Why is TD Garden a House of Horrors for the Bruins?

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
We are 16-15 in game 7's all-time.
I think we have both the most wins and the most losses. Habs are 15-7.

As a kid I remember 1971 losing game 7 4-2 to the Habs. Myself and a few buddies were able to meet Rejean Houle (GM of the Habs at that time) in Edmonton in '95 at Hotel MacDonald. I told him I remember his goal in that game. He asked "how do you remember that?" I told him a person remembers all the good times but as well all the bad times. That was a bad time.:confused:

Losing game 7's in '79 and 40 years later in 2019. Ouch and ouch!
2019 I never saw game 7 as we were in Berlin at the time. I totally expected us to win. I woke up at 5am, looked at my phone...2 minutes left Blues were winning 4-1 or some crap like that.
I've never watched the hilites from that game.
Never will.

Home ice has changed, for everyone. Not sure if it's that big of advantage anymore. Watching Canes home games at least a 3rd of the crowd were Ranger fans.

But we have it good.
Watching the Leafs play any games at any given time has to be depressing for the players.
The bottom bowl is occupied by stiffs who just go there to be seen and usually do not make it back to their seats until the 8 minute mark of the period as they are in the club downstairs drinking champagne and eating Caviar. 80%+ empty at the beginning of the period.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
We are 16-15 in game 7's all-time.
I think we have both the most wins and the most losses. Habs are 15-7.
Montreal usually avoided Game 7s by winning in 6 games or less.

The beancounters in Buffalo will consider this year an improvement with 7 home playoff games; we all know this is a business first. Throw in that their tenant should have at least 6 more home dates and things are good.

I have to agree with Charlie Jacobs that the Boston market will not support a rebuild or at least understand his fears of that. I am shocked that Chicago's attendance has not tanked so maybe our fanbase could stomach one.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
An excellent strategy, if I do say so myself. The Bruins should try it.
The beancounters in Buffalo will consider this year an improvement with 7 home playoff games; we all know this is a business first. Throw in that their tenant should have at least 6 more home dates and things are good.
Can’t argue with that.
I have to agree with Charlie Jacobs that the Boston market will not support a rebuild or at least understand his fears of that. I am shocked that Chicago's attendance has not tanked so maybe our fanbase could stomach one.
I think Jacobs the Younger underestimates the fans of this team. A little honesty and transparency might - just might - earn the Jacobs family a little respect and goodwill from the ursine faithful. An accidental Stanley Cup championship (we all know that the entire solar system lined up for that one) every 50 years is an insult to his loyal customers. Maybe we would stomach a bad year or two here and there in exchange for more championships and higher quality games.

Nobody can tread water forever.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

Correction/clarification: the Boston market will not support a rebuild at current insane prices and may not sell out every game.

The fans will support a rebuild. This is one of the most educated and knowledgeable fan bases in the league.

Every night won’t be a sellout and prices will need to come down. That’s his fear.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Correction/clarification: the Boston market will not support a rebuild at current insane prices and may not sell out every game.

The fans will support a rebuild. This is one of the most educated and knowledgeable fan bases in the league.

Every night won’t be a sellout and prices will need to come down. That’s his fear.
Bingo. Right on the money as usual.

Kicking the can down the road on a rebuild will only lead to a collapse eventually. Charlie Jacobs will waste David Pastranak’s Bruins career playing for a “competitive” team, but not a legitimate “contender.” When Pasta reaches the end of this contract and STILL doesn’t have a Stanley Cup championship, he will leave, and the Bruins will bottom out like they did in 2006.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
First off, Bon Jovi is not the reason the Bruins give home ice a bad name. Last night Evander Kane scored as the crowd was singing Livin' On a Prayer; right in rhythm, it was glorious.

And blaming the ice, while not without merit, is a copout. If the B's were a young, speedy team relying on finesse, maybe. But then they'd struggle equally in the regular season.

My belief is it's the Bruins' psychological approach. They are all character guys both on and off the ice. They maintain an even keel, win or lose.

That's a great formula for a productive life; but when other teams play as if their lives depend on it, the Bruins don't (with the exception of 2011).

John Tortorella told his Lightning players before Game Seven in 2004, that if they won that game, they'd walk together forever.

In 2019, the biggest missed opportunity, for that one night, Jordan Binnington played as if his life depended on it. No one would argue Binnington is a better goalie than Tuuka Rask, but for one very important game, he was. And how could Marchand make that line change?

Bruce Cassiddy tried to get through to them, but was ousted.

Don't hate me, but I'm a big Matthew Tkachuk fan. I've heard interviews with him since the beginning of the season, and the bad taste from losing to Vegas is with him constantly. They joke about intangibles on the main board, but they exist. Tim Thomas brought that to the B's in 2011, but they haven't had it since.

Same with Florida in Game Seven last year. A simple face-off win, a simple clear, a block or save, etc. I'm usually not big on cliches, but when players say it's about who wants it more, in all these home losses, I've never felt the B's were the team that wanted it more.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Globe:

ETC.​

Home ice not​

quite an advantage​

Prior to Friday night’s faceoff vs. the Panthers, the Bruins were 2-4 on home ice, following their 1-3 Causeway Street performance in last spring’s playoffs. So much for home-ice advantage in the postseason.

The Bruins were 24-11-6 at home in the 2023-24 regular season, following last season’s 34-4-3 performance, Combined, they won 58 of 82 home games, a .707 winning percentage.

“For whatever reason, post-salary cap,” mused Bruins coach Jim Montgomery, “the differences between teams are so small now, percentage-wise, you don’t see the discrepancy in home wins like you used to.”

Through playoff games of Thursday night, home teams were underwater (30-34). Home teams also finished below . 500 (40-47) during last year’s playoffs.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

I don't think so.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
@Fenway why is Jacobs blocking Boston from getting a WNBA team? Celtics owners are on record as wanting one but don't own the building and JJ will do anything to sell more hot dogs. There is no overlap really with the Bruins and Celtics.

Tsongas was full for WPHL he's clearly the one standing in the way of Boston having a team. I can't root for the CT Sun. Great game so far right now Sun and Fever.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Yes

The Celtics did after big 3 left

Patriots $8 tickets on secondary market for last game of season

Red Sox walk up by cheap seats sit basically wherever

Bruins will get their day

First off, Bon Jovi is not the reason the Bruins give home ice a bad name. Last night Evander Kane scored as the crowd was singing Livin' On a Prayer; right in rhythm, it was glorious.

And blaming the ice, while not without merit, is a copout. If the B's were a young, speedy team relying on finesse, maybe. But then they'd struggle equally in the regular season.

My belief is it's the Bruins' psychological approach. They are all character guys both on and off the ice. They maintain an even keel, win or lose.

That's a great formula for a productive life; but when other teams play as if their lives depend on it, the Bruins don't (with the exception of 2011).

John Tortorella told his Lightning players before Game Seven in 2004, that if they won that game, they'd walk together forever.

In 2019, the biggest missed opportunity, for that one night, Jordan Binnington played as if his life depended on it. No one would argue Binnington is a better goalie than Tuuka Rask, but for one very important game, he was. And how could Marchand make that line change?

Bruce Cassiddy tried to get through to them, but was ousted.

Don't hate me, but I'm a big Matthew Tkachuk fan. I've heard interviews with him since the beginning of the season, and the bad taste from losing to Vegas is with him constantly. They joke about intangibles on the main board, but they exist. Tim Thomas brought that to the B's in 2011, but they haven't had it since.

Same with Florida in Game Seven last year. A simple face-off win, a simple clear, a block or save, etc. I'm usually not big on cliches, but when players say it's about who wants it more, in all these home losses, I've never felt the B's were the team that wanted it more.
Orlov hit the cross bar up 3-2 last few minutes - they missed open net on clear

That close game 7

Game 5 Marchand breakaway

Reactions: Gordoff

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Yes

The Celtics did after big 3 left

Patriots $8 tickets on secondary market for last game of season

Red Sox walk up by cheap seats sit basically wherever

Bruins will get their day

Orlov hit the cross bar up 3-2 last few minutes - they missed open net on clear

That close game 7

Game 5 Marchand breakaway
Harry made the playoffs 30 years straight when we were the Oakland As. Since Jacobs defeated the PA and got the cap we’ve been goood every year after those first two.

People wanting us to actually suck and pick top 5 better not get their hopes up. It might be decades and they may not be alive to see it.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
I always thought that Claude was the master at matching lines. Bruce and Monty, not so much. To me, that is the #1 advantage of home ice.

My only other question, which Fenway would know, is how much of a pain is it to get into the garden as opposed to other rinks in the league. I imagine it is a similar commute to home games for half the teams in the league. But is it more relaxing to take the bus from the hotel to those arenas? Not sure if that is a factor or not, but I wouldn't want to commute to North Station by car on a weekday afternoon.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
@Fenway why is Jacobs blocking Boston from getting a WNBA team? Celtics owners are on record as wanting one but don't own the building and JJ will do anything to sell more hot dogs. There is no overlap really with the Bruins and Celtics.

Tsongas was full for WPHL he's clearly the one standing in the way of Boston having a team. I can't root for the CT Sun. Great game so far right now Sun and Fever.
YOU just answered your own question in the same post..... Connecticut is the WNBA VERSION of the C's likely because of the history at XL.... you didn't realize the Sun were in the same building as the Magic and the Solar Bears (ECHL) as the Orlando Miracle.... the major reason the Sun are at MSA IS the tribe bought the team when the WNBA changed their MO from NBA Ownership to private ownership.... it's also why the NBA started backing the D-League (G-League) into what it's now become as every NBA team now owns/operates their Affiliates

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Raycroft made an interesting point about this yesterday. He said that it seems like home ice isn’t as big anymore because teams are so similar now.

The talent level, especially among the bottom 6 players is thin, so the opportunity to take advantage of a matchup isn’t the same as it once was.

In the past, if the fourth line got hemmed in and iced it, the coach would put out his first or second line to take advantage.

Now, the fourth line can often at least skate with other first or second lines well enough to get through the shift more than a fourth line of the past would.

I’d have to see the league wide numbers about home/away playoff results before I buy in entirely, but it makes some sense.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Harry made the playoffs 30 years straight when we were the Oakland As. Since Jacobs defeated the PA and got the cap we’ve been goood every year after those first two.

People wanting us to actually suck and pick top 5 better not get their hopes up. It might be decades and they may not be alive to see it.
Bruins have top 5 (maybe 1) goaltending & D

All young and signed and getting better

Carlo got better defensively and took a significant step in physicality

Lohrei will be better- Peeke as well

McAvoy led playoffs in hits with one hand (oh yeh he said ‘all good’ on Sunday :laugh:

Raycroft made an interesting point about this yesterday. He said that it seems like home ice isn’t as big anymore because teams are so similar now.

The talent level, especially among the bottom 6 players is thin, so the opportunity to take advantage of a matchup isn’t the same as it once was.

In the past, if the fourth line got hemmed in and iced it, the coach would put out his first or second line to take advantage.

Now, the fourth line can often at least skate with other first or second lines well enough to get through the shift more than a fourth line of the past would.

I’d have to see the league wide numbers about home/away playoff results before I buy in entirely, but it makes some sense.
Couldn’t disagree more

Was talking with Joe & Lou last couple of days how good and deep the bottom 6 is

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Bruins have top 5 (maybe 1) goaltending & D

All young and signed and getting better

Carlo got better defensively and took a significant step in physicality

Lohrei will be better- Peeke as well

McAvoy led playoffs in hits with one hand (oh yeh he said ‘all good’ on Sunday :laugh:

Couldn’t disagree more

Was talking with Joe & Lou last couple of days how good and deep the bottom 6 is

That was the point. Everyone’s got a deep and skilled bottom 6 as compared to 20-25 years ago.

Fourth lines can no longer be taken advantage of to the degree that they used to be when the were chock full of goons.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
That was the point. Everyone’s got a deep and skilled bottom 6 as compared to 20-25 years ago.

Fourth lines can no longer be taken advantage of to the degree that they used to be when the were chock full of goons.
Ok I thought you were saying they didn’t have a quality bottom 6

Bruins led league in hits in playoffs and 2 regular season - physical group

Even without Lucic

Reactions: sarge88

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I think in situations like this, you can’t look at it as one sum of data but rather analyze each series, each loss, each of the two teams you see within them.

Little things like pressure, lack of road bonding and mentality, and bad ice definitely contribute. Keeping things simple has been a real issue for the bruins for awhile now. Since the Cassidy days really. A huge reason they lost 2019 was overpassing and not keeping it simple, if you watch that game they come out flying it’s not for a lack of effort. Tons of shots but too much triangle type formations and fancy passing. Road teams tend to keep it simple.

You can run through each loss and break down reasons why they lost that isn’t exclusive to being at the td garden. I might edit my post later and do so

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire

they got a generational talent to watch

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Ok I thought you were saying they didn’t have a quality bottom 6

Bruins led league in hits in playoffs and 2 regular season - physical group

Even without Lucic

Yeah he had a typo in there, it got me too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad