News Article: Why Pekka Rinne has been awful this season (must read)

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
excellent article. the numbers confirm what we know we've been seeing. really interesting showing we're not really giving up an abnormal amount of high quality chances, it's just that rinne hasn't been stopping them.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
excellent article. the numbers confirm what we know we've been seeing. really interesting showing we're not really giving up an abnormal amount of high quality chances, it's just that rinne hasn't been stopping them.

Rebound control, breakaways & 2 v 1, got to make at least 50% of those last 2 situations imo, because they don't happen too often during a game, tbqh.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
according to this guys stats, Rinne this year is roughly facing 12 low quality shots per game, 7 medium quality shots and 7 high quality shots. At the start of last year right up until his injury when he was so good, he was seeing about 15 low quality shots, about the same 7 medium quality shots, and slightly fewer high quality shots, about 5. From just the eye test, I believe these numbers to be damn close to what he says.

Note the spike in high quality shots happened the last third of the year when we (and he) struggled.

I find it really interesting looking at the save percentages on each type of shot. last year when he was so hot his low quality save % was almost perfect (which is basically a measure of soft goals), and now is about 97% which is about average.

The failings happen on medium and high save chances though. which again the eye test has confirmed to me.

On medium chances, which I would assume are mostly goal mouth scrambles and screened shots from the point he's at about 90%, when career wise he's always been around 93%

And on high percentage (mostly odd man rushes and some rebounds), he's right at 80%, probably near his overall career number here, but last year at his peak was around 87%

Those two areas pretty much summarize his year. One can use those numbers and figure if we could cut high scoring chances from 7 back to about 5 it would save us about .25 goals per game, which would be huge.

I Will Son

An Army of One
Feb 15, 2010
Nashville
Take it for what it's worth. But my friend works at Bridgestone and he told me that Rinnes GF left him and took all her things to Finland. Which he hasn't been taking too well.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Take it for what it's worth. But my friend works at Bridgestone and he told me that Rinnes GF left him and took all her things to Finland. Which he hasn't been taking too well.

mola-ram.jpg

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I heard some pretty rough details about what may have happened but it was from some random Finnish website. I have no idea how much of it is true or not.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I thought it was a very good read. I think Rinne's struggles this year are more mental than their are physical. Which is a good thing for a player his age.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
I thought it was a good article. Frankly, I think Rinne used to be at his best when he was getting absolutely shelled. It really seems like our shot suppression and possession advantage has thrown him a bit this year. No idea on the girlfriend matter; it can be a tough road and I wish him the best regardless of the cause.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
I heard some pretty rough details about what may have happened but it was from some random Finnish website. I have no idea how much of it is true or not.
There wasnt any rough stuff, it's been discussed here before. GF had life in Finland and didnt want to be just a hockey wife in NA. She is music artist who does music in Finnish and that music part is also why she wanted to be just in Finland.

gela

Dec 26, 2013
Nashville
There wasnt any rough stuff, it's been discussed here before. GF had life in Finland and didnt want to be just a hockey wife in NA. She is music artist who does music in Finnish and that music part is also why she wanted to be just in Finland.

Not what rough means in this context. Not many of us can read Finnish and the gossip rags via google translate can be difficult to understand.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki

Well considering how his family had no idea and the breakup came as a total surprise (they were more so expecting a wedding soon) i'd say there's a good chance the breakup was on the rougher side, we just don't know the details.

They were together for +10 years and for Pekka this woman must've been everything. She was with him from day 1 when Pekka started his NHL career and when they moved to NA.

I mean i can't imagine Pekka having too many Finnish friends in Nashville, and it's gotta suck to go to your empty house when there's no one to talk to.

In a breakup this sudden you go through all the "what could i have done differently" thoughts, and it's going to take a lot of time. I'd imagine this is tough for goalies since they have to be 100% on the mental side to play up to their level. If you're thinking about other stuff most of the time that has to have a huge affect.

Obviously im just speculating, but considering Pekka's body language and the vibe i've got from him this year, i'd say this could be pretty accurate.

But as always, time heals and when you get a spark of something new it heightens your mood. Hockey-wise the addition of Johansen and the team stringing together a few wins is huge for Pekka and must've given him a big moral boost. He's been smiling a lot more recently. And i feel like the all-star game is going to be a good time for him too.

He's had some tough times in the NHL these past few years but i believe he can still put together a great 2nd half and a couple full seasons.

But it's true i realized he's never been an elite goalie when it comes to high-quality shots which would explain why i have always had this feeling of "nahh, he's not quite up there with Lundqvist etc." when im having a conversation about goalies. I never really managed to explain why, but this does make sense. Just because his salary is what it is and he's had some great years stats-wise, that doesn't necessarily make him an elite goalie. No matter what happens in New York Lundqvist always puts up a 92+ save pct.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad