Why isn't Jakub Vrana on 1st or 2nd line?

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I'm not there yet. I'm getting increasingly closer, but I do think that we have shown genuine improvement in our defensive structure. I have an increasingly long list of complaints about Berube, but he has a gaudy ring from 2019 that (I believe justifiably) gives him a long leash and benefit of the doubt.

I'm not calling it inevitable yet. I'm still happy to give him another 20 games or so before forming an opinion about whether he is a lame duck.
Do you see any way he is the coach of the next cycle for the Blues? The guy to develop the young players coming in for a few years (maybe being replaced when the team is a contender, maybe not)?

I just see no way that's how it plays out. And I think Berube is actually a really good developmental coach. But I think coaches DO have a shelf life and he appears to have lost the thread in strategy. The defensive system last year was a wreck. Special teams were both terrible. What did the Blues do well? I know we can always upgrade players, but the coaching bears some responsibility there.

They actually do now on NHL edge. Vrana actually has the highest speed burst on the team this year at 22.75 mph, where Kyrou and Parayko are at 22.36 and 21.88mph respectively. The point is that he has the kind of speed that can't be taught, but what can be taught is how to use it to knife through the NZ and create rush offense. Hoffman didn't have anything close to that.
Whew! So he can retain trade value even if he gets scratched so much he doesn't score much. (Maybe they're scratching him to avoid an injury before the trade deadline?)

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Do you see any way he is the coach of the next cycle for the Blues? The guy to develop the young players coming in for a few years (maybe being replaced when the team is a contender, maybe not)?

I just see no way that's how it plays out. And I think Berube is actually a really good developmental coach. But I think coaches DO have a shelf life and he appears to have lost the thread in strategy. The defensive system last year was a wreck. Special teams were both terrible. What did the Blues do well? I know we can always upgrade players, but the coaching bears some responsibility there.

Whew! So he can retain trade value even if he gets scratched so much he doesn't score much. (Maybe they're scratching him to avoid an injury before the trade deadline?)
I don’t expect berube back next year. I could see logic in keeping him if we feel like this is gonna be years before we are good and someone needs to coach in meantime, but if we finish in bottom 5-6 or so I don’t think he survives. We want to sell tix next year and need to give fans hope; new coach can be part of that.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I think it all depends on how this season goes. If the team is playing hard but losing, that's one thing. If the team looks like they have 1/2 the time this season, I think his seat warms considerably.

BluesHockeyGuy

Oct 29, 2023
Vrana had some chances on PP tonight and he looked like he had some extra jump after being scratched for 2 games and I think he had 3 shots, Colorado is just a great team, they have Elite level stars like McKinnon, Rattenen and Makar.

I liked the PP the Blues had some chances and they moved the puck around well, they just couldn't score, hopefully they turn it around, we will see.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
cause hes a floater and we already have kyrou on the top line to fill that role.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
TLDR- Berube needs to be replaced.

I actually thing that’s inevitable too, but I don’t see much benefit to doing so midseason.
I agree. I don’t like how he has handled things the last two years. But mid season isn’t a great time with so few options available.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

I wouldn't bet on it as the most likely outcome, but yes I absolutely see paths to that.

If the next cycle is gutting the team and developing a bunch of young guys on the NHL roster, I see an argument to keep him around for that. And frankly, him reaching his shelf life with the current roster doesn't impact that much. If we're moving on from the current roster organizationally, then that gives him the green light to start benching well paid players and going all in with the "I don't care if we lose the game, minutes will be purely based on effort for everyone" hard-assery. While I don't think he is effectively doing that so far this year, I think he is also still trying to win games and I could see him pivoting to the full hard-ass "build a culture" coach if the front office communicates that it wants that.

I'm also still just completely unwilling to say this season is fully lost at the 9 game mark. The West still sucks and I'm not buying any team in the Central besides Colorado and Dallas. For as bad as this team has looked in a lot of games, we are 2 points out of a playoff spot with a game in hand and 3 points out of the C3 spot with a game in hand. I won't be remotely surprised if teams 3-8 in the Central all hover right around a .500 points percentage pace all season with the C3 and maybe even the WC2 spot both going to whatever deeply flawed team happens to go on a 12 game heater at some point. We have a bunch of streaky forwards and it wouldn't surprise me at all if we happen to get hot for a month offensively and rattle of a nice win streak. The D system is still looking coherent and a large improvement over last season. The way we are winning and losing is very different from last year's team.

Again, would I bet on this at even odds? Absolutely not. But I wouldn't be stunned if it happened. This conference absolutely sucks and I could absolutely see Berube being retained for another retooling year with more youngsters in 2024/25 if we show progress and sneak into the playoffs.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I agree about the heater part. Basically whichever team can string together a decent two month stretch is probably grabbing the 3C playoff spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad