Why is McDavid so little known outside of hockey?

Apr 29, 2017
This.

It's because he's in a canadian market.
Gretzky was the 1982 SI Sportsman of the year and had at least 7 covers on SI before he was traded to LA. In those days real sports fans read Sports Illustrated. Pretty amazing that someone who played in Edmonton in the 80s was this well known. And this happened before the internet existed.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
Gretzky was the 1982 SI Sportsman of the year and had at least 7 covers on SI before he was traded to LA. In those days real sports fans read Sports Illustrated. Pretty amazing that someone who played in Edmonton in the 80s was this well known. And this happened before the internet existed.
Yet somehow with the internet and social media it can’t be done

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Gretzky also shattered the single season points record by like 60 points that season.

He was another animal altogether.

Also, athletes that played in the 80s were more well known than today. People only had mainstream media. Micheal Jackson was way bigger than any singer today. MASH and Dallas had bigger TV ratings than anything today.

People have way more choices in what they want to follow today. Things spread faster today because of the internet. but they never get as widely followed.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I can see why you keep your posts short given your braille keyboard.
1723224673835.gif

Reactions: dukeofjive

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
If you watched the Paris Olympics you can understand why mcdavid is unknown and the nhl is losing ground. Star power, drama and pop culture is what sells . Why the nhl and hockey players can’t figure this out is beyond me.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If you watched the Paris Olympics you can understand why mcdavid is unknown and the nhl is losing ground. Star power, drama and pop culture is what sells . Why the nhl and hockey players can’t figure this out is beyond me.

There's nothing to "figure out". If you want big personalities and/or embarrassing memes like the Australian break dancing lady, hockey isn't going to be the sport for you.

A lot of the "popular" US athletes are grandfathered in from past decades of marketing too ... yeah you know Steph Curry and LeBron James (who's been playing for 20 freaking years). How many people know any of the US basketball "stars" that are McDavid's age? Anyone know Anthony Edwards that aren't big basketball fans?

The most talked about Olympics stars otherwise were all "meme" athletes, the Turkish guy who looked like he just walked off the street corner to compete, the Australian break dancing lady who embarrassed herself, and the Algerian boxer who was in the middle of a gender row. How exactly do you propose hockey players get in on that?

Last edited:

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
There's nothing to "figure out". If you want big personalities and/or embarrassing memes like the Australian break dancing lady, hockey isn't going to be the sport for you.

A lot of the "popular" US athletes are grandfathered in from past decades of marketing too ... yeah you know Steph Curry and LeBron James (who's been playing for 20 freaking years). How many people know Anthony Edwards that aren't big basketball fans?
More people then who know who Connor mcdavid is .

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
More people then who know who Connor mcdavid is .

Yes, sure, because the basketball is a much larger sport. Is Anthony Edwards a household name? I bet 80% of the people in this thread have no clue who that is. Or Jason Tatum. Or Luka Doncic for that matter.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
Yes, sure, because the basketball is a much larger sport. Is Anthony Edwards a household name? I bet 80% of the people in this thread have no clue who that is. Or Jason Tatum. Or Luka Doncic for that matter.
Still more then the goat top player of the nhl.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Still more then the goat top player of the nhl.

That would be expected, basketball is just by its nature going to be several times more popular than a winter sport played on ice.

The fact is the NBA is having trouble marketing anyone in their 20s into a big star these days too.

The days of celebrity athlete marketing powerhouse are in general not what it used to be. The 1990s was the peak and it's been steady downhill since.

yeaher

May 3, 2019

Shit look what happened to golden boy Lyles when he started talking shit with USA basketball team

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
That would be expected, basketball is just by its nature going to be several times more popular than a winter sport played on ice.

The fact is the NBA is having trouble marketing anyone in their 20s into a big star these days too.

The days of celebrity athlete marketing powerhouse are in general not what it used to be. The 1990s was the peak and it's been steady downhill since.
The death of the monoculture

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Who cares I don't know who the best player is in the mlb anymore and I even watch blue Jay games occasionally.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

We're part of the niche, of course more folks here know about McDavid than them.

Get out of the niche and enter the mainstream, and I'd guarantee you that all three would be much more well-known than McDavid.

Enter the parenting world of adults with kids aged 2-7 and you'll enter a niche where background Bluey characters are the more well-known than any athlete.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We're part of the niche, of course more folks know about McDavid than them.

Get out of the niche and enter the mainstream, and I'd guarantee you that all three would be much more well-known than McDavid.

Enter the parenting world of adults with kids aged 2-7 and you'll enter a niche where background Bluey characters are the most well-known entities in history.

Of course basketball players will be more popular than the equivalent hockey player, the same would be true of Gretzky's time, he couldn't even hold the jock strap of Magic or Bird let alone the marketing juggernaut that was Michael Jordan.

I'm just saying even today the NBA is having massive problems marketing a new generation of stars. A Luka Doncic or Giannis at age 27/28 is nowhere near the popularity of a Kobe Bryant or even Allen Iverson at the equivalent age.

Most sports are the same. Which golfer has golf been able to produce in the last 20 years that has 1/10th of the popularity of Tiger Woods?

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
This is pretty true
I don’t follow many other sports other than hockey & if you asked me to name 20 guys in the nfl/nba/baseball I’d have a pretty tough time as I pay zero attention to it

Reactions: dukeofjive

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I think NHL Players at a Winter Olympics that's held in Europe will give him a pretty big stage. While the Winter Olympics aren't as big as the Summer Olympics, Ice Hockey is still a premiere event (I'd say alongside Figure Skating) at the winter games. These last Olympics held in Europe received a lot of buzz on social media and dominating the news cycle. If the winter olympics are a good showing, it will improve McDavid's stature a lot.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad