / teammates.

Finally, a third, if lesser, factor in Yakupov's poor NHL transition was the Oilers firing coach Ralph Krueger after Yakupov's short rookie season. Not that Yakupov did anything amazing as a rookie, but he scored enough and had a big enough role that his confidence wasn't shot yet. But just four months into his NHL career the Oilers hired a new GM (MacT) who fired the coach (by Skype) and hired... Dallas Eakins. With very young players who are struggling, sometimes changes coaches in mid-stream can be a disaster, and it was with Yakupov.

Of my three points, though, that third one is relatively unimportant. Yakupov could have been drafed by any NHL franchise and he would have struggled to succeed.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Here’s an interesting interview he did last year.

Thanks for linking that interview. I'm watching it now and it's very interesting.

Boy, one thing to say about Yakupov -- and I say this based on this interview -- is that his psychology clearly was very fragile. I mean, he says this himself numerous times in the interview. He says things like (in his rookie year) he sometimes wanted to be alone, in the dark, and not talk to anyone.

The way he describes the team-interviews before the NHL draft and the draft itself, you'd think he was talking about D-Day or something. He talks about how nervous and anxious he constantly was. It really becomes clear from these kind of interviews with players that some young athletes are just genetically programmed to deal with pressure / celebrity / expectations, and some young athletes are NOT. Yakupov, very obviously, the latter type. (Per his odd personality, he also seems weirdly fixated on several surface-level type of things in the NHL, like the lifestyle, free cars, and 5-star-type travel.)

He also says in the interview that he didn't speak English well at draft-time or his rookie year, and this limited him as well. For example, he says that former 1st-overall picks Nugent-Hopkins and Taylor Hall didn't offer him any advice or try to help him, because basically they couldn't communicate with him. (Conversely, he also says that playing NHL hockey in Canada is heavenly, as everything is so first-class all the way.) Weirdest of all (to me), he says that during his rookie year, when Nikolai Khabibulin was his teammate, he didn't speak to Khabibulin until there were 10 games left in the season (!). They were country-men, together in Edmonton, and he didn't speak to Khabibulin.

Interesting fellow.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Weirdest of all (to me), he says that during his rookie year, when Nikolai Khabibulin was his teammate, he didn't speak to Khabibulin until there were 10 games left in the season (!). They were country-men, together in Edmonton, and he didn't speak to Khabibulin.
Might be explained by that being a lockout year and Khabibulin struggling with injuries once the season did commence. For a rookie to disturb a veteran goalie in rehab might not be that obvious.

Reactions: Brookbank

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad