News Article: Why the time has come for the Leafs to name a captain

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
SIMMONS: Who’s No. 5 all-time: Beliveau or Sid The Kid?
This is how I would handle the Maple Leafs captaincy: If the belief in the front office is that Mike Babcock is the coach for this year and long after that, it’s easy, you name either John Tavares or Morgan Rielly captain. Those are Babcock guys. If you believe Babcock is on the ropes, you wait and name Auston Matthews captain after the coach is gone. You don’t want a captain now who has questioned how the coach has utilized him.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Reilly should be the Captain. I like Marner too but with the contract being so contentious not sure it make sense and then there is the issue with naming Marner or Matthews.

Reilly C
Matthews A
Marner A

Had Matthews signed a 8 year deal I would have thrown the C on him, that is all I will say about that.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
I don't know how you don't give this to the guy who:
  • Is signed to the longest contract on the team
  • Came home willingly despite receiving much flack
  • Has been a captain in the OHL, CHL Top Prospects Team, NHL, and voted captain by the players for the Metro All-Star team
  • Is the oldest, most mature high-end player on the team
  • Is by far the coolest under pressure of any player on the team, and maybe the league
You all know who this is.
Agree... it's between JT and Reilly for me.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
TO had a very poor 2nd half of the season last year, it was so bad that if it had been all year TO wouldn't have made the playoffs, would've finished about 7th worst.

TO didn't have a captain and from what I saw no single player pushed their peers to be better, maybe I'm wrong, but if someone did the results weren't there. I assume TO doesn't have a captain because that leader type isn't there. Leaders assume the role, they don't need a C to be stitched on their uniform to lead.

I thought that Marner for about 1/2 of last season was the most impressive and motivated player TO had, he looked like a player who lead by example.

TO actually regressed with JT, went from 105 points to 100 points, that's not the results I'd expect if he was an actual leader.

Reactions: hotpaws

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
IMO, there are only 2 guys that show the leadership quality on and off the ice that is worthy of captaincy. Those 2 guys are Tavares and Rielly. Give it one of them and be done with it. I'd personally give it to JT.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
TO had a very poor 2nd half of the season last year, it was so bad that if it had been all year TO wouldn't have made the playoffs, would've finished about 7th worst.

TO didn't have a captain and from what I saw no single player pushed their peers to be better, maybe I'm wrong, but if someone did the results weren't there. I assume TO doesn't have a captain because that leader type isn't there. Leaders assume the role, they don't need a C to be stitched on their uniform to lead.

I thought that Marner for about 1/2 of last season was the most impressive and motivated player TO had, he looked like a player who lead by example.

TO actually regressed with JT, went from 105 points to 100 points, that's not the results I'd expect if he was an actual leader.
I'm not sure what the point of bringing this up is? Last time I checked the season is 82 games, not 41. Hell, need I bring up St.Louis and Tampa Bay's seasons? If you don't think Tavares made Marner better(25 point increase), then I don't think anyone could ever satisfy you in terms of who can make players better .

As for regressing with Tavares? That's incredibly absurd and just willful ignorance . The Leafs actually had a higher ROW this season than the previous season by 4. In 17-18 season, the Leafs played 19 games that went to overtime with 7 shootout wins. In 18-19 season, the Leafs played 14 games that went into overtime with 0 shootout wins. That accounts for the points lost between the two seasons. Also, every team in the East except Tampa, had less points than the teams who made the playoffs the previous season. Pittsburgh had the same points, but dropped in the standings. So , it wasn't just Toronto who dropped points this year.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
For me it's got to be Rielly for C.

Longest on the Leafs now that Kadri is gone. Already acts like he's the captain on the ice with the refs (he seems to talk to them about penalties and other things the most)

Great with the media (so is JT)

Avoid choosing between Matthews and JT. Also Matthews does not seem like he enjoys talking to the media.

Have your best Dman be captain and JT and Matthews A's

Might help on Rielly's next contract if he's the captain, he might want to sign a fair deal out of loyalty.

Just makes sense to me. JT would be my second choice. No captain would be my third choice.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Tavares or rielly. Likely JT. He's got the experience and skill. Rielly is the next oldest out of the prospects de captaincy.

I'd name JT C with
Rielly A
And Matthews or Marner the other A.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
I recall Ferraro (I believe) saying during last season that Rielly is a guy in the dressing room that seems to be generally well liked by everyone, and that he goes out of his way to engage everyone in the room.

That embodies some real leadership there.

I'm all for Captain Mo ... Captain JT wouldn't be bad either. Matthews would be understandable but I'm not sure if he's there yet.

Either way I do believe it's time, this season, for the Leafs to pick that captain and identity.

Captain Morgan...good god I can see where this will go if it happens lmao...the new official drink of the Maple Leafs...Captain Morgan Spiced Rum...because when you play in this division with Boston and Tampa Bay sometimes you just need a stiff drink lol

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto

Really?

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Still think Matthews gets named Captain before the start of the season.
He's our best player and face of the franchise. My pick would be Rielly, but it'll definitely be Matthews IMO.

Also feel as though Tavares doesn't want it. During the interviews they said Matthews was one of the guys they Leafs used to convince Tavares and afterwards the media tried to drum up a feud between them. I feel as though Tavares is fine playing 2nd fiddle to Matthews and helping him out along the way.
That's just the feeling I got while watching the interviews with both of them after the signing and stuff.
Matthews is being shown as the guy, he seems to be able to handle the Toronto media perfectly.

Being named Captain and King in the North may make it harder for him to walk in 5 years as well :sarcasm:

That's a Raptors thing my dude...too many other Canadian franchises to make that claim...

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

:facepalm:
Wrong on basically all accounts.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Well, he hasn't been a captain since he turned pro.
How many players aren't popular in the room and how would anyone truly know unless they're in the room?

He might make a decent captain, and he has had media attention for years so that wouldn't be an issue.

Probably needs a little more maturity.

Garret Sparks lol just saying

Reactions: ULF_55

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
  • Has won 1 playoff series in his 10yr career
  • Isn't the best player on his team
  • Isn't the best center on his team

:facepalm: Zeke they don't have to be the most skilled player on the team to be a captain, I know you know this lol :wedgie: lmao
seeing as you know this I don't feel a need to go horribly in depth here but it's the guy who is:
staying late in the gym or practice
staying composed in big moments
can accurately gauge the team (figurative kick in the a$$ or a more conversational tone)
has earned respect in the league from Refs and players alike
Can handle the fishbowl media that is Toronto
can help the coaching staff get their game plan across to the team as a whole and elicit buy in from guys

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
I think if the plan was for Tavares to be captain, it would've happened by now.

i dont necessarily disagree with you but i really hope they dont pile the wait of the world on matthews shoulders. i dont know what good will come from naming him the captain. it will only give him an even bigger opinion of himself.

If they dont feel tavares is the guy, it might make sense to give it to rielly. he has pedigreee, performance and history with the organization. from everything i see of him he also conducts himself as a gentleman and does not get into off ice shtick.

personally i would be ok with rielly or tavares, i just dont think matthews is developed enough as a leader right now. i dont know how veterans like muzzin and barrie would be at taking his lead.

Reactions: Garthinater

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Odd that the captaincy hasn't been a hot topic this offseason. It's pretty low-hanging fruit for the media and fans to make a controversy over, but people don't seem to care that much.

Is it because they have like, 3-4 solid options and can't really go wrong?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $260.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $40.00