Why the Bruins Should Re-Sign Pending Free Agent Forward Danton Heinen to a Multi-Year Extension

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mark Allred

heinen.jpg

( Photo Credit: Dan Hamilton-USA TODAY Sports )

Pending free agent forward Danton Heinen bet on himself in a story of perseverance, earning a one-year deal after rejoining a Boston Bruins team that selected him in the fourth found in 2014.
With his solid play last year, was that enough for the B's to bring him back on a cap-friendly two-year extension to keep the versatile forward around longer?

Check out my article below for the Black N' Gold Productions writing team. In the thread below, let me hear your thoughts, particularly the possible term and dollar value that you'd like to see a deal get done or not. Thanks in advance!

https://blackngoldhockey.com/2024/0...ward-danton-heinen-to-a-multi-year-extension/

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
View attachment 876365
( Photo Credit: Dan Hamilton-USA TODAY Sports )

Pending free agent forward Danton Heinen bet on himself in a story of perseverance, earning a one-year deal after rejoining a Boston Bruins team that selected him in the fourth found in 2014.
With his solid play last year, was that enough for the B's to bring him back on a cap-friendly two-year extension to keep the versatile forward around longer?

Check out my article below for the Black N' Gold Productions writing team. In the thread below, let me hear your thoughts, particularly the possible term and dollar value that you'd like to see a deal get done or not. Thanks in advance!

Why the Bruins Should Re-Sign Pending Free Agent Forward Danton Heinen to a Multi-Year Extension

What contract would YOU offer him?

Reactions: Mark Allred

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
A player that can fill almost any roll and do it pretty well is worth 1.5 X 2

Some sucker GM will pay him more and the B’s can’t afford it, IMO.

Probably 2.0/2.5 x 2

Last edited:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
$1 to $1.5 for the next two years. I'd even stretch it to $2 million but nothing more when a bulk of the available cap space will be needed to address higher needs

I posted this the other day and I’m as adamant about it now.

They keep saying they want to improve. If they are being honest, they need 2 forwards via UFA and JDB or a replacement.

That tells me the top 6 should be:

Marchand, Pasta, Zacha, JDB/replacement, UFA, UFA

Third line would be:

Freddie, Coyle, Geekie

Cheap physical 4th line:

Lauko - Beecher - Brazeau

(Combined under 2.8)

I don’t see the fit, at all.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Hard pass.

Hey if we didn't creampuff our way to a 2-shot/period shit-kicking at the hands of the Panthers, I'd be all for re-signing Heinen. He was better than Jake DeBrusk this year and he was a PTO who stuck it out to contribute. Nothing but compliments for a guy I thought would frustrate me.

But don't you DARE roll this back out again. No thank you very much. You have an opportunity to ice a real contender next season. Seize it or GTFO.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

They keep saying they want to improve. If they are being honest, they need 2 forwards via UFA and JDB or a replacement.

Third line would be:

Freddie, Coyle, Geekie

Cheap physical 4th line:

(Combined under 2.8)

You play Heinen over Lauko every single day of the week. Provided he’s affordable he’s a no brainer to sign as 13F at worst.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
IMO, it depends on who Sweeney adds this summer.
Getting a 1C means we move Zacha to the wing.
Losing DeBrusk means we have a wing open.
The lineup can change dramatically depending on who is added in UFA/Trade and who they want to keep in the lineup from last season.

I think its going to come down to late summer once Don has a clue what his opening night roster will look like. If there is still room for a middle 6 forward then yes I think he offers Woodstock a contract. I do not think he will be a priority given how many middle 6 forwards Boston has atm.

Reactions: Gordoff

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
You play Heinen over Lauko every single day of the week. Provided he’s affordable he’s a no brainer to sign as 13F at worst.
Not if he costs three times as much, you don't. I don't think he's taking another league minimum deal.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I think he gets a multi-year offer from another team with a raise from last season's AAV.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I would also play him over Brazeau but its a tougher call.
I see Heinen as the utility man which adds value. He's the guy that fills in when virtually any forward goes down for any period of time. He goes into a more prominent role when holding a lead in Th ge third.
I would give him 2x2 today. I think the Bruins will be more modest with their offer.
We shall see what happens.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I think hes trying to get money and term elsewhere. I'd offer him something like the deal Wagner got a few years ago where it wasn't a hgue hit if we buried him. 3 years 4 mil or so.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Reality is, in their 187 minutes together EV, the numbers say Heinen-Zacha-Pasta was by far and away the Bruins best line last year. Their numbers compared to Marchand-Zacha-Pasta (with nearly the exact same minutes BTW) are significantly better and that line was still pretty good.

Anyone saying this player doesn't fit or whatever, is bull-shit. There is clearly a useful player here. He was Pasta's best opposite winger last year. So somehow he can play opposite Boston's best player, but can't play on a different line? Please.

I'm not saying he's a lock to bring back, obviously a lot of factors at play including what he's looking for term and dollars. But there is no denying the Bruins could find excellent value on an extension with him.

I'm not bullish on bringing him back, I'm OK if he goes elsewhere. But for Boston to disregard it and already decide to move on if he's interested in staying, would be a mistake. In a cap system guys like Heinen are useful to any team.

bp14

Mar 17, 2022
I 100% re-sign him. He was a clear top 9 forward and all over the puck all the time. Great hockey sense just no finish. Seems like any team could use that kind of guy. Can play up and down the lineup and gives you a solid effort every night.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Reality is, in their 187 minutes together EV, the numbers say Heinen-Zacha-Pasta was by far and away the Bruins best line last year. Their numbers compared to Marchand-Zacha-Pasta (with nearly the exact same minutes BTW) are significantly better and that line was still pretty good.

Anyone saying this player doesn't fit or whatever, is bull-shit. There is clearly a useful player here. He was Pasta's best opposite winger last year. So somehow he can play opposite Boston's best player, but can't play on a different line? Please.

I'm not saying he's a lock to bring back, obviously a lot of factors at play including what he's looking for term and dollars. But there is no denying the Bruins could find excellent value on an extension with him.

I'm not bullish on bringing him back, I'm OK if he goes elsewhere. But for Boston to disregard it and already decide to move on if he's interested in staying, would be a mistake. In a cap system guys like Heinen are useful to any team.

Sometimes, for whatever reason lines go on runs, that won’t be replicated long term.

Pasta was on a tear in March and I don’t think I’m saying anything controversial when I say, I don’t think Danton Heinen was the driving force during that run.

Putting aside everything I’ve ever said about him, it comes down to this for me.

6 goals in 48 playoff games.

For a team that has done as poorly as they have in the playoffs recently, why bring back a guy who has proven to be unproductive when they need it most?

Someone else posted earlier…we have enough October to March guys.

Let’s find some April to June guys.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia

Third line would be:

Freddie, Coyle, Geekie

Cheap physical 4th line:

(Combined under 2.8)

I would not call that a Physical fourth line . I would want someone on the fourth line with some real snarl. Beecher for me has been a very disappointing player. I guess we can hope he develops into more ,but at present for a player of his size and speed soft is how I would describe him. Lauko is certainly not an intimidating player just does not have the size

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I 100% re-sign him. He was a clear top 9 forward and all over the puck all the time. Great hockey sense just no finish. Seems like any team could use that kind of guy. Can play up and down the lineup and gives you a solid effort every night.

When you have 21+ million to spend….why are we wasting a spot on anyone who, as you say, has no finish?

Especially in the top 9.

Not taking advantage of this off season to improve significantly, will be worse than what happened in 2015…because at least in 2015, they were dealing with 18 year olds.

Not 24-30 year olds, who we pretty much know what they are.

I would not call that a Physical fourth line . I would want someone on the fourth line with some real snarl. Beecher for me has been a very disappointing player. I guess we can hope he develops into more ,but at present for a player of his size and speed soft is how I would describe him. Lauko is certainly not an intimidating player just does not have the size

I won’t argue there.

I guess I’ll just say they are, or can be, physical for todays NHL.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Pasta was on a tear in March and I don’t think I’m saying anything controversial when I say, I don’t think Danton Heinen was the driving force during that run.

Let’s find some April to June guys.

Pasta drove that line. No question. But even the eye test said the line was working. And I'm not even saying to run it back, or that Heinen is a 1st line player, or whatever. What I'm saying is he's the type of player who can pretty much play with anyone, just a smart hockey player.

The Bruins did come a win away from a cup with Heinen as a 3rd line fixture. He played well on that run and he wasn't even being utilized to his fullest potential as he didn't kill penalties then.

You still need guys to help get you to the dance. It's one big marathon, September to June. One of the fatal flaws of last year's team was how heavily the top guys got used because of a lack of depth and trust among forwards #10, #11 and #12 on any given night. Heavy use in Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan hurts you come April/May/June. Heinen back on a good contract makes this team deeper. Obviously the number/term has to be right.

No team has 18-20 "April to June" guys. And you will have injuries guys like Heinen become even more useful as they can play on any line, any role, both wings, and both special teams.

We'll see. I won't cry if he's brought back. I won't cry if he's not.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Pasta drove that line. No question. But even the eye test said the line was working. And I'm not even saying to run it back, or that Heinen is a 1st line player, or whatever. What I'm saying is he's the type of player who can pretty much play with anyone, just a smart hockey player.

The Bruins did come a win away from a cup with Heinen as a 3rd line fixture. He played well on that run and he wasn't even being utilized to his fullest potential as he didn't kill penalties then.

You still need guys to help get you to the dance. It's one big marathon, September to June. One of the fatal flaws of last year's team was how heavily the top guys got used because of a lack of depth and trust among forwards #10, #11 and #12 on any given night. Heavy use in Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan hurts you come April/May/June. Heinen back on a good contract makes this team deeper. Obviously the number/term has to be right.

No team has 18-20 "April to June" guys. And you will have injuries guys like Heinen become even more useful as they can play on any line, any role, both wings, and both special teams.

We'll see. I won't cry if he's brought back. I won't cry if he's not.

Fair enough.

I’ve just seen enough of him to be confident in saying he’s not a difference maker and what this team has proven to be lacking: secondary scoring and snarl, isn’t what he brings.

Maybe my hopes are too high for what they will do this summer, but I’ll be tremendously disappointed if they construct a team where he’s on the third line because that likely means that one of Frederic, Coyle or Geekie are on line 2.

And to be honest, I’d be happier with Heinen as a third liner here, than any of them as second liners.

Of course a million different things can happen between now and then, so I’ll reserve my angst for October, where I hope they give us a team that he’s not a part of.

But just for context, Barclay Goodrow has as many playoff goals this season as Heinen has in 48 career games.

They can do better than Heinen, IMO.

Reactions: BruinDust

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad