Why the Maple Leafs Bought Out Grabovski

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Hopefully tonight will put to rest the Grabovski talk...

http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/blogs/jonas_siegel/?id=437341

"Again, the notion that there wasn't ice-time available for him or opportunity last year, that's just false," Nonis said of Grabovski, who averaged nearly 16 minutes last season, his lowest as a Leaf. "I think it was more a situation where the fit just wasn't right. And it wasn't his fault. I don't think he ever shortchanged us on effort or being prepared or professionalism or any of those things. There just didn't seem to be a fit. And so to have that much cap space tied up with a player that wasn't fitting with us - it doesn't mean he's not going to fit with other teams, obviously he is - but that's what led to the decision to buy him out."

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
very good article and what most of us were saying to begin with.
it wasn't anything against Grabo - he simply didn't fit the culture/dynamic that we had now.

Shake his hand, wish him well, and move on.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
I said this in the Clarkson vs Grabbo thread.

You pay for fit - not skill sometimes. If one plays better in our system so be it

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
I would've preferred they try to make it fit, rather than just lose him for nothing other than cap space so that they could sign Bozo and Clarkson.

Carlyle has a stubbornness about him that might go a bit too far at times. Look how he handled Lupul in Anaheim. It's one thing to be buried on the depth chart, but a whole other thing to simply waste talent away. Shuffle players around a bit, see if they excel in top line situations. Test their hunger. Don't be so set in your ways. If it doesn't work, you can go back. And do it with the select few that have the potential talent to succeed.

I still remember that shootout last yr at home vs Winnipeg when it went ridiculously deep, and guys like Phaneuf and Franson took shots, and Grabo didn't. That spoke volumes about Carlyle's stubbornness IMO.

I think a top line of Lupul/JVR-Grabo-Kessel would be much more effective than having Bozo in the middle. Pretty sure a lot of fans would agree.

CellarDweller0

Feb 19, 2010
Mississauga
Easy way to look at it and the Clarkson is a possession Grabo is a turnover machine. Imagine how bad turn overs would be with the with Grabo in the line up

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I would've preferred they try to make it fit, rather than just lose him for nothing other than cap space so that they could sign Bozo and Clarkson.

Carlyle has a stubbornness about him that might go a bit too far at times. Look how he handled Lupul in Anaheim. It's one thing to be buried on the depth chart, but a whole other thing to simply waste talent away. Shuffle players around a bit, see if they excel in top line situations. Test their hunger. Don't be so set in your ways. If it doesn't work, you can go back. And do it with the select few that have the potential talent to succeed.

I still remember that shootout last yr at home vs Winnipeg when it went ridiculously deep, and guys like Phaneuf and Franson took shots, and Grabo didn't. That spoke volumes about Carlyle's stubbornness IMO.

I think a top line of Lupul/JVR-Grabo-Kessel would be much more effective than having Bozo in the middle. Pretty sure a lot of fans would agree.

I'm pretty sure Grabo got benched in that game. That is why he didn't shoot

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Yup. Pretty much what most rational people have been saying. Good player but just didn't fit here and I totally agree with his buyout.

leafstilldeath*

I said this in the Clarkson vs Grabbo thread.

You pay for fit - not skill sometimes. If one plays better in our system so be it

I would agree with this if the term wasn't too long. It will only be good if Carlyle was to stick for that long as well if not then new coach and new system. Assuming we are able to trade Clarkson then it would be fine but if I am not mistaken he has a NTC and so another buyout would be an only option.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Didn't fit the team philosphy. Not the first time a player with talent has been traded/bought out despite that fact. People need to get over it.

leafstilldeath*

And Nonis was quoted yesterday saying that Carlyle did not ask for Grabo to be moved out of the team :laugh:.

Sure Nonis whatever you say :laugh:

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
I'm pretty sure Grabo got benched in that game. That is why he didn't shoot

Nope. In fact, he took 15 faceoffs, won 10.

The shootout is listed at the end. Embarrassing, IMO.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore;_ylt=Apr69F8uWKc919DQkijpyO7CfgM6?gid=2013031621

Make no mistake about it, Carlyle ruined Grabovski's potential to succeed, the "fit" reason is lame, and Nonis is backing up his coach, like any good GM would do. He bought out Grabo cause he knew Carlyle wasn't going to budge on Grabo's ice time and linemates. That's how I see it.

Bozak as the top centre is the right "fit"? Really?

C'mon man.

I hope MG scores a hat trick tonight and gives Carlyle the finger on his way off the ice.

Last edited:

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Didn't fit the team philosphy. Not the first time a player with talent has been traded/bought out despite that fact. People need to get over it.

Seems to me that the team philosophy that led the Leafs to their first playoffs in a decade was speed and skill.

They've overreacted to the game 7 loss.

leafstilldeath*

Seems to me that the team philosophy that led the Leafs to their first playoffs in a decade was speed and skill.

They've overreacted to the game 7 loss.

:nod::nod::nod:

The problem was:

1) The system when defending a lead (still is) - vs Boston in Game 7 points were left open. I recall Grapes making a comment about that in Game 6.

2) Reimer terrible rebound control

3) Dion either gassed or had given up. Lucic goal was because of both Reimer and Dion's fault

So yea...Over reaction indeed!

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Nope. In fact, he took 15 faceoffs, won 10.

The shootout is listed at the end. Embarrassing, IMO.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore;_ylt=Apr69F8uWKc919DQkijpyO7CfgM6?gid=2013031621

Make no mistake about it, Carlyle ruined Grabovski's potential to succeed, the "fit" reason is lame, and Nonis is backing up his coach, like any good GM would do. He bought out Grabo cause he knew Carlyle wasn't going to budge on his Grabo's ice time and linemates. That's how I see it.

Bozak as the top centre is the right "fit"? Really?

C'mon man.

I hope he scores a hat trick and give Carlyle the finger on his way off the ice.

Yes, Grabo played with Kessel MANY TIMES and they couldn't do anything together. They had no chemistry. With Kadri's breakout season and emerging as the #2 centre, Grabo had to be moved as there was no longer any room for him here. He was bad as a 3rd liner and I sure didn't want him and his 5.5M cap hit there either.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
As for Grabovski now, I don't miss him. I don't respect any player that badmouths a coach or organization after leaving. Same goes with MacArthur. Have some class.

leafstilldeath*

Yes, Grabo played with Kessel MANY TIMES and they couldn't do anything together. They had no chemistry. With Kadri's breakout season and emerging as the #2 centre, Grabo had to be moved as there was no longer any room for him here. He was bad as a 3rd liner and I sure didn't want him and his 5.5M cap hit there either.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

What games were you watching?

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Yes, Grabo played with Kessel MANY TIMES and they couldn't do anything together.

Whilst I agree with the assessment of Grabo being gone, this point is not true. It was tested for approximately four games in the 10 -11 season where it didn't work and literally done zero times in seasons that followed. In fact, they actually scored many goals together (three in OT) during simple line changes in the following years.

The issue everyone has is that while it didn't work when it was tried very briefly, it was tested when both players were inferior to what they are now.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

That made me cringe a bit...9m for Bozak/Clarkson...not sure that's a great spend...

The money tied up in Bozo and Clarkson makes me shake my head. I'm still not happy that Grabo was bought out but at least if they spent their available cap space smart in the off season I would feel better about it.

Jun 27, 2005
The worst part is the $3.875M in cap space being wasted on Liles who could have been bought out instead of Grabs.

Bozak+Clarkson+Liles vs Grabo +$8.5M cap

Easy choice. Nonis messed up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad