Why is McDavid so little known outside of hockey?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
He's the most electrifying player since Mario Lemieux and a human highlight reel. Blazing speed, soft hands, elite vision, passing, and IQ, scores goals, gamebreaker, he's got it all. So why hasn't his name broken out outside of hockey circles?

One argument I often hear is that he isn't a big media personality but neither is Crosby and he's the most famous player since Gretzky or Lemieux. In fact, I would argue Crosby was more famous before even playing his first game. The hype leading up to his draft was unprecedented in the world of hockey and made him a bigger media sensation than McDavid despite his wooden and typical NHL personality.

Another one I hear is the market he plays in, but Gretzky's heyday was in Edmonton and it didn't stop him from being the most famous player of the time by a wide margin. Surely, Edmonton wasn't a bigger city in the 80s than it is now? Washington also wasn't a particularly large hockey market before Ovechkin.

There is also the cup argument, but Ovechkin was a superstar even non-hockey fans knew about for years before he made the playoffs. I would argue he was also more popular than McDavid ever was before he played his first NHL game.

McDavid just won a Conn Smythe in a losing effort, but this has done nothing for him. Even to this day, people outside of hockey circles might know Crosby or Ovechkin. McDavid's name never approached their level despite being arguably better than either of them. He should have overtaken them by now as these are his prime years and these two are in the twilight of their careers, yet their status outside of hockey eludes him.

Even in his historical 2022-23 season, his jersey wasn't even in the top 5 most sold ones. In fact, I don't think McDavid ever had the top-selling jersey in his career in a given year.

I don't think there has ever been such a disparity between talent and fame. What is the reason for this?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
One word:

Edmonton.

Gretzky didn't become a household name (outside of Canada) until he was in LA.
He was still the most popular player by far. McDavid's jersey was outsold by a retired Lundqvist just a few years ago.

Look at the list of top-selling jerseys for the 2022-23 season.

q0thl9mhl1ya1.png

How the hell do you get outsold by David Pastrnak or Jack Hughes when you're a player of McDavid's caliber?

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
uh... what?

1722349703673.png

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
  1. At the top of the list is Connor McDavid, the star center of the Chicago Blackhawks and the first overall pick in the draft. McDavid's skills on the ice have captivated fans, making his jersey the most sought-after in the NHL.

Did I miss the memo where Bedard changed his last name?

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
He was still the most popular player by far. McDavid's jersey was outsold by a retired Lundqvist just a few years ago.

Look at the list of top-selling jerseys for the 2022-23 season.

q0thl9mhl1ya1.png

How the hell do you get outsold by David Pastrnak or Jack Hughes when you're a player of McDavid's caliber?
Again... Edmonton.

US fanbases do not care about Canadian teams. That angers people... but it's a statistical fact.

If McDavid was in a US market like Boston, NY, Chicago, hell... even smaller markets like NJ... he'd have a lot more opportunities and be more widely known.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The NHL is run by morons who don't know how to market. Outside factors like video games and movies have marketed hockey better than the NHL ever has

Look at what Dana White has done with a fringe sport.
That's mostly it. It isn't Edmonton, everyone has the internet now and gets exposed to all kinds of athletes. It isn't his very bland personality, plenty of stars in sports (Brady, Messi, Ronaldo, James) are as bland as can be, or worse in some cases. It's that the NHL has done such a poor job of promoting the sport for decades.

You always get people who think they are smarter than the masses and who claim that Bettman and company have actually done a good job because franchise values have gone up, as if that isn't the case in every single established sport. The NHL has lost ground to other leagues and hockey has lost ground to other sports, in USA and even in Canada. Hockey has less cultural currency now so its biggest star gets less too.

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
It's because he plays in Edmonton. I guarantee if he was playing in New York or Los Angeles, he would be more known to the general public. When Gretzky was traded to Los Angeles, it was a HUGE deal and his superstardom skyrocketed in the US. He's also not much of a media personality. People tend to know the athletes that open their mouth, for better or worse, in general lol.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Because the NHL is stupid enough to let a generational talent get drafted by a team playing on the North Pole.

The NFL or NBA would have rigged the draft to make sure he goes elsewhere.

Imagine McDavid playing in any US market and he's better known here. Not saying he'd be more popular than Lebron or Mahomes but he would be significantly more popular than currently.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Boring dude , plays in edmonton.

75% of the human population on Earth don't know that hockey is a sport ( I'm being generous )

Nobody knows who Crosby or Ovechkin is either don't kid yourselves

Because the NHL is stupid enough to let a generational talent get drafted by a team playing on the North Pole.

The NFL or NBA would have rigged the draft to make sure he goes elsewhere.

Imagine McDavid playing in any US market and he's better known here. Not saying he'd be more popular than Lebron or Mahomes but he would be significantly more popular than currently.
He would not be that much more popular ,

People can cry about NHL marketing and whatever ,

Not many people watch/know the sport exists , its extremely niche.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad